translate

Friday 2 June 2017

THE KITCHEN DIARY BY FIONA CUMMINGS

My kitchen Diary. Gosh, catch up. I escaped my living room yesterday and had a lovely day out at my absolute favourite tea shop fifteen minutes away from home. It’s very dog friendly and we sat in the garden. My friend is a puppy walker and her big lad, who is 9 months was so well behaved especially as the garden had flint stones rather than nice comfy grass. He is going to make a fantastic guide dog he is so well behaved. He has the cutest face real puppy like, but his body, gosh, it’s more like an ironing board. It’s so long. He is adorable though.

Oh, to sit at a table, to be served, was rather lovely. I made sure I filled my boots.

The smell of roses was just beautiful. The atmosphere was delightful. I have been there when it was so cold, and like yesterday when it was read hot and it’s a real feel good place to be. In a beautiful village.

The village is so quaint. Real English chocolate box! There are little greens a four-faced clock which has North, South, East and West on each face telling you, if you can see… Which side of the village you are? My friend kindly told me what the clock was like.

There are lovely shrubs trees and hanging baskets. Such village like fragrances. No pollution and drivers drive with care, not like maniacs as they do in my city.

Everyone speaks as they pass you by I could easily live there, I would love to one day, but sadly it’s far too far from Hubs work. It already takes him one hour to get to work each way, so his two hours in transit would turn into busy traffic time of 2 hours 45 minutes.

It’s peaceful though, so quiet. So, calming. It’s the best treat. From the description on line they have scattered old fashioned cake tins laying around and I know they use quaint utensils.

Back to the kitchen. My joiner is here again. It was funny this morning I’m standing at our little dolly sink washing a plate and I hear him knocking on the window next to me. So, I opened it, we exchange a polite hello. I wait, he hasn’t come in. He always just comes in. Nope, not today, he must be taking things from the garden to put in his van, like rubbish? Well, little did I know that the poor thing was also waiting on the other side of the glass. Hahaha. I hadn’t opened the door. I was sure I had unlocked it. He is filling his van with all the rubbish from the house and garden. My handles are now on the doors in fact almost everything is done, but some things were missing so we have not been able to complete the job also I’m having plastic frame I know that isn’t what it’s called, but you know what I mean? The wood that goes around the door, well ours will be plastic just like the skirting boards and they won’t come until next week. Possibly the end… We have our windowsill to put on again plastic as I don’t want to pay for painting now or later. I hoped that would get done today but the boards have to be ordered in.

All my shelves went in yesterday, well apart from the glass one in one of the display cupboards as they didn’t send the things they rest on. I’m so up to date with my wording, aren’t I?

The second lot of plastic covering on the floor comes up today, and on Monday, I hope our work tops will go on and our new sink will be fitted. Our plumber has to remove the temp one we had and put in the new one, hopefully we will have a certificate by then for the gas?

Today I will wash again the conservatory and try to clean the furniture in there. The sofa is filthy. It’s leather so I hope the dust will come off it.

I will clean the floors, glass etc and put things away and back where they belong.

Our guy is a guden. I can still trust him. I bet he will be glad to see the back of my house. He has done 90% of the work on his own bless him. Hub has done loads of removing of the covering of the units, oh, did I tell you about that? Our joiner asked us to have a look as he didn’t like the looks of the side of the units. They were a different texture to the fronts. I didn’t like it, but Hub tried to pacify me by saying he liked it. It looked like wood. Well, if I wanted wood, I would have got wood. I wanted modern glossy look. When our guys went home, I had a look. I thought there is no way that should be like that? I kind of picked a little off where you wouldn’t really see it.

Well, it came off. I told Hub, he said, oh gosh, it’s plastic like a film? Is this for protection whilst in transport? I said yes, I think so. Well we began the task of removing the film.

After we did quite a bit, I had a horrid feeling of Déjà vu, as I remembered a really cheap and nasty coffee table I bought I felt the plastic on the top of it and I started to pick it off, thinking it was the film for protection during transit.
Well, it wasn’t.
Oops

So, what if we did the same again? Especially when my joiner said he was going to have to put white caps rather than the silver ones that were provided for my glass splash back, but not to worry, as they will match the (WHITE) units.
Our units, are cream. Oh, to say we had a sweat on is an understatement. Hurry home Boy Wonder?

On our Sons return, we said to him, can you look at the units and let us know what color they are? He said yes.
His walk from our lounge to the kitchen was a long one, then he answered.
White.
Oh, heck. I remained calm, not to influence him. If he thought that was the wrong answer, he would change it to keep us happy.
So, I asked. Pure white Son?
“Hmm. Not quite pure white, kind of off white.””

Well, that will do for me.
I did say where they all the same color and he said yes.

So, we have either peeled off the tops of our new kitchen, or that was a film put on for protection. I tell you though, it must have took Hub five hours to remove it and me joining him for two half hour sessions of monotonous moments.

The mystery of our wall colours continues. As I said in a previous blog, some say peach, some say light orange, some say orangey, more emphasis on the ee. Some say apricot and Shamrock said lemon… I guess it’s at least bright.

Though the painter did try his best the walls are still a mess as is the ceiling from the previous builders. Which reminds me we have a meeting this Tuesday to quotes discuss the work the dreadful builders they, recommended did. It’s very sad that we couldn’t have a perfect job done because of those blooming, badly behaved buffoons calling themselves builders.

I need to work very hard to get our house back to a home and not a building site. Hub is so ready to throw in the towel and move. I couldn’t stand the move again. He said this house is cursed and he hates it. I hope he will change when the kitchen is finally finished and we can get all the boxes put away and when our new unit will be built we can put away all our crystal glasses. We must have a hundred of them.
Gosh I am starving, I haven’t eaten yet and it’s after two in the afternoon.

We bought a Bosh fridge, one of those with three drawers in the bottom as they are meant to keep the food fresher. Well, to be honest, so far, it’s not done that much of a good job. The leaves still go limp just as they did in the old cheap fridge, good old Beco. Our freezer, Beco, I love it. Our washing machine, and dryer, both Beco, well, I’m on the fence about them. We got them because they are quiet, not as good as they were, blind friendly. Much better than the touch screen ones though that are also double the cost.

Our dish washer? Again, I will get splinters, as still on that fence. But my NEFF extractor fan is fantastic and our range cooker is wonderful.

Our joiner has done a great job everything fits like a glove. It must be like doing a ginormous jigsaw puzzle!

I think I will have one final kitchen diary to do before I’m finished. Then I may publish all my words from scary start to the grand finale. Gosh, how many words?

It’s been a long two months. And we are still going…



No comments: