translate

Saturday 23 February 2019

A CUPPER AND A CHAT BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Good afternoon Bloggets. I’m sitting in my living room with the window opens it’s so warm. February and 12 degrees but it’s so sunny so under the sun, the heat is so much warmer.

 

I have had to say goodbye to my three vases of daffodils that my Son bought me for my birthday but still have my beautiful roses from my brother.

 

My kitchen has amazing aromas coming from it as Hub is preparing us a stew. I got all the ingredients out for him earlier. Onions, garlic, mixed fresh herbs, mushrooms, lentils, carrots, potatoes and celery! Stock cubes and seasoning is all he needs to get. Did you know that 12,000 years ago, peas, lentils and barley grew naturally?  They grew in the middle east. We are making home made bread too later on. Did you wonder why a baker’s dozen comes to 13 rather than 12? Well years ago, bakers could be severely punished if they cheated their customers and way back in medieval England didn’t have accurate scales and dough can rise all different sizes, so the bakers would throw in an extra bread roll to keep customers happy and of course to stop the chances of the poor bakers getting flogged!  

 

My boy is working overtime again all day, but tomorrow is his one day off after working for seven. He has worked overtime every day and today should have been his day off, as weekends he doesn’t have to work, but he has chosen to do so. He’s doing really well at work and has been asked to work with the managers the past week. I’m so very proud of him. I just need him to enjoy life a little more and not work as hard.

 

Our dogs have been on a free run today. They are exhausted now. sleeping on their bed. I say bed, as they sleep together no matter if two beds are available. After they have rested, I shall groom them then clean the floors but first must wait until Hub is finished being a domestic God in our kitchen. Then I can do all the floors. I groom the dogs outside and leave the fur to my Husbands disgust, floating in the garden, for the birds to make their nests. My Husband thinks I should put it in the bin, but why when they can make use of it? I know they do too. I have seen their little birdie signs advertising (A goodnights sleep, come to Fifi’s garden)

 

 Now then sit back and let’s chat about what I have been reading about today. Have you ever wondered why our fingers go all wrinkly when we are in the water, such as swimming? Well since the 1930’s apparently scientists have known the answer and it’s caused with blood vessels below the skin that constrict which seems to have the evolutionary advantage of us being able to pick up wet objects more easily. In 2013, scientists did a study where they found people with wrinkled fingers as in after being in water, found it much easier to pick up wet objects opposed to picking up dry items. People with smooth fingers couldn’t pick up the wet objects so easily or as fast as those with wet fingers.

 

Cats jump into boxes because it makes them feel safe, there’s no surprise there, but I was reading today that big cats such as tigers also like to clime into a box if there is one in their sanctuary big enough.

 

  Pink for girls and blue for boys? Well only 100 years ago it was popular for boys to wear pink and girls to wear blue. It was said that pink made boys look stronger and blues were subtler to make girls look pretty.

 

Did you ever wonder why we say hello when we pick up the phone? Well years ago, our phones were left open all the time and businesses would pick up the phone and so that others would know someone wanted to talk, it was suggested by Thomas Edison, that people said hello!!!

Can you remember party lines, are you old enough? Oh, as a tiny child I loved them I remember sitting at my Mums phone table as everyone had in those days, they were a small table normally in the hall of our houses with a small chair near or even sometimes attached to the table. Why they were so small, I’m not sure, or was that just ours, may be yours was a tall table? I remember sitting sneaking in there when my Mum was busy, as whenever she caught me she would  tell me off before closing the phone, and then feel the Urg to have to go that extra step further and take the phone from me and have to go through the totally unnecessary humiliation of having to explain to whoever was on the other end of the phone, that her naughty little four year old had been listening in to their conversation. Hahahaha. I mean, if she had said nothing, took the phone from me put it on the slot and then told me off, but oh, no, my Mum was so honest and wouldn’t have been able to live with herself in her moralistic world if she had done that. Oh, but I used to love it. One day I heard a huge argument between two of my neighbours and as a four year old, I was more like a  mind of eight years  as I was far too old for my time on earth, so understood everything. Gosh, I’m not totally ancient so when we think back on how we have come along since, but sadly now we are reverting back to the listening days with our home tech such as Alexa and so on. I mean, you say her name to get her to talk to you but she has to be listening all the time to be able to know when you are saying her name? and, last night she started to tell us about some artist and then played their music and we weren’t even talking, spooky.

 

Our credit cards tell where we have spent and how much and our sat navs in our cars tell where we have been or where we are going, right? Our mobile phones can also trace where we are and what we are looking at.

 

So, when we used to talk about big brother in the 70’s and 80’s, well perhaps it was because our powers, were green eyed as they hadn’t learned by that point just how to do this and get away with it, but we just except it now that we are watched by CCTV camera’s and every bit of plastic we share!!!

 

And on that note, haha. My Husband is making me a cup of coffee as his masterpiece in the kitchen has come to an ending. It’s just ready for us to eat now, so I shall take a coffee with him and whilst he listens to his sport on the radio, I shall then do some housework, including our dogs grooming so until later, have a lovely day.

 

  

No comments: