translate

Saturday 2 February 2019

DIARY ON THE BEACH BY FIONA CUMMINGS


I can hardly feel my fingers to type will be a challenge. Just got in from a long walk. Long for me. It’s my second walk of three and a half miles.  5.6 k. my first walk was just under that. Our dogs will be sleeping well tonight as they went for a free run first for an hour and then straight out for a big walk but this time on harness working. I came in, cranked the heating up and gave them their dinner, Hub took them out to pollute and now they are curled up in their bed. I’m sitting with a warm cup of tea and just about getting the feeling back in my legs. It’s fresh out there. On our way there it started to snow and, on the way, back it continued rather heavily. But whilst we did the flat lovely walk along the promenade, it was sunny without wind. The sea was lashing against the rocks and walls. I loved it. It is the start of me trying to get fitter. We walked really fast too.

 

I was saying to Hub the sea doesn’t smell like the sea, any more, he says it’s because they have cleaned all the seaweed up from the sands and it was that which gave the coast the fragrance, we all remember as children and even in my case an adult.  It was a smell that made me feel good. I miss it. The seagulls were doing their stunts but luckily, they kept away from us. May be our fir balls scared them off.

 

Our dogs are so good at the beach, we never let them off but on harness in the country my Waggs is shocking, will not guide too busy sniffing but at the beach she is fantastic as for the Little Fella he is fantastic all the time. He is such a goody two shoes. But not if you leave him in a room in our house with a toy, he will eat it or try to. He broke another toy yesterday. It was Waggs favourite too. If we were with him, no bother he will be so gentle with it, but leave him, and you are asking for trouble. We went into our conservatory. We were twenty minutes may be max half an hour. Returned to the sitting room to find a rather dead toy in the middle of the rug.

 

 I’m going to put the Lotto on now and then turn on the evening lighting. I put lamps on in our sitting room and conservatory. I like it to look homely. I was saying to Hub the other day, when our boy moves out, I wonder if I will still bother? I would like to think so, but who knows. I mean it’s not like they help us to see. Haha. I wish.

 

To live in a constant dark house though I think would feel odd. I wonder what my friends who are blind do? I am sure they will have lights on as most of my friends who can’t see, have people in their house who can, either a husband, wife or child. I have one friend who lives on her own, I must ask her what she does. Personally, I think she will have some light on, even if it is just to let people know there is someone in the house.

 

I have told you this story before though, a couple I knew years ago, she was deaf and blind he was blind. We visited them as they were an elderly couple. It was when I could see. I was a child I was with my parents. When it came to four in the afternoon, we were just about to leave. But for the last few minutes we were there, my Mum put a light on. It didn’t work. So, she went to the next room to put a light on there as it was winter and getting dark. That light didn’t work either. As we were leaving, the hall light also didn’t work. My Mum told them their lights weren’t working, turned out they hadn’t put a bulb in for at least a dozen years. Bless them. It made me sad though I was only about ten at the time, to think that no one visited them in the evenings.

 

There are so many people out there who never have a visitor. My heart breaks for them.

 

Well seems we have been to the beach today, I thought I would leave you with these beach facts.

Most white beaches as in sand, is the excretion from a particular kind of fish. The fish feeds on coral which is broken down within the fish and the little granules emerge as fresh new grains of sand that will eventually wash up on the shore. Well we are OK in England as we have golden sand…

 

In 1934, King George V decided that Londoners deserved a beach. It stayed in our capital until 1971. Obviously, the sand came from elsewhere.

 

Britain contains the safest and cleanest beaches in the world.

Our coast is only two hours max from anywhere. So, no matter where you live, you are no more than a couple of hours away.

 

Our coast is three times longer than the coastline of Spain and five times longer than the coast of France.

 

We have beautiful beaches that’s for sure. Walking towards the beach today, there were little shops selling buckets and spades as well as shops selling really thick jumpers. Hahaha. I love to walk along the beach when it’s nipping cold. I love the air. It’s so fresh. We have not only cliffs but miles and miles of flat sands.

 

We have these tiny beach huts people either buy or rent. You keep your deckchairs in there and anything else you may require for a day on the sands. They are in lines along the prom and they are painted in all different colours.

 

Well my Son is making his own dinner tonight, so a night off as Hub and I shall grab something easy. Great a day off for me and tonight Hub and I shall watch our TV and share a small box of chocolates we have left from Christmas. I guess undo the good work our walk has done,

 

There’s lots of work for me to do tomorrow so today is my chill day, as in relax also as in blooming cold. Haha.

 

Take care until next time. X

 

 

     

No comments: