translate

Friday 13 July 2018

THE ANGEL IN A UNIFORM BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Oh, over dinner tonight, Hub was talking about me, to me… I retaliated by saying well, you are just a hunky Spaniard. To which he replied.

“More like a chunky Spaniel!””

Hahahahhahahahahahahabhahahahabaaahahaha.

I almost choked over me strawberries.

 

It’s a boiling hot day. Our night yesterday was fantastic and tonight it will be one of relaxing out in the evening sun.

Tomorrow during the day our guy will I think be finishing off work to our lovely new sitting room. And then we can sit on a sofa. It’s been a long time coming. We have lived as if camping for a week. Though we have a perfect kitchen and bathroom, so not at all like camping then. Smile. Just no sitting room, no bed for part of our week and loads of boxes filling every space but now they can be all moved and life may get back to normal… The guy doing our place has been great and I can’t wait to see the end result.

 

Our Son and Sham are off tomorrow to say another goodbye to another friend. Last one went to Australia, this one Italy. Wow, Italy? On his own too. Why? Just feels like it. Doesn’t have a job, doesn’t know anyone out there… Same as the one who left for Australia. He got a job in a bar, but after six months, came back home, let’s see how long this one lasts. He wants to stay for a year. Oh, thank goodness our boy doesn’t want to do that. Yet… he is talking about going away for a month next year. Travelling around Asia… I pray he will have changed his mind before then… but what ever will be will be.

 

No sign of Shams sister having her baby yet. She is about 12 days over. Gosh I remember the days before I had my Son. He didn’t want to come into this world either… and who can blame him?

 

I was talking today to Hub about when I had my baby. I experienced the most amazing thing ever which I have written about before. I was on my own so much of the time. I went into hospital on the Friday and apart from my Husband I didn’t have any visitors, but mainly because I was terrified and had to be as strong as I could be and if a family member came to me, I may have broken. Would my baby be OK? Would he be able to see? As my eye disease is hereditary.

 

 

I gave birth on the Monday and Tuesday night, I got a visit from a member of staff. But there was something totally different about this lady. She looked into my eyes and as I looked back into hers, as obviously I could see then, I remember thinking how dark they were. And she said. “You have had a very hard life Fiona!”” Well the flood gates opened and it was the release of so many years where I had bottled up so much. She was so kind, so patient and full of brilliant advice. I wasn’t even sure how to put on a nappy as when my Niece was born, I was away at boarding school. Long story short, as the room filled with the most calming feeling and all the sounds left the hospital, I wished I knew then what I learned the next day.

 

I spoke to a midwife who had the same name as myself.

Bob.

Hahaha. Fiona told me she had worked all night there wasn’t another midwife on the ward. I said but she said she was going to make sure I would go home today. Fiona replied. No Fiona not a chance, not after what you have been through with this birth. We keep people in for five days when they have had an operation like yours.

 

I told her the lady sat with me for half an hour. I also told her what she was wearing. And Fiona put her hand to her mouth and said that was… and I can’t remember the name she said sadly, but a midwife from many years ago. When Fiona first started working there

She said to me didn’t you think it was a bit odd the old-fashioned uniform? I said I did look at her hat and wonder, as they didn’t wear hats by then. And she was wearing a different colour, but my head was all over the place and I was just so touched by her kindness. Fiona continued to tell me that there had been a few sightings of this lady over the years, but no one had been spoken to by her. Until me. I wished I knew then who or what she was, then I would take more notice possibly ask questions other than asking how to put on a nappy. But it’s a time I will never forget I just wish to goodness I knew where she came from and where did she go? I have written in huge detail of that experience some years ago and I know more than half of my readers will be smirking now, the rest of you will probably be calling MenInWhiteCoats.com

But hand on heart and I prommis this is true. And thinking back, once she went through the door of my room, I never heard her footsteps. I heard all footsteps in that place. Doors too as they left where the rooms were. That night, there were no doors.

 

That day I spoke to Fiona about the angel in a uniform, I was sent home!

 

No comments: