translate

Tuesday 19 February 2019

DIARY OF WRONG PLANET BY FIONA CUMMINGS


After a mini meltdown yesterday, there was some news on our TV which gave me a little boost.

This was news about eyesight. I shall give you the link at the bottom of this blog, it’s not for RP, but for AMD. The most common cause of blindness in the UK. And so close to what I have in a way, this is to stop your eyes getting worse, so again too late for me, but again, we are really heading in the right direction with this brilliant breakthrough.  To be on our BBC news too is unusual as there is never anything on our news about treatments for blindness. So, I was a happy bunny after reading and hearing about this. As I said, the link is below.

 

The hottest February day on record is to hit the UK. 18 C is forecast this week but then snow is due. So, in our street we have sun this is bringing out neighbours cutting grass. In February? There will be a frost and your grass needs a blanket. It’s far too early to cut grass.

 

I get asked to write about some really different subjects. Some things require a special certificate, believe me, and those subjects I won’t touch on. Yet. But todays email aske me to write about hotels. Okay, where to start? I guess I shall write about things in hotels that is said to be that are no longer. Such as remember when we used to be given proper metal keys to open the room doors with? And they normally had large plastic tags on them with the room number and address of your hotel. Well not now, you will probably get a slim credit card like thing.  I remember in Russia, we used to get the most enormous key rings. During the Moscow 1980 Olympics, we got the most beautiful silver solid metal really heavy bear named Misha, who was designed by a children’s illustrator whose name was Viktor Chizhikov. The bear was the simple of the games. A really cute mascot and believe me, you wouldn’t want to carry that round in your handbag and this was the reason they did this so you had to leave your key behind the reception so they knew when your room was empty so I guess they could take a look…  well just trace when you left and returned from your day out.

 

Can you remember guest books? Oh my, I do feel old. Before computers we had to sign our name in the guest book. still now in small B&B’s for example, they may still have one but this is normally for you to leave a review rather than any personal information.

 

Sadly, in the UK the Bible is seen less in our hotel rooms. I used to think that was such a nice feature.  I also remember when in really nice hotels as you walked in the reception, the carpets used to be so thick. Now they are ether thin or you have some kind of hard floor.

 

Ah, the good old days. The best thing about the good old days is they were good, but I wasn’t old.

 

In our news iPhone 11 will be able to charge other phones just by touching them together. That’s clever. But it will be far too expensive. I do have an iPhone and I’m so grateful for it as the apps you can get to help to recognise things is so helpful, though frustrating as far from just like looking with your own eyes if they only worked.

And other headlines read

Smoking stops body from fighting cancer and makes you 40%

 Less likely to survive.

 

Hub travelled to work today three hours.  Such a long way. I don’t know how he does it! My brother though works all over the country and in Scotland, he too is a work aholic. He has been since I can remember. Same as my brother in law and even my ex worked so many hours. Well, then there is my Son, hahaha, what is it with me and being linked to men who work a lot? My Son put in sixty hours last week and more this week. I don’t even know how many hours my Husband works as he works whilst in transit. That is a bonus when you are blind, well for whom you work for anyway, if you can’t drive. I guess that is when you work. But when is down time as he works weekends and nights too? Even when he is on holiday, his lap top is always around and is opened at least once per day.

 

It’s a beautiful sunny day cool but with the sun, it’s warm. There are no birds around at the moment, I really hate that. The sky without birds is really depressing. I think it’s been a few weeks since I heard any sweet songs. We have a wood pigeon in the distance and a crow visits, but apart from that, it’s silence.

 

And finally, food for thought

250 lbs on earth, is 94.5 lbs on Mercury. So, as it’s said, I’m not fat, I’m just on the wrong planet.

If we shouldn’t eat at nights, why do they put a light in the fridge?

Reminds me, is our bulb still working? Hahaha. Seriously, one time my friend went into my fridge to get some milk for a cupper. She told me my light wasn’t working. I said to my Son, darling our light is off in the fridge. He replied I know Mum it’s been like that for ages…. So why he didn’t tell me? Bless him, could have been because he just felt a little awkward? I mean, why would his Mum and Dad need one?

 


 

No comments: