translate

Monday 28 August 2017

THEY DON'T HAVE A VOICE BY FIONA CUMMINGS


THEY DON’T HAVE A VOICE BY FIONA CUMMINGS

I wasn’t looking for you

I was happy by the beautiful view

The sunset and the sky so blue

The ocean so clear

And the tall church spire

Shaped like a sphere

I could only admire

The gifts all around me

Given to us

And without a fuss

We are determined to remove

Rather than show love

For something so picturesque

Here I must rest

On a fallen tree

Secrets the old oak shared with me

Ancient it must have been over a century

Ready to burn

It’s his turn

Logged for human comfort

How do we know whether trees hurt?

I’m not the kind to convert

Nor have I ever been an extravert

I’m at one with the earth

I never came here to fall like the oaks

I’m serious about what I do

Don’t want to hear jokes

But there you were

Standing next to the fir

Like a battery I was recharged

And my energy was powerful

You just were more beautiful

How could this have been

Was it a dream?

Perhaps

But like raindrops

It came to an end

I can’t pretend

I was broken hearted

I wish you were something I had never started

 But I’m left with something much more important

A feeling that is compelling

One that is more buoyant

I’m optimistic

This is real

Not plastic

If I can save one ancient tree

That will be a dream for me

Which will turn into reality

Whereas you and me

Became a nightmare

It was a brief affair

That took my mind off what I came here for

You opened a door

Then threw away the key

It’s all coming back to me

My vision is clear

No longer I fear

This is my destiny

The air that we breathe

We kill so we grieve

I have to get others to believe

We watch as they bleed

But there is no need

 We can change our future

For better

Respect what we need

Give water and feed

For these towers won’t hurt us

Nor leave us in pain

But will be here for all

And blooms keep coming again

After the autumn fall

Bare branches hang onto snowflakes

And as we wake

In Spring mornings

We hear the blackbirds sing

Then summer will come again

And fragrances we shall enjoy

If we can continue

To save this view

And honest hearts

We will employ

To appreciate what nature has given us

The trees are a must

These words you should trust

As we build a new town

Please don’t cut them down

They have come from the ground

A miracle indeed

They are the nourishment

On which humans should feed

The oxygen

Thoughts which must broaden

Only you can change the  ignorant minds

Please be kind

For you and your future family

For the birds in the sky

And animals on the ground

Keep this planet in a ball so round

Full of perfection

Head it in the right direction

Like a rolling wheel

Life is an honour

Not something we should steal

 

© Fiona Cummings

 

 

No comments: