translate

Thursday 19 April 2018

MISCONCEPTIONS OF BLINDNESS PART 1 BY FIONA CUMMINGS


(Misconceptions of blindness part 1)

I would like to share with you my opinion on misconceptions with regards blindness.

In my experience of being blind for twenty years, I have heard everything that has been said about me, to me and about me.

 

Firstly, people think because we can’t see, we also can’t hear. So, they shout at us when they are talking. That’s even if they bother to talk directly to us. Many times, I have heard things like the old favourite “Does she take sugar in her tea?”” because of course we can’t see so that is obviously always linked with hearing loss, people feel the need to talk slowly to us as well… in the beginning I just excepted this but now I have some great answers and reactions. I either ask them if they are talking to me and if they say yes, I tell them I thought they were talking to another as normally people don’t shout at me or speak with such a very odd voice… or, on one occasion, I spoke back to the lady in the same manner that she spoke with me. As if my jaw was wired in a funny way so I could only move my mouth slowly… also I spoke to her in a loud voice too! The response was great.

 

Then there are the people who believe because we are blind, we have super powers when it comes to hearing. Seriously, I don’t know why we are not hired by MI5 to hear through walls.

Let me tell you. We can’t see. In my case and many others, this has nothing to do with our hearing. My hearing isn’t good at all. But I still have been told I’m (Marvellous) because I heard something. I heard it because my eyes were not busy elsewhere so my concentration levels were higher than the person next to me who’s brain was busy with visual things going on. That’s all. It’s nothing special.

 

We have to listen in our world. When I am out I listen for cars. Bikes, pedestrians, dogs if I am with my guide dog. My own footsteps as they are a clue where I am. I hear the air change when I come to a wall or a parked car. So, I use my hearing more than a sighted person will but this doesn’t mean my hearing is better than theirs!

 

I have been out with a friend in a café we were enjoying our chat over a cappuccino, when a lady came over to our table just totally interrupting our conversation. Absolutely ignoring me and turned to my friend and said.

“You are a kind lovely lady for doing this.”” Well, my friends face, I know her so well and know what her reaction would be. She replied to this lady. “What do you mean?”” the ladies response was.

“Well for giving up your time for this lady. Being a carer must be such a rewarding job, but not one everyone can do!””

Oh. My. Goodness. She picked the wrong person to say that to. I just sat back and enjoyed the circus as my friend politely laid into her verbally. Telling the woman of my qualifications and abilities and how dare she suggest that she was my carer and actually we have been friends for over fifteen years. Haha. The lady just went so very quiet and walked out. By this point the whole place was tuned in enjoying the performance. I must say I did cringe slightly and felt slightly bad for the lady, I mean, she wasn’t being nasty, just ignorant.

 

I know of people who have said to blind people they were shocked to learn they had children and didn’t know how they looked after them. Just in my circle of friends 100% of them are better parents than those who I know who are sighted. Of course, you will come across a person Mother or Father who is blind who will be a bad parent, just I don’t know them. Just as you get many sighted parents who really shouldn’t have the responsibility to even care for a goldfish.

 

School teachers are the worst in my experience. My Son is 21 now so long gone are the school days thank goodness as it was not good. But sadly, my friends who still have children at school most of them still go through the same obstacles and stress as I did many years ago. So, nothing really has changed. To share words like what I have written may help to combat or dilute the situations around blindness.

 

We can be part of everyday schooling. We can even get excellent qualifications leading us onto university and even come out with more than one degree and follow with a Masters. And guess what? We can get jobs. Yes, it’s very difficult to find employment if you are blind, as there are so many misconceptions, but again the people who I know who are in the workplace, do a fantastic job. And they do it for so many reasons. We don’t take time out to show each other our latest photographs, because we obviously can’t see pictures. We don’t take extra time at lunch and we don’t come in late most people who are blind like to be early rather than late because of transport issues. We can’t be rushing last minute hoping to catch the last bus. We like to travel when it’s quiet so this may mean getting the very early bus. We can’t see faces smiling for attention across the way, so we don’t stop for a chat unless someone comes over to us or we hear an inviting conversation. We have so much to prove if we are blind and if a person with vision makes a mistake in the workplace, then it’s because of so many reasons. If we make a mistake, it’s obviously because we are blind. We hate being labelled. If I make a mistake in the workplace it could be because my dear friend is critically ill for example or my child has a school exam or driving test so we are thinking about them. And that is another thing. Just because we are blind, doesn’t mean we only mix with people who are also blind. Guess what? I have friends who are fully sighted.

 

“What do they talk about with us? I mean, what do sighted people have in common with people who are blind?””

 

OK, close your eyes now. go on, just for a second. When you do, does this make you a different person? Are you suddenly wearing different clothes? Do you not need to go home and cook dinner tonight? Do you still have a wife? Are you still wearing that lovely watch?”” we are the same as you, just because our eyes don’t work, doesn’t mean we are people to avoid. So yes, there are people who have other issues for example they may have severe learning difficulties, but you can also get people who are fully sighted with te same issues. Don’t label us, we are like you and don’t for a second think that because you weren’t born blind you won’t go blind. If you do, and I hope you don’t. how would you, like to be treat?

 


 

No comments: