translate

Thursday 19 November 2015

THE LIGHTBULB TURNED ON BY FIONA CUMMINGS


 Good evening Bloggets. Wow what an evening I have had. I was to do a talk which turned into two talks and how different and amazing they were too. In my life I have given many talks before dinner, luncheon and breakfast but mainly to groups like Schools, Brownies, Guides, beavers, cubs Scouts W.I Business men’s groups free masons and so on and I can tell you that tonight the second group I spoke to, the cubs, were the most beautiful intelligent well-spoken extremely well informed children I have ever had pleasure in meeting. It was a total delight.

 

The first group were Beavers and the leader said she has never seen her tiny kids be so quiet during a talk and then the questions began, that was funny. But the second group, oh my heart melted. There was   a disabled child there who had learning problems. Difficulty with his speech too. They told me that he never sits down for more than ten seconds. Well my talk lasted about twenty minutes and the kids asked such brilliant questions for around half an hour. They just kept coming at me and we even incorporated just general comfortable conversation but the best part was, I gave a talk at a girl guides some weeks ago with a little girl who is blind, the little lads told me of a girl in their school who was blind. I know that the little girl has had trouble in the past where children don’t talk to her, so I asked the little boy if he ever spoke to this girl. He said no, I asked him if that was because he felt the little girl was different to him? He answered rather awkwardly yes but was so clever that he also knew that by saying yes, he was kind of saying I, was different too? I wanted him to feel comfortable about being honest in his answer so we got talking, in the end, he said he was going to school tomorrow and would say hello, not only that but he would let her know his name. I told him he would be her hero as she would never ever forget that interaction. It was a lightbulb moment. A beautiful moment I guess you have to have been there and know the full background of this child. But trust me I felt my work had been done and that little boy will not forget tonight for sure. I could feel the room in such peace. It really was almost spiritual. Now I know I’m feeling better as the past two talks I gave to children, I wasn’t happy with the outcome. Tonight, so different.

 

It was the boy’s questions and comments. The knowledge that the children had. They obviously came or come from good schools, sounds awful, but they spoke with perfect English and were way above average intelligent. As for the little boy with learning problems, He was the star. He sat the whole time perfectly still and even asked two questions. The leaders said that he never talks. He was very difficult to understand and I loved so much in the way one of the leaders got down on the floor to listen to the boy so she could re ask the question in a brilliant manner so the child wouldn’t know she the leader was re asking as his speech was very poor and so I could hear. Of course I told the little boy how fantastic his question was, he was so happy, and that made me happy. To hear the children hungry for information about guide dogs and what it’s like for blind people.

 

I enjoyed the fact that I had two groups of boys not that far difference in age but how I had the small challenge to give two talks but make them totally different so I wouldn’t’ bore the  three leaders. The best part was they kindly gave a donation to Guide Dogs so that has been passed on to Hub to take to the office tomorrow and the next thing is, they agreed to sponsor a guide dog puppy. To name a pup. Guide Dogs rely on the kindness of our public I also tried to talk to one of the leaders about becoming a boarder for Guide Dogs and another leader a My guide volunteer. SO I got as much in as possible I only expected to give one talk but so glad two were fitted in. I was away for about three hours and I hope my little Waggatail made some life changing ways tonight, she was impeccable. She lay down the whole time of talks and questions and then allowed the children to give her cuddles.

 

The leaders couldn’t believe how calm the little boy was with learning difficulties, as they had another dog in a pat dog that goes into hospitals last week and they said the little boy was wild with that dog, but he was so gentle with Waggs. And she was with him. It was interesting to watch how she seemed to know how to be different with him.

 

I loved it. And the leaders were so incredibly caring it was one of the best if not the best group I have ever spoken to. I hope they do go for name a pup and I would love to know what name they pick.

Next week is the Biggy. I’m talking to a school of teenagers almost three hundred of them. Oh boy….. I somehow think that will be a challenge. But I’m up for it. The talk that is, not sure about the questions? Smile.

 

Right off to bed now, its half eleven. Teen? Not long been in from work but just left the house……

Teens. Gosh, you either love them or hate them.

I adore mine, but don’t understand him….

 

No comments: