translate

Friday 18 August 2017

IT'S A DOGS RIGHT BY FIONA CUMMINGS


IT’S A DOGS RIGHT

 

They are all amazing. Whether you have a pet or like us, a guide dog. Our dogs. I mean, they are always there for us, no matter if it’s first thing in the early dark damp mornings, in the middle of the night, after a long day working still we need to go back out, so we get the harness and off they go again. To the Doctors, hospital, dentist, chemist, pub, restaurant, theatre or shops, no matter what or where, by our side are our dogs.

 

If they could drive for us they, would. They always just want to please. What do they ask for in return? Some food and a stroke. We give them toys and a nice bed too and good vets but even if we didn’t, our dogs would always love us unconditionally. Why? I really don’t know. They obviously don’t have the gene that humans have where we are never satisfied, can be cruel, lazy and often don’t care about anyone other than ourselves.

 

No matter how our dogs are really feeling, like 6 a.m. when the rain is pouring down on the ground that is like an ice rink because of the nipping morning, still they creak and yawn and come wagging their tail “What would you like me to do for you today?”” In the rain that they don’t like they still do their best to guide us. If there is a branch hanging over the path, it won’t bother them as it’s much higher than they are, but in most cases, our dog will go right to one side and avoid it for us.

 

They are trained to do this, but the odd thing, my dog never did until this year. She is six has been trained for the past four years plus. So why this year? I guess she has matured. Or she has seen my Husbands dog doing it, they really do learn from each other. But how kind, to avoid such things just, for us.

 

If we are feeling ill, our dogs just know. They always want to play, why? Because they want to cheer us up and them being silly will put a smile upon our chops. I love our dogs so very much. To me they are our kids. I adore my Son worship him. I would die for him and I can tell you my dogs are equal. My Son has hurt me said bad things been a typical teen and now? Haha, he’s not a teen. He is 20. Our dogs never ever hurt us. They are selfless. Hub and I are both working now in between I am writing this, the messy writing may show that, and they know we need to be quiet and concentrate.  So, they are laying down. Still. My little Waggatail was playing rough with Hub the other night, odd as she never is like that with me but Hub loves the wildness of the beasties. The Little Fella thought she was hurting his Daddy so bit my Waggs. She stopped playing and he then sat between Hub and her. Protection.

 

Stroking a dog will bring your blood pressure down. Fact. Give 10 % love to a dog, and they will give you 100% back.

    

Remember that cute little pup with the melting eyes, will grow to be an old dog eventually needing help to walk and you will have a lot of cleaning up to do after it, so with that thought go out and purchase your dog. Remember that the cost of your puppy, will cost so much money whatever you think, double it, then see how you feel about having a dog.

 

A dog isn’t a handbag. It’s not an accessory. You can’t cuddle when you need it then put it in a cupboard. A dog is like a child. You have to be there for it and you shouldn’t leave it too long on its own. It’s recommended for guide dogs no more than four hours.

 

Please only get a dog if you have an overflow of love. Understanding and spare money. It’s often too late when we learn of our dog’s ailments. As they never complain, so it’s important to get regular check up at the vet for them. Every six months unless you do notice a change in their doggy doodles or eating habits. Weight loss, lumps in my dog’s case a wart on her eye that I didn’t find, but the vet did.

 

The best love you can give a dog is not to get one if you can’t give it your time and love. The worst thing I hear is “I’m going to get a dog for my kids.”” Oh my, really? Will your children get up during the night to let the dog out if they are crying? Will your kids feed your dog and not their junk food? Will your children groom your dog and take it for walks? When your dog wants some loving after a long day at school/work, who will have the energy to tend to their needs? When your puppy makes a hole in your sofa, or chews one of your children’s favourite toys, will your dog still be loved and wanted?

 

If you can respect your dog half as much as they will you, then great. You wouldn’t lock your child in a room on their own for hours, so why a dog? It still amazes me just how many people still leave their dogs in hot cars in the summer. Normally to die. Dogs really are a man’s best friend. So please please be theirs!

 

© Fiona Cummings

   

 

 

 

No comments: