translate

Wednesday 2 January 2019

2nd DAY OF THE YEAR BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Good evening Bloggets, whilst writing and telling you our news, I have our national news on the TV in the background. They are saying that children in England, by the time they are ten, have reached the sugar intake of an 18-year-old… they should have between 19 and 24 grams of sugar per day and they are consuming over 50 grams in one day. Children are eating and drinking, 22 stone, 308 lbs of sugar before the age of ten.

 

And now they are going on about Brexit, so my turn to close my ears and listen to the voice of my lap top…

 

As for our day. Well we got up as if we were going out to the office… that is what I told Hub. He laughed as he loves to get up with the birds, me, no, I like to get up with the frog’s croak…

 

And why did we get up early? Because our Christmas has left the building for another year. Yesterday Hub took down the outside decorations and today Hub went in the loft seven times bless him. To get all the boxes down. As I packed away the seven thousand and forty-one baubles…

Well OK not quite, but every single branch on two trees had a toy or bauble. On our big tree there were two very long strings of lights. There were light up parcels, snow flake lights wrapped around the TV stand. Lights around the piano and tinsel around the dishes of nuts and chocolates… as well as the wooden church and cottage I have and the fire place was covered in a very long garland and then the wreath as well as the huge silver light up bow, we have in the hall and all of the Christmas cards and candles. My large gingerbread man house, the Santa sitting near the fire in his rocking chair and the scattered cuddlies on the piano.

 

We were doing fine until it came to my bright idea of leaving the lights until the end and just loosening them and dropping them around the bottom of the tree on the floor. Suddenly it didn’t become too obvious, just how we were going to get the wires away from the tree… as the tree was lifted, as did the lights lift.

 

As I walked forward to try to pass Hub the first section of the tree, I kind of got tangled…

Well Hub tried to get cross but couldn’t move for laughing.

Whereas I couldn’t move as I was like a kid in a three-legged race at sports day in first school…

 

By this point I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. But laughter could be heard in the end. 275 lights now to untangle. Box after box was packed and put away. Such delicate baubles and toys. Old and special glass and new. Loads of tinsel too. And small ornaments as well as our light up wine bottles that have snowy scenes inside. I’m exhausted I really am. But we did it and what a team we are. I love my Husband, we may both be blind, but we really do try to do everything that would be expected if we could see.

 

We have a small tree in the conservatory, it stands on a coffee table. I put tinsel wrapped around the table legs. Hub was untangling it grumbling… I just told him, he didn’t appreciate just how artistic I actually was. Hahahaha. I shall not tell you what he replied!  

 

So, all away for another year… and guess what? we found one string of tinsel and one trumpet… ornament. There is always something we leave out, but mainly it’s away. Tomorrow it’s clean out for my robe. God help me.

 

My dear friend bought me a voucher for Christmas for my favourite shop.

All the clothes arrived today. Not knowing what I had ordered apart from description saying one long sleeved top with sparkles. One grey and cream top, with gold champagne bottles on it and a pair of black jeans with studs down the legs as well as a grey military coat… I didn’t know the length of the jumpers or material. Turned out they were long, great, but weren’t what I would call a jumper but more like a cotton top. The jeans were exactly how I expected but they felt like real denim. Sometimes now days jeans mean what I would have called trousers at one time. But these felt like real denim. Turned out the coat is really lovely. Asking my Son to describe it better tonight, oh, I love that, it’s so smart. It’s tailored dark grey and has shiny silver buttons. The shoulders and pockets have a tight pleat and the material is beautiful.

 

I called my friend to thank her and now to find room in my robe.

 

I have wound our cuckoo clock up for the first time in ages. Now it’s loud ticking is drumming in my ear, I know why I haven’t wound it up for a long time… some people have stunning clocks. My friend Pauline has the most beautiful clock as does Mary and Deric, my other friends. Me? Well our clock sounds lovely when the hour and half hour strikes

But the ticking? Lordy.

 

OK, we are now onto the second day of the year 2019. Our Son had a great day at work. He is working so much overtime. He’s now at the gym. And then I guess he will be around at Shams.

 

Hub and I are going to sit on our sofa and chill with our treats from Christmas. He has a full hamper of liquorice, I bought our friend some too. The basket it came in is so lovely. Like a mini hamper. So very cute with leather handles though the basket itself is cane.

 

I have my name on some walnut whips. Yummy blooming yummy.

 

But before that, I haven’t had any food today and it’s almost eight in the evening. So, a baked potato is going to be washed and cooked. And then I can relax. I made our boy a huge pan of food. What a stress ball I ended up over it. Trying to find the right vegan pasta. Then a sauce he can eat. Sauces without eggs are rare.

 

Hub has just eaten the food left over from yesterdays party tea. Sham put a hole in it but she didn’t eat enough… she loves it when she has her little tea party’s here.

 

On that note, I shall leave you with some words.

 

“Each year’s regrets, are envelopes in which messages of hope are found for the New Year.””

 John R Dallas

 

   

No comments: