translate

Saturday 16 February 2019

THE EGG DIARY BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Good evening. It’s been a beautiful day. The sun has shone and it’s been really mild. Almost too mild for this time of year, but apparently next week we are to have snow again. Hub and I went out for our walk through the forest. It was unusual there are houses in this place. Like the fairy-tale Little Red Riding Hood! That was a strange story to tell children before bedtime, wasn’t it? As a child it gave me the creeps.

What am I saying, as a child? Haha. It still does.

 

A fact about the fairy tale. It existed for hundreds of years before it was recorded as a stranger danger story. First written by 17th century French author Charles Perrault, but in his terrifying version, Little Red Riding Hood gets into bed with the wolf and he eats her up and she doesn’t escape. I wonder what makes a children’s author write such things for young minds. I really hope one day to try my luck in writing for children, but I wouldn’t want to write stories that are going to be scary, I would want to preserve the innocence for as long as possible. May be to escape into a different world but not a world full of fear, for sure.

 

The village we were at today was so cute. It had cottages with smoke coming from the chimneys as I could smell the fumes, not too good. As a child I can’t remember fires smelling like they do these days. We always had a coal fire so I remember the smell well. Because of the fires, the air wasn’t clean sadly an yet there were trees everywhere.

 

To get to the cottages you had to cross a little bridge to get to the front door. Across a stream. The roads are very narrow. I guess they have been there since horses used to pull the carriages rather than built for cars. We could never afford to live in such a place. The houses start from £400,000 and that is for a two bedroom. There was one house Hub looked up on the internet when we got home and it was a six bedroom far too big for us of course, but for a laugh we wanted to see how much it was going for. it didn’t have land with it, and the rooms were not that huge. But three hundred thousand pounds under three million pounds, imagine that amount?

 

The locals are obviously very rich too. I could tell in the way they spoke to their children. Oh my, one woman kept telling her child in her plum accent to come quickly out of the swamp. Hahaha. Swamp? What swamp? He was playing in leaves. There are no swamps there.

 

A strange topic. Hub and I were discussing people who are dying normally in hospital who want to marry before they die. He said he can totally understand why someone wants to do that. I said I couldn’t because it must be the saddest thing to do. One, to promise your wife to be for example to be by her side in sickness and so on, knowing she is going to die very soon and two, for the wife to look into her Husbands eyes and know she is leaving him.

 

Our Queen apparently went horse riding with her Son Prince Andrew today. Remember our queen is 92. Good on the old gal.

 

Reading the news today one headline that got my attention was as follows.

“The libertarian fantasies of cryptocurrencies””

Yeah. Em, I didn’t read on!

 

A few facts especially for one of our Bloggets Terry. I’m sure I have shared this one with you before, but I like it. Octopuses lay 56,000 eggs at a time.

Heck, that’s a lot of omelettes.

But when the babies are born, they are the size of a grain of rice.

Egg fried rice then?

 

Apparently, it’s in a dog’s genes to follow you. Firstly, your dog knows if he follows you, he may get a walk with those puppy dog eyes pleading with you to take him, or he may get a treat, or at the very least you will turn to your cutie and talk to him/her. But it’s in a dog’s genes to follow the pack and fit in with a pack as best as they can.

 

Reading on about dogs today I learned they hate head rubs unless you crouch down to their level or if they know you. But a stranger doing it, they really won’t like it. It’s suggested that chin or chest rubs are better for your dogs. It’s also said that dogs hate mixed rules. So, if your partner hates your dog in bed with you both, and as soon as they go to work you allow your dog in with you, then the dog will get anxiety apparently. Which could lead to aggression. It’s important to give your dog the same rules and stick to them.

 

There is a link at the bottom of this blog which is a small article of interest if you are blind. I have been reading a few hopeful articles of late, but nothing that has made me jump out of my seat. When I jump, I shall tell you. But I have leaned forward this week in the ready position.

 

Well tomorrow is another day. The day before the storm. Or could it be your day after your storm? Well let’s hope we have all had a pleasant weekend and week to come and that your weather is far from stormy. Until tomorrow, with love.

 


 

 

 

 

 

  

No comments: