translate

Monday 9 April 2018

GUIDE DOGS UK BY FIONA CUMMINGS


If I didn’t have my guide dog I would not be able to take my child to school. The school playground is full of children running jumping over a white cane even trying to take it off people who use it as they think it’s a toy they even try to hold onto it as we walk along. In the school playground there are walls sticking out railings parting the carpark from the playground. There are unsuspecting patches of built up plant/tree areas. There are not straight walls to follow with a cane. Even parents/teachers are very unhelpful towards people who use white canes.

 

With my guide dog, I could take my child to school with a clear mind. Half the stress and this rubs off on my child as he suffered with his own worries how I was getting home when I had a white cane. I can get back home with the knowledge that if I get a call from school telling me my child is sick I can take my dog and together we are a fantastic partnership. To walk along a leafy avenue hearing the birds singing, saying hello to passes by makes such a difference to one’s mental outlook. If I need to go to a school meeting about my child then I can do so with ease. If my child wants to go to the swing park after school like all the other children do, then I can take him. With a white cane again, I would have to stand at the entrance of the park and let my small child fend for himself. With my guide dog I am able to do a lot more keeping by my child at all times.

 

I was lucky I could train with my guide dog from home this meant I was still able to look after my Son as I had no support with caring for him. I have friends with partners who work full time and for them to be off work to care for the children for weeks even a couple of nights would be impossible. By me taking my child to school I was able to meet with people make friends and hopefully educate the public that people who are blind are just like them passing that down to their children so our future as people who are blind is made much easier. When my child’s friends saw me with my guide dog they wanted to know all about her, again educating future generations all about Guide Dogs. My Sons school even raised money for the organisation.

 

Speaking with friends in the past who work full time all say that apart from the fact they are sure their boss wouldn’t allow two weeks plus off work, they themselves would feel very uncomfortable about taking time off work. In a life where we try our best to fit in, the last thing we would want is to be made to feel different. Especially in the work place.  I have friends who care for their Grandchildren whilst the parents work and friends who care for their parents who use their guide dog to get to their parent’s house to see them daily. Without being able to do this, their parents would suffer in some cases not be able to live in their own house.

 

I may walk thirty  minutes per day but this walk could include taking my child to school, getting to work and popping in at the shop or bank. Crossing very dangerous roads, walking by places where there is a lot of street furniture example a coffee shop with tables and chairs outside. Impossible to do this with a cane. A dog will weave in and around the necessary pathway. Mainly avoiding a busy highstreet. With a white cane you can’t always stick by the edge of a path or a building, not when there are people standing around. A dog will avoid this. Thank goodness for this thirty-minute walk that enables me to live rather than exist.  That thirty-minute walk is a lifetime of experiences.

 

 

 

No comments: