translate

Friday 18 January 2019

THE WEEKEND DIARY BY FIONA CUMMINGS


The weekend is here. BW didn’t get to the coast, Sham has a bad back. So, they have driven an hour away to eat vegan doughnuts… It’s a shame as it is a perfect crisp day and I think it may rain tomorrow.

 

Apparently, the Duke of Edinburgh, Philip, the Queens husband who crashed his car yesterday, already has a brand-new vehicle waiting for him to drive again. Shocking. The reason he said he didn’t see the other car was because of the sun… in the other car was two ladies and a baby. Thank God they were Okay.

 

Did you hear about the Antarctica expedition findings of tiny ancient water bears? How cute do they sound? I was so curious what is a water bear? Well I went onto Google, and I am none of the wiser. Apart from learning that they had snouts and chubby legs as well as little fat bodies and they live for many years, they can be frozen for 30 years, and still survive and they can go for so long without food. The more I read the more I got confused. I read they have even been sent to space because they are so resilient.

 

I have also been reading about the rings around Saturn, which they say are very young. What are the rings, are they   some kind of gas? If I were to ask my Son, he would tell me and my lesson would be two hours long. But he’s out…

 

Well it’s taken away Pizza for dinner. So, no cooking for me. Result. I will have three slices of Pizza and sadly I will be full. I always get a small one. And still can’t finish it. Leaving a couple of slices. Hub gets a large one. BW won’t be wanting one as he had them last night as him and Sham cooked home-made Pizza. But he said he will sort himself out.

 

I’m going to plan to decorate one of our bedrooms. It’s a small room and hasn’t been decorated for six years. And it’s had the same lampshade up that long too. I’m ashamed. So, on Monday I shall start to clear the room out by removing the pictures from the wall and in my head, I shall plan the colour I shall have it painted. I’m thinking of baby blue. Or some kind of soft blue. I may do our bathroom the same colour. Right now, the bedroom is really dark red well two walls the other two are beige. The bedding is beige with some red in with matching curtains. The lampshade is suede and it’s layered one line is black the next beige the next red. So, a light blue almost white, will give a fresh feel.

 

There is a play in London that is so graphic that last night someone in the audience fainted an ambulance had to be called out and it’s a sell-out. I do wonder what kind of person goes to see such a play? What kind of mind? Apparently one scene the man grabs the woman from the back of her neck and cuts her just above her eye. From the start to the end, it’s violent and very graphic. I just couldn’t sit through that.

 

I’m like a little girl as I have bought some plastic make up drawers. Sounds tacky.

They are, I’m sure.

And they are typical what a teenage girl would use. Not a (32) woman…

……… Stop it…

I am, 32… plus VAT… and any interest… in a good bank account.

 

I’m so excited to sort out and organise my makeup. I think I am living my girly days, even for half an hour…

  what should have been my girly days, I was a married woman, or child, depending how you look at the age I was.

 

35 is when you eventually get your head together and your body starts to fall apart. Haha.

 

My brother was also very young when he married. 18. He and my Sister in law have just renewed their wedding vows in Jamaica. They have been married coming up to 40 years.

   Imagine being married that long? If Hub and I had married when he finished University, we would have had our 28th anniversary. I was watching something on line yesterday where this lovely old gent was talking so fondly about his wife who sadly died. He was so very much in love with her. He sounded ancient. The lady was asking him so many questions about her. Hair colour, style, what her lips were like eyes and smile.  I really at that point didn’t understand what the interview was about, as she seemed obsessed by the ladies looks. I heard nothing only their voices. The man kept filling up with tears. He sounded like a black man but not sure. He was so full of love and missed his Darling so very much. They I think had been married 60 years when she died. Wow, to be with someone that long and then lose them is so very sad. It really is a part of your life…

 

Well I did wonder why this interviewer was going on and on about his wife and the way she looked. Then at the very end, she said to the man, well I have finished now, does this look like your wife?

I then realised she had been either drawing or painting his wife. Well he started to cry as he couldn’t believe the similarity of the picture and what his wife actually looked like. Now, the artist acted as if she had never even seen a photograph of the lady. And my friend Terry watched the video too and said that at the end the picture was put next to a photograph of his wife and they were identical. That is a great talent but also required the man to give a great description of his wife.

 

The air outside today is full of horrid smoke from the log fires in our avenue of all sorts. It’s so very cold out there. But so warm in our house thank goodness. I am blessed that we have heating right through our house. I never take it for granted. I remember when it as a child, we had a coal fire that is all until I was a certain age then we got plug in radiators and then when I was eleven, we moved into a new house and had gas heating right through the house, oh, it was so lovely as we moved in the snow-covered winter. At our boarding school it was really cold in the horrid long cold unhomely dormitories. The bathrooms were really cold too. When you took a bath, you didn’t want to get out, but time with our friends went so fast, we were hungry for every second.

 

Did you know that the world uses about 320 billion kilowatt-hours of energy per day?

The same as 22 lightbulbs burning constantly for every single person.

Solar provides only 1 % of the world’s energy. Is that all? You may ask, as I, did.

In Denmark they have wind blades that provide 20 per cent of the nation’s electrical needs. In Germany, there is a fiberglass and steel prototype which stands 600 feet, 183 meters tall.

In a beautiful part of England, the Lake District, 22 towers are planned. But locals are protesting. I agree with them. There are so many ugly places, why spoil the beautiful Lake District?

 

In Germany, they use burning vegetable oil and use about 450 gallons   about 3 per cent of its total diesel consumption.

 

All I know is we are killing our planet but as I sit in my lovely warm house as Mr Jack Frost taps at my window, I should feel guilty. I should put more warmer clothes on. We have become soft in our old age. Too comfortable with the fact that we have hot water when we turn a tap on. I do like the idea that cars now turn off at traffic lights for example. And in our local buss park it’s not allowed to have their engines on unless they are about to pull away.

 

As I already wrote about, they are saying we need to eat less red meat to help to save our planet too, well in that case I am saving my share as I haven’t eaten red meat in 22 years.

 

So, what are you doing this weekend? Working, playing or staying at home? Tomorrow will tell what I am doing and Sunday our Dogs are having their free run. They better be better behaved than what they were when I took them out the other day. They were really naughty, no way they would come back when I blew their whistle.

 

Thank you for the comments from yesterday’s blog on quotes, here are some more.

“Nothing in life is to be feared, it’s only to be understood. Marie Curie.

“some cause happiness where ever they go, others whenever, they go.”” Oscar Wilde

If you can’t be a good example, then you will just have to serve as a horrible warning.

A bit of a mystery, how can a two pounds box of chocolates make a person gain five pounds.

And finally, an American proverb. Before borrowing money from a friend, decide which you need most.

  

 

 

No comments: