translate

Wednesday 25 April 2018

DREAMS REALLY DO HAPPEN BY FIONA CUMMINGS


I wasn’t expecting two delightful Polish gents at my door at quarter past seven this morning, but so be it, such is life. haha.

 

Yesterday, my Son brought back home his very posh new car. He took me for a drive. Then when his Dad came home, he took him for a spin too! I must say I really will miss his old car. It was so reliable but coming up to nine years old now it will soon I’m sure develop problems and we don’t need them. Though his last make was so trustworthy, not sure of this make. All I know is it’s a proper dream car for a young lad.

 

LF had such a long day yesterday and thankfully he was well and not like the night before. Seven hours travelling though, he was shattered when he got home as was Hub. Hub has gone to his big office today an hour away.

 

It’s cold outside but sunny though we do have weather warnings of floods. Again… thankfully I don’t live in the part of the city where floods are feared.

*She touches wood*

 

Shamrock is looking for another job. Again. This will be four in a year and a half.

 

I received the most beautiful email from my sweet much loved Blogget and someone I’m proud and honoured to call a friend. She told me of the wonderful trip she had in South Africa, a place my Husband keeps trying to get me to go to with our Son. Our boy would love it, but I am so afraid of SA. I had a friend many years ago our children were in the same class at school. She was from South Africa and she told me of such horror stories. My Husband visited there with his last job many times and loved it though he said his last visit was slightly scary too! But obviously not enough, otherwise he wouldn’t want to go back. Hub wants to show Boy Wonder the well, wonders of the beauty there and the animals. He wants me to see the elephants, obviously I wouldn’t be able to see them, but touch them. Gosh, I think it would break my heart. Just to know there are such evil people out there who would kill them for fun. I will never understand hunters and the few I know of or have known, are not good people.

 

That aside, my friend went on a stunning train. It sounds like a journey for a queen.

 

It is called The Blue Train. She was met at the Pretoria station where she was met by two very smartly dressed officials and they took care of her luggage and lead her to a extremely luxurious lounge. She was given coffee and introduced to her butler who would look after her during her journey. Oh, gosh, when she told me of her suite on the train. Wow, I so badly wanted to do this journey. The walls were panelled in beautiful beach wood and had really plush carpeting. An enormous window with electric blinds. By day it was a sitting room, and by night the butler turned the amazingly comfortable sitting room into a bedroom. During the day there were two deep comfortable armchairs with foot stools and a desk and chair in case anyone wanted to work whilst travelling or have food to their cabin.       The bathroom had marble floors and gold fittings. There was a fresh bunch of flowers in a lovely vase along with a dish of delicious fresh fruit, a bottle of champagne, next to crystal glasses and more! The bedroom by night had crisp white linen and fluffy duvets.

 

She had her magnificent meals in the dining carriage in the evening. Four course dinners with a vast choice of wines etc and each table had a lamp and fresh vase of flowers. at the end of the 25 carriages, there was an observation carriage with floor to ceiling glass. Oh, my, gosh, oh, I so badly would love this holiday. At first when she told me of this journey, I did think well it’s not much fun for someone who can’t see, as surely, it’s all about the stunning scenery out of the windows, but no that would absolutely suit me down to the ground. I simply love luxury and good food and I would be able to appreciate the surroundings.

 

She went to Cape town and oh, wow, she doesn’t write about anything at all that sounds threatening. Gosh, our TV tells of such different stories. I remember when I had sight, I watched a holiday program about South Africa, I remember the colours. I had never ever seen such vibrant colours. Oh, for sure it would be a dream of mine if only.

 

I wait with each breath to hear from my friend though she and I have a totally different life, I feel such a strong connection with her and would honestly trust her as much as I would trust my own Mother. And trust is something I really struggle with. She is the most amazing lady and I am so happy she had a great time. I certainly did reading of her trip away. The way in which she writes is like the finest art in the most prestigious galleries.

 

The closest holiday I have had like that one was when I went to Sochi at the age of 14. I said goodbye to Moscow, leaving behind it’s thick white snow and below zero temperatures and said hello to 37 plus. Red hot in fact dangerously hot weather welcomed us to the black sea. A black car met us on the runway. We were asked to leave the aeroplane first I didn’t like that bit, who was I? I was no different to anyone else on that flight. The car had a chauffeur who opened my door and a very handsome gent in his mid-twenties opened the door for my Mum. We drove through avenues of magnolia trees. The blooms hung so low to kiss our car as we gently cruised by in this absolutely luxurious vehicle. The narrow avenues only let one car pass at a time and to be honest if someone told me now that the roads to our destination had been closed for our arrival, I wouldn’t be surprised as we didn’t pass one single car.

 

I have written before about this experience, but for new Bloggets, our car purred to a stop and our doors were opened by staff of a stunning huge house. They even bowed to us and again, I felt so very unworthy. We were shown to our rooms. Two massive rooms, one bedroom and a very large plush sitting room with a fantastic balcony which looked over the grounds of the property with their little ponds with frogs croaking and by night dragon flies and candles in the trees provided the lights.

 

We had our own staff and cook in fact we were the only people in the whole house of many rooms. There was a huge room on the same floor as us with a piano. Oh, Bloggets, even now thinking about this, writing about this, melts my heart if only I appreciated it at the time.

 

We too had beautiful crystal glasses, decanters behind glass and bottles to entertain an enormous party. Of course, we didn’t touch the drink but what was in  a fine dish with thick velvet like chocolates disappeared.

Each day I was taken out on a speed boat with the young gent who met us and assisted me everywhere I went. The beach wasn’t like back at home with beautiful white sands but of stones I wasn’t keen on that or the heat, but the black sea was really strange and relaxing. I was taken onto other places like the silk road in    Samarkand and the tea plants of Tashkent.

 It was a holiday fit for a Princess, but I was too young and too in love to really appreciate it all. Even the day I was asked to plant a tree in the garden of friendship. Oh, again surrounded by the press and a crowd of people picked by the party of whom invited us there I’m sure, I was handed a tool, and asked to make a graph with my name Fiona Cummings next to our prime Minister at the time, Tony Ben and Yuri Gagaran, the Soviet pilot and cosmonaut.

A dream from years ago. And back to Moscow to see my love. Who I dated for two years. I am sure we would have married if not for the KGB, the Russian Mafia and the Russian Union. Oh, and the fact that my every move was printed in black and white back then.

 

Dreams really do happen. So, never give up hoping.

© Fiona Cummings

 

 

 

   

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: