translate

Wednesday 11 November 2015

A CANDLE FOR DAD BY FIONA CUMMINGS


A CANDLE FOR DAD

BY FIONA CUMMINGS

Another cake another candle

Another kiss on your photo on the mantle

I hear your voice though it’s fading now

You were the best you made me proud

If I couldn’t see you in the crowd

I would find you still

You radiated warmth from a chill

Your words were spoken

And I beamed with delight

When you left I was broken

In my heart someone turned out the light

Who would make me feel safe now?

Hold me tight

The pain was unbearable

You were so adorable

Made everyone laugh

Stories of your childhood having a tin bath

 Your friends who were so poor they had no shoes

You loved a bet on the horses though money you would lose

Your funny little sayings

I wished I had written down

The fear as you worked under the ground

You would take your bate

Wrapped in brown paper and some string

Bread and jam and a drink in a tin

You had a heart of gold not a bad bone within

Daddy I miss you so very much

There’s not a day goes by

 When I don’t long for your hand to touch

Today would be your birthday

And I wish I could bring you back

But wherever you are now

I hope your days are sunny

 Your nights are black

With silver stars and a blue moon

You have a beautiful room

 In a house for a king

Fed foods fit for the Gods

 And your horses always win

Wherever you are Dad

Don’t be sad

Keep that smile wide

For you gave me such pride

Blow out your candle and make a wish

I’m blowing that kiss

Catch it, its heading to you

I hope all your dreams come true

Dad I love you

 

Copyright Fiona Cummings 2015

No comments: