translate

Monday 5 June 2017

THE KITCHEN DIARY BY FIONA CUMMINGS

Good evening Bloggets. Still cold. It’s still raining. It’s only eight in the evening but my love has gone to bed. He is so fed up with the latest in our kitchen. I think he is going through what I went through with our last builders. It’s been a long couple of months, he expected to walk in from work today and see our lovely work tops and know we are so close to being finished. Instead, he was given the news that there was more work needed doing. It was a close call today; the guys would not be able to continue or start the work unless our joiner came out to see what needed to be done. Well thankfully our joiner did come back, though he had some work to do for himself, to face being told he had to shave some wood as the work top at the back of the kitchen was rocking, so they couldn’t fix the work top until the post was up or shaved down. They have left the work top but it is rocking so something has to be adjusted. The men left the backs of the work tops too just the one. He even left a bottle of silicone I hate that stuff. Whereas where they have fitted the other work tops, they are perfect no silicon in sight, but one bench has to be fixed as the wood needs changing underneath. With blooming awful silicone.

The glass splashback had to be removed and taken away to a safe room. So again, that will need putting back on the wall. I’m just waiting for that to break. It’s been on and off the wall a couple of times but this time, the guys said that it was on wrong. They said it was too far to the right. Great, more holes in our walls, more paint work? Or do we leave it and just put up with it? The glass splash back was too far the other way and to get the work tops perfect
they need the things on the wall to be right too. It’s the back work top that is really bothering us as now it looks like the work top has to come off, the bit in the middle that really was perfect now has to have a haircut as it’s too tall, so this is why the work top rocks. Our joiner said he will do it all on Thursday. I just hope it will be OK as he will be on his own so who will hold it whilst he screws it into the wall? Who will lift the heavy quartz to repair the wood that will be supporting the work top?

Hub had a take away Pizza as I couldn’t face cooking again without water from the kitchen. No way I was going to eat a nasty Pizza. So, I haven’t eaten. I may find some fruit in the fridge. All day I have been starving for fried onions. Not sure what that is all about.

The plumber didn’t come, he said he needed a pint. Haha. I know that feeling. I don’t think he was talking about blood, either.

The plumber said he will be here tomorrow morning at eight. I hope so. Then the work starts again by our joiner on Thursday. Please God, let everything to do with our sink be there in the box?

Another day where we haven’t received our bits of glass, well that is what they look like. In fact, they are small clips that keep the glass shelves up. Again, something else missing. We asked for them on Thursday.

If I was to give advice, I would say, don’t get a new kitchen. Put new handles on your old one. Put a new work top or tops if you can, change the floor even your cooker, but never do what we have done. Though my friend has had no trouble with hers, we just gather lots of bother for others.

Silly things that really stop progress like missing brackets. Screws, pins or whatever you call them…
And in our case, missing doors. Two. And not small doors, oh no, the big tall full size 7 foot doors, so in metres, 2.13, just for my lovely new friend Milton who has been converting my measurements into modern ways, I still talk in feet and inches. It’s English. I’m old fashioned. I still talk of lbs too when it comes to buying meat and so on.

When I say my measurements, I’m not talking 36, 24, 36.
Haha, those were the days.
I think I was that for about seven months.

I mean, how can you lose two doors? Who checks these things before leaving the Wearhouse?

If you do want to buy a new kitchen, then go to B&Q. Buy it yourself never buy from somewhere who promises you there is no waiting time then takes two weeks to send doors out and goodness knows how long to send a tiny pack of screws and so on.

I feel for Hub; the stress is getting him down. I should go and see if he is OK, but I am on the edge too with it all. And in a couple of days I will tell you of something else that is going on so this is making it worse. But that won’t be in this Diary but my normal blogs. If you can call my blogs normal. Smile.

So where are we now? Well, the splash back is off again, needs putting on. More dust and shaving to do in the kitchen as things get adjusted. Sadly, our perfect work tops that are in will look lovely but same time stupid against one work top that will be filled in by silicon. And then, will it work? I think the guys were hoping that our joiner would do the wood today whilst they were here, but the fact is, he has his own work to do moving workshops and he has to be out by a date that has already expired, so he is on borrowed time. He has paid the young lad who is the plumbers Son so won’t want to work here when he sees his money wasted whilst the lad stands around doing nothing at his end. So now it’s a waiting game. As for the cooker hood being on too far to the right, not sure what will be done about that. The guys who came to fit the work tops noticed it from the top end of the kitchen. I must say, BW noticed something to do with the hood last week, but I didn’t want to know. The good news is, we have a windowsill. The bad news is, Hub hates it. I love it as no more paint. It’s plastic. The work tops that are in well, are, in well, and look amazing. I will try to put pictures on here next week. The kitchen is looking so lovely apart from the knowledge that things are a little off set. I would say we are about 90% done. I hope by Thursday, 100% then we have our first normalish weekend. We may even go out… I think our joiner will be pleased to see the back of our job, having said that, he then has a huge bathroom job to do and he said that will be for three months. Oh my, imagine that? 12 weeks of work done to your house? I think he may age by then as he needs to get his guys to turn up to do the work.

Though it’s been so cold, I need our summer bedding on. Guess where it is? In our lovely blanket box our joiner made for us.
Guess what’s on top of the box? About forty odd crystal glasses.
Guess who has nowhere to put the glasses?
Fifi.
Our joiner said he was going to make us a cabinet for our glasses.

Hub said we have fifteen boxes to empty. To be fair, most of the boxes have big things in them. Hub brought downstairs some plates yesterday. I took them and went to put them in our lovely deep cupboard. There were eight of them
Oh, no, wrong set, they are our posh new set that Hub bought me for Christmas. The ones I wanted are about eight years old and only come out at Christmas, now they will move on to being our everyday set. How did I know I had my new set? Because Hub said there were eight plates. My Christmas set as I call it, has seven plates. Boy Wonder as a child, my Teen in fact, dropped a plate full of dinner years ago. Smile. On Christmas day, full of, well, Christmas dinner.

To feel the plates, they feel the same. Imagine if I started to use them thinking all was OK. Then find out ten months down the line, my £6 per plate were in fact my Denby plates at £15 per plate.

Well I’m going to try to boil some water, sadly from our bathroom, then to wrest the boiler as it’s not a kettle, on top of our gas cooker as I can’t put anything on our work tops until tomorrow. So, boiling water on top of a gas hob? Wobbly? Boiling, equals dangerous Fifi. Hey this blind girl Leeds life on the edge.

No comments: