translate

Monday 11 February 2019

SEE IT (RP) BY FIONA CUMMINGS


There are two clinical trials I know of running at the moment for treatment for RP. JCyte and ReNeuron, the latter being at stage I/IIa. Which is to evaluate the safety, tolerability and preliminary efficacy of sub-retinally transplanted HRPCS patients with advanced Retinitis Pigmentosa.

 

JCyte are working to create effective treatments for RP, through revolutionary cell-based therapies which don’t require surgery. I think they are onto phase 2b.

 

I was listening to a lecture the other day and I wondered if I was the last person to know this, so if you go for one of the trials out there where it involves gene therapy, you can’t ever go for another one…. OK so when I read this back in my head it’s quite obvious why, but I had not thought about this before. I guess if they mess with your genes then it can only be done once. So, people with vision, why would they do this? They may, get some sight back, but more than likely they will just not deteriorate! I guess that is what my Mum did with me when I was a child. She was told if I kept having my treatment in Russia, I wouldn’t lose my sight. But if anything came out later down the track, I would still be able to go for that. Where as these people won’t. but perhaps they are just glad to never go blind and they are satisfied with the sight they have. Though I used to hate the limited vision I had, I would do anything now to get that back as I do wonder if I am getting too old in reality to patiently wait for treatment to come my way?

 

Everything is down to not enough money. Then when they find treatment, they charge so much that no one will be able to afford it. These are people’s lives. This is real pain. Real hell for some.

 

A footballer today was on our news he will be playing football for an English team and earning £400,000

Per week.

That is absolutely disgusting. No one needs that amount of money.

 

I really hope something happens fast and safely. And I hope it will be not only for those who still have sight but for people like myself too who are totally blind. But if an angel came down now and said that she could grant one wish. I had to choose. One would be to give sight to those who are about to lose it, the other to give sight to those who are blind, I think I would have to say give it to those who still have a little vision because my absolute nightmare was when I was going blind, I lived in fear. When I went blind, I lived in hell but now after twenty years, life is never the same will never be right, but I’m not scared any more. I mean, if I lived on my own, then I think my words would be different. But as long as I have my Husband and Son, then I can cope. If not for them I know I would be alone and terror once again would fill my life. but I do know people who do live on their own and they too cope. What choice do they have? I just know it would scare me. But as it is now, I’m not as afraid as I was when I thought there was a tiny, as I believed chance, that I would or could go blind. And as I said when I did wake up on that horrific morning, I died inside. I visited the fires and felt the stabbing of evil pain. But now as it is, I sing with the angels each day and feel love and peace and I have to have some hope that one day, the sun will shine for me again and this time I will be able to see it.

 

 

 

No comments: