translate

Sunday 7 April 2019

DIARY OF ESCAPISM BY FIONA CUMMINGS


It’s Sunday, a day of wrest Well apart from Hub who is in our gym. On the treadmill. There is no way I’m going in there today. Yesterday we went for our walk and we walked almost 10 miles. 16K. almost 18,000 steps.

 

Our dogs should have been tired, as they went out for a free run for forty minutes on the field before hand as they wouldn’t get off their harness’s, when out at the beach, as they were working.

 

Well the only thing that was tired, was me, not tired as in the sleepy way, but in the body killing way. My limbs belonged to another. I refused to have anything to do with them.

 

We weren’t good though as we passed a fun fair where there was a doughnut selling stall. Oh. Gosh, I am not a fan of sweet, I prefer savoury.

Until it comes to doughnuts.

I was set a challenge to eat 30 of them off the belt.

I didn’t.

I could have, but it would have tipped me over the edge and direction to becoming a diabetic, I’m sure. One day when I’m very slim, I shall do the doughnut challenge I was set with ease.

And then I shall wake up from my dream!

 

It was a lovely day, we walked along the prom at the seaside. The air was beautiful, so fresh, the beach is my home. I loved the air, the sounds, the smells.

 

We walked through a countryside part the grass had just been cut it was lovely. Droplets fell from the branches from previous rain.

 

The seaside was full of gulls and the dogs on the sands were barking with excitement. Then into the awful fun fair part that is impossible to work the dogs through that noise so we were with my girl Friday as I call her. She walked us through the music and machines.

 

We sat and had a cup of tea in a beer garden.   The sea air on my face was so lovely. Or was the blood rushing to my head haha.

 

It was a perfect day. And I have the memories of the smells, oh, and tastes of the doughnuts, fried onions from the burgers, well obviously I wouldn’t eat those but the smell was lovely. I tell you one thing that was rather funny, the amount of parents who were going mad with their children about having sticky fingers. Bless them. Children having sticky fingers after eating sugary foods? What a crime…...!

 

It rained a little on the way back home but it was so pleasant. And as I passed apartments with balconies looking over the beach, I dreamed of having one of those to sit out on the balcony and hear the sea. As we got closer to the finish line, haha, sorry, the end of our walk, it started to thunder. At first, we thought it was the ocean crashing against the rocks as the sea did become more severe, but it was the water as well as thunder.  And it crackled and roared like a wild demon. I could imagine how dramatic it was. What a wonderful picture in my mind. To walk without sight is bad, but to imagine is good, but for my dear Hub, who has no sighted imagination, for him it was pure sounds. He loved his day out as did I. and as for my dog today, she is like a puppy. I thought she would be tired, nope.

 

Off to make a Sunday dinner now for our evening meal though. The three of us are home tonight. And then one of my favourite drama’s is on the TV tonight. I have written about it before; it’s called the Durrell’s. A family from England who settle on the Greek island of Corfu in the mid to late 1930; s. It’s the most enchanting series, real escapism.

I hope you all have a lovely day. And just before I go some words.

 

“Escapism is something everyone needs from time to time. The concept of wanting something more and wanting to find solace, and needing to have something better, completely different to the norm. Escapism is a vicarious thrill!””

 

© Fiona Cummings

 

 

 

 

 

 

  

 

No comments: