translate

Friday 27 July 2018

STORMY SANDS BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Our day at the beach was so needed. The air didn’t smell like the beaches do in my homeland, but still lovely air. And I was happy and surprised that there were hardly any people there. We went into a tacky gift shop, it was really spooky. No windows and thick curtains at the entrance which was weird. When I say tacky, there was awful rubber children’s toys like crocodiles and ornamental lighthouses but looked as if a child had made them… Sand shoes for kids and lots of shell windchimes and an owl made from shells. Well I just had to buy didn’t I. My owl is now in the bathroom as there are some shelled themed items in there.

 

LF and Wagga enjoyed their working along the prom. They have never been to the coast before, so they didn’t expect anything. Where as our last two guide dogs knew the beach very well and as soon as we got close to the sands, they cried wagged and pulled like crazy you couldn’t work them or you may have ended up over a Cliffe or high wall at least!

 

We passed the small cafés by the side of the promenade stopping for a cup of tea in my case, sitting at a small table listening to the sounds of the sea as it roared. Our friend told us that on the beach were loads of umbrellas with people hidden under them. As we kept walking we came to a funfair but we didn’t go on anything. It was like a ghost town from years gone by. When I remember my home town of Whitley bay, you could hear the sounds of the funfair for a very long time before you got to it. This place, no sound, no music or children screaming in fear of the rides. We even wondered if the amusements were operating. But there were such few people. We turned and went to a shop to buy delicious chips. We sat on a wall and our dogs were perfect laying down by our feet. We ate the chips from their cartons. They were hot and I had my normal intake of salt and vinegar. Hub and I agreed that they were the best chips we have ever had.

 

Loads of people came to talk with us. Or should I say our dogs. They weren’t working and they all asked if they could speak to them which was great. And our dogs didn’t get all excited. I think they were in shock what this week has brought us. They have been all over the place. From a country hall to a beautiful forest to the coast. The sea was constant sounds no clashing onto the rocks just movement of the vast water.

 

Seagulls hovered and our friend made me laugh when she told us of a time she was having a coffee and cake and one came to her flying in to pick up her cake… with the knife still stuck in it, he flew off! That must have looked really funny, especially with the knife still in the cake.

But they were good and left us alone may be because of our two dogs.

 

We tried to walk along the Cliffe edge but we came back as we felt it was too narrow for our dogs to guide us. There was a fence between us and the Cliffe… still though, it was a bit of a heart, in mouth situation.

 

It’s dangerously hot in my town where I live but at the seaside, it was absolutely perfect. The smile on my face was one that took many hours to straighten out… Hub loved his day too and the dogs were once again shattered. They have worked so well this week and have had loads of chances to experience such great days out.

 

Last night I was sad to say our week was coming to an ending. Today the sky is lit by lightening. It’s forecast that is how I know, don’t think I have been struck so can now see… the sounds have been terrible too. Hub told me he read on the local news that a house near by had been struck and its roof was blown off. We felt the effect from here. Our house shook. The dramatic sounds from the skies were so loud. I have a theory about thunder and lightning, but that is for another day.

 

Tomorrow we are spending the day with friends and on Sunday we may squeeze in one more day out. Pip is wanting to go out again and is so kind to take us wherever we fancy. But all back to work next week.

 

Tomorrow will be a little more challenging as we have trains and taxis to catch. We won’t be back till late either. Very late. And our city has a mammoth event on too, so the people will be so bad and the amount of them, oh, not looking forward to the transport but as for the people we are spending the day with, that will be special.

 

My Son had an interesting day today. He had to calm his boss down. She was going crazy w with a member of the public. Thankfully she listened to Boy Wonder and the situation was defused.

 

I hope wherever you are, you are safe.

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: