translate

Tuesday 22 August 2017

WORDS FROM ANOTHER BY FIONA CUMMINGS


I’m off to give a talk today. To some very intelligent people. Gosh, what have they let themselves in for? Will I make the grades? Smile. And apart from that it’s a normal day. I sorted my clothes out last night. I’m wearing a black trouser suit with a light purple blouse and black shoes and matching bag with purple comb’s in my hair. I think I have purple lipstick out, from memory. I try not to buy loads of colours at the same time, then I’m not wearing peach blusher and red lipstick… My ap for my iPhone Tap Tap See, doesn’t read make up at all. Well at least I haven’t been able to make it work.

 

So out most of the day dinner tonight will have to be out of the freezer. I’m a working woman today. Smile. Not that stay at home mum. Gosh, I hate that expression, no, not a stay at home Mum, a full time Mum, but a proper Mum. I’m old fashioned and think there should always be one parent at home I know that isn’t always possible but in so many cases, that I know of, parents just want as much money as possible. So, they can send their kids to ballet, horse riding, football, cricket, swimming, tennis lessons, everything but a cuddle and that safe feeling of being at home. Do the kids really appreciate it? I wonder if they would rather have their Mum or Dad pick them up from school, talk to their parents about their trials at school rather than a stranger or keeping it to themselves.

 

Of course, our Son is grown up now, well, he keeps telling his old Mum and Dad that anyway! I still believe though, home is home and a cooked dinner is important. After a hard day in the office, or whatever kind of workplace, to come home and have nothing to do but relax, is so important. That is my job in life, well, normally, not today.

Controversial? Me?

 

OK, some useless Fi’s facts for today.     

I was reading before that for the first time in eleven years, Ben Nevis is snow free!

Translation of Ben Nevis. Nevomous mountain or mountain in the clouds.

It’s located in Scotland.

It’s the highest mountain in the British Isles.

 

 I also, read this today and wanted to share it with you. From a lovely lady. Nancy.

Good morning friends just thought I'd share a bit of my morning musings.  Life here on the homestead is one of hard work and simplicity. One of trials and tears and lots of laughter. And as I sat on the front porch, up before the light cascaded over the velvety sky, I wondered. What led me to this lifestyle? Is it a calling, passion, a touch of madness? My day usually begins at about 4 a.m., in the dark, swamping through the dew-covered grass to feed the chickens and ducks, collect the eggs and let all the critters out. For me, this is a routine zen. My peaceful meditation to get my day started. It is when the rest of the world slumbers and I can hear what my heart is speaking in whispers of contentment. I remember a time not so long ago that I woke up dreading each day, heart sick and wandering. Getting ready for a job that was too loud, too demanding, too overwhelming and one that ate away at my soul. Being among people that were too loud, too demanding, too overwhelming and eating away at my soul. It resembled the madness of a busy world with the callousness of neglect. I longed for a place of quiet, of simplicity, of connectedness. And thinking about this longing, I realize…. this is what my heart has ached for all these years. Hard work, quiet solitude and the connectedness of living a lifestyle that is simply…. just simple. Is it getting back to my roots? Is it the movement and flow of this lifestyle? I can breathe when I’m touching the green of a leaf, I can sigh in relief when I’m busy stacking wood for the winter, I can settle into peace when I am baking bread for the week and the aroma fills my small kitchen and is carried to the door yard out through the open windows. I can sigh in contentment and dizzying pleasure when my husband smiles as he bites into that first buttery slice of warm bread. Can this lifestyle lead me to money and fame? Nope…but it leads me to more than that…so much more, and the payment I receive are fresh eggs in the morning. A body that responds in good health from the work that I do. A contentedness that fills my heart and soul as I move through my day. So, calling? Passion? Madness? Perhaps a touch of all three…perhaps none of the above…perhaps loving acceptance of not needing more and gratitude for simply living the lifestyle I have chosen and been blessed with.

 

So Bloggets, what a lesson don’t you think? I remember the best time was spending time with close friends firstly in Russia in the very simple dacha’s, the wooden houses scattered in the faraway countryside outside Moscow. We spent many weekends there with different friends no hair dryers, TV or computers. Just good old-fashioned conversations. Laughing, making our own entertainment. A lovely lad I adored he was like my little Brother, we got a line of rope and used that as a tennis net. No bat so used a thick branch off a tree. We did have a ball though. We picked berries and swam in the Moscow river. Cooked on open fires outside as we washed in the same place in the garden surrounded by overgrown grasses, flowers and shrubs.

 In amongst unfriendly nettles, we walked and under the sun we made plans and had hope!

 

In most dachas, there was either a piano or some kind of musical instrument to provide entertainment by gas lamp at night. Back in those days, most children were blessed or in some cases, some would say cursed, by talent passed onto them by their grandparents.

 

Sadly, now day I would guess the talent lays in just how much money is in the pockets and blackmarket banks which hide away in the backstreets of the Russian towns.

 

The good old days.

 

 

   

 

No comments: