translate

Monday 15 April 2019

LAUGH OVER THE STOVE BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Good day Bloggets. I’m writing this as I’m on the phone to my bank. What a nightmare. Why can’t we just get through to someone these days without having to enter our shoe size, hair length and weight? Well, Okay, not quite, but almost there. And we can’t just answer the questions over the phone even to a robot, it has to be pushing numbers in and I have an iPhone, flat screen equals having to remember where the letters are as well as numbers, and normally I’m fine, even quite fast, but not when it comes to the inpatient bank who give you half a second to press the correct button or you get cut off after three tries. There must be an easier way? Also, when you have to select an image to get into an account, like me and the lotto the other night. No way I could get into my account without selecting shopping baskets. Well that is an image. My phone and lap top has the facility to only read letters and numbers not photographs of text and pictures. So, then kindly they give you a not so helpful audio selection which if you are lucky enough to be able to access, it’s almost impossible to hear but on Saturday when I was trying to do my Lottery, they apologised saying that audio couldn’t be downloaded. Very helpful, not, as what was I meant to do? Another website asks me to select traffic lights. Nice, again, pictures to click onto or whatever, then the audio is offered. Brilliant, except you can press AD, as much as you like but nothing happens. So frustrating. At least HIVE have got their act together after four months of us trying to sort that out, by calling and just asking if they wouldn’t mind getting someone who knows and understands how screen readers work to check any updates before releasing the updates to the public? I fear updates from HIVE as every time there is one, our HIVE doesn’t work. We have heating, plugs and lights work through HIVE. Hub bought me a great lightbulb for part of my Christmas gifts and you can turn it on and off and change the colours on it. Great, it was, then the update came and that is what has taken four months to get it so I can work it but it’s not half as good as it was when I received the bulb at Christmas. But I guess at last I can now change the colour again. But many phone calls emails and just waiting before that.

 

So, why do I need a colour changing lightbulb if I can’t see? Well just because from my eyes my world is a mixture of grey and beige, doesn’t mean my house has to be, does it?

 

I have a beautiful tiny soft silky face that keeps trying to push my keys on my laptop. It has a cold wet nose attached to it. It’s the Wagging one. Little Waggatail is craving attention today, not sure why, I have to go out later so she will get her work done for the day, but in the meanwhile, she is needing her time…. So, I shall make this blog short.

 

Hub gone to work. And my Son thank God arrived at his holiday destination last night. Not really heard anything about his holiday yet, other than they went to eat last night and are going to eat now. haha. I really hope they get to see the art galleries my Son wanted to see. As last holiday to Amsterdam, they couldn’t get tickets. Some places needed to be pre booked in advance.

 

I’m hoping he will have a great time. Sham is easily pleased she likes to relax, eat drink and chat to people she is very friendly she always makes friends with people when they are away. That’s nice. Must be the Irish in her as where she is from, the people are very friendly and hospitable.

 

My Son packed her case as it was a surprise holiday so I hope he has packed clothes that she will be warm enough in as it’s not as hot there this week as it was last week.

 

The one thing my boy told me today, over a text was he has been what they call spotlighted at work again. This is fantastic for him. They give spotlights out seldom but in six months of him working there, he has had two. They are like a pat on the back sent to his manager who then sends our boy a well-done certificate which stays on his work file and he receives some kind of voucher or money as a bonus. Not sure what he has done this time, but last time he managed to sort out someone’s computer as in desk top. Laptop and mobile as well as download software or something all remotely over the phone from England to France. So clever or scary what they can do now days all from a desk.

 

Even though I know he is abroad, every time I hear what I think is his car, I smile, but along the road is someone else’s car, so then a sinking feeling as I miss every second he’s not here, but then I have hope that he is really happy whatever he is doing!

 

In London today, climate activists will glue themselves to trains. Oh, this is ridiculous. Last time people in our Parliament stripped naked and glued their hands to walls furniture etc. personally I would have left them there for 24 hours then arrested them. They would have frozen and messed themselves if it was up to me. I agree with what the environmental activists are needing, hoping for, but the glue thing? No, not to spoil things like trains or in the parliament situation who knows, perhaps old antique furniture or walls that may be have wood on? I hate damage to statues buildings or anything. Even when it comes to animal rights, I did once chain myself to a fence, but it was metal and nothing was spoiled. They want transport in London today to stop. I understand perfectly why, but again, double standards I wonder, as how many of them have children who are seventeen and drive? How many use an iPhone and all the other tech that comes with not being kind to our environment? They say that only rebellion will prevent an ecological apocalypse and I kind of agree, but it’s up to us all to have a share in responsibilities when it comes to our beautiful world which only man is spoiling.

 

To Jill who kindly asked me how was the person I was hoping for a good outlook the other week, thank you for asking remembering, the gent is doing good thank God. I’m hoping all his mouth cancer has been cut out but haven’t had a detailed update. I just really prayed he would be OK and from what I have heard, he’s doing well. Thanks Jill and best wishes with you!

 

A person who is diagnosed with stage 1 mouth cancer has an 83% chance of survival for more than five years. Around 31% of cases are diagnosed at this stage. I hope he is one of them.

Mouth cancer mostly happens after the age of forty and the risk is twice as high in men, than women.

 

Smokers and heavy drinkers should get checked out regularly at the dentist.

Symptoms include pain in the ear or neck that will not go away. Painful tongue. A feeling something is stuck in your throat. Jaw pain or stiffness. Loose teeth. Swelling that persists for some weeks. Mouth ulcers or sores that won’t mend. Patches of red or white on the mouth or tongue. Hoarse voice,

Having any of those symptoms doesn’t mean you will have mouth cancer, just get them checked out as if you do and you have, your chances of being treated successfully are high.

 

A diet of red meats also can cause mouth cancer and sunlamps.

Well I personally don’t eat red meat, smoke drink or use sun lamps, so I pray I will be OK for this, as cancer really really scares me. I just wish I had the strength to eat only healthy food. My Son has such absolute strength when it comes to health. He’s at the gym five times per week swims twice a week he isn’t the best swimmer but loves water sports but doesn’t get much chance of that here. His food intake is big but really really healthy. And since he has become a vegan, it’s even better. Being a vegetarian is or can be a challenge though now days it’s so much easier, but to be a vegan? I have absolute respect for those people. I wish I was so strong. But it requires you doing it properly and eating the right vitamins. The good news is, that dairy free milk has more vitamins in than cow’s milk.  Same as the vegan yogurts.

 

 Next weekend is Easter, I’m trying to think of what to do for then. I would love a picknick perhaps. It’s forecast to be beautiful weather. I need Grand children to take on Easter hunts etc. Or borrow small children for the day. I hope by the time comes when I do have Grandchildren, I will be able to see to do things with them with ease. Having said that, I brought my Son up with me being blind and he had a good childhood I gave him the best life I could!

 

OK it’s Monday a quick recipe and joke.

Vegan pâté

Blend the ingredients and cook on the hob and set in your fridge.

75g walnuts

150 ml water

2 tbsp corn starch

2 and a half tbsp nutritional yeast

2 tbsp lemon juice

1 tbsp olive oil

2 tbsp unsweetened soy sauce

1 and a half tsp miso paste

1 tbsp. garlic powder

1 and a half tbsp. onion powder

1 and a half tsp smoked paprika

Pepper to taste.

Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend for a couple of minutes until you get a very smooth paste.

Pour mix into a hot pan and stir constantly making sure nothing sticks. After a while the ingredients will change, cook for another couple of minutes and then add to a flat tray pat down with a spoon and when cool add to fridge for a couple of hours to set. If you are making more double recipe but cook for an extra ten minutes.

Serve on flat bread, crackers or whatever you fancy you can add grapes on top or Cranbury sauce.

Now I have to try to cook this. Haha. And finally, some jokes that will make you laugh over your smoke alarm. Talking of smoke alarms, I know people who use them as food timers.

 

Time to stop using your oven for shoe storage and get cooking. Even the worst cooks can learn I’m sure. Even if it is just to heat a tin of beans. Yep, I have known people who say they can’t even cook baked beans…

 My friend and our Blogget Terry said it was funny us saying Hub was having turkey for Easter, she’s American and they cook ham. We do that for New Year. My Husband cooks a turkey so well. He always loves it most the day after, that is how I know he is a good cook as for some, their turkey tastes better the day before cooking. Haha have never cooked one and never will. I can’t even bring myself to cook a chicken now for Hub. So, I buy chicken breasts and chuck them in a pot as fast as possible. Wash my hands and try to forget its part of a chicken.

 

I have a friend who cooks with wine, and sometimes she even adds it to the food…

That same friend once made chocolate mousse, and an antler got stuck in the guest’s throats.

I’m not saying she can’t cook, but her child is known when trading in food at the school lunch time, the poor kid also has to chuck in an item of clothing.

Her Husband says there is one thing that is more exasperating than a wife, who can cook and won’t, and that is a wife who can’t cook and will.

 

Tip of the day

Blood sugar lowing foods include walnuts and red onions.

Did I say short blog?

 

No comments: