translate

Friday 2 November 2018

DESSERT DIARY BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Well it’s that time of week again, Friday. Last night we had a last-minute thought of going out with friends for a meal. We went to a lovely pub. It wasn’t near home, but a pleasant journey there. It was bitter cold outside so the welcome of the large coal fire on our entrance was just what the Doctor ordered. Wow, the seats were so comfortable, I’m used to going to the place where we have our pub quiz, and though the clientele and staff are fantastic, and I love going there, it’s not what I would call comfortable. In fact, the opposite. The seats are like those from a church. They seem to be attached kind of to the wall. They creak. I swear one day Fifi and Hub are going to end up on the floor like a melting blancmange. You breathe and they groan. But I love to go there. But last night we didn’t because the owners who run the quiz had the cheek to go on holiday. Haha. The first choice for our friends was a pub that I checked out on Trip Advisor. Oh, it was rather awful. So, this was a second choice. And wow, thank goodness we went there and not where we were originally going to go.

 

Oh, my, the food was amazing. I had what they called toast but it was more like a huge slice of home-made bread slightly toasted with thick sauce of creamy mushroom and garlic and loads of full mushrooms on top. Then I had baked Camembert, oh my, that was amazing. There was a dish of cranberries and another dish with sticks of carrots and celery to dip into the melting cheese. Also, four chunks of crusty bread sticks. Mmmmmmmm. And then I did something I very rarely do, and that was to have dessert, and what did I pick? Ooooooo something I hated as a child, and old Bloggets may remember I have written about this before when I went with the press to Italy when I was four. Every single photograph that was taken of me was with a ginormous tall glass full of ice cream. Well for some un be known reason, for a week now I have fancied not just ice cream, but, a Knickerbocker Glory.

Oh, yes, and I got that last night. So, you may ask what are one of those? Well traditionally they are served in a very long tall glass with a long spoon. But last nights came in a Sunday glass. It was amazing. So, ice cream on the bottom with loads of nuts in. strawberries and blueberries mixed in with loads of thick cream that was mixed with a delicious chocolate sauce. And nuts poured over the top with a little more chocolate sauce. Cream isn’t my thing, but the cream I had last night was so nice. Oh, gosh. It was glorious. And great company was had. The staff were lovely but the punters were odd. There was a lady with the worst cockily cough. Like a real smoker’s cough. It was repulsive to listen to and she had the cheek to grumble when Hub sneezed. Mind you, Hubs sneeze is totally embarrassing. It’s loud enough to deafen people and strong enough to blow out the fire.  But I did think, excuse me love, you shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near public dining. Thankfully she got her coughing over with before our meal came. Haha.

 

It was so warm inside there really cosy and the seats were so nice. I would go again. Our friends really enjoyed themselves too. They had prawn cocktail for starters. One for main had chicken breast wrapped in bacon with cheese, mash potatoes and green beans. The other had spare ribs, yack, salad and chips and Hub had some kind of fish for starters then scampi and chips with peas. And he ate his peas. One friend didn’t have dessert but the other had a banana split. Which is banana and ice-cream with strawberries, well normally you don’t get strawberries with it but he did last night. Hub had the dessertish, I am going to have next time. The cheese slate. Gosh, I thought they brought cheese for the full table. I have never seen such an amount of cheese for one person. So many different kinds and all lovely. Loads of crackers, in fact so many Hub couldn’t finish them and a dish of cranberries with celery sticks and nuts. It was so good. And a great price. I think it’s a new place so they are trying to build up the clientele. Well last night, they certainly built me up!

 

Apart from a Knickerbocker Glory, other typical British puddings are

Eaton Mess. Named after a private school. Hubs fave dessert. Not sure why he didn’t have it last night.

Jam Roly-Poly. Oh, gross. Reminds me of our first school dinners. Treacle tart and

Sticky toffee pudding

 

Our Boy Wonder let me know he got to Ireland OK last night. I just pray he will be OK and return safely as he’s out to a wild party tonight. At least he will be able to eat normal food. Unlike when he was in Cuba. I can not get over the comments I get from friends about him being a vegan. Things like he will get over it and it’s stupid. Wow, how dare they? Personally, as a vegetarian I would really struggle to go the next step, but I have nothing but admiration for those who can do it. It shows how strong you are and how kind. Especially those of you who do it for the unheard voices. Today is International Vegan day. Best wishes to you all. Many years ago, twenty, when I decided to stop playing being a vegetarian and become a real one, it was hard, I too got comments like the above. It was a fashion. A phase. Well I was strong and passionate enough to ignore their ignorant comments and now I am proud of my achievements. As for my Son, he went through school having to put up with uneducated comments from staff mainly, and he was strong enough to continue to be a vegetarian, until he was 13. It was all the fault of Hub and America. Haha. Long and short of it, for nine years he ate meat, mainly fish and chicken and then he returned to becoming a vegetarian and now vegan. Will he continue being a vegan? I really don’t know, but I totally support him though it is a challenge for me cooking, but I will get used to it and plant food as they call it is becoming more popular, I even managed to buy him chocolate    mousse. I should try to make it at home, but for, four of  them for £1.50, it wasn’t worth it.

If you do want to try it though, here is the recipe.


 

 

Have a lovely weekend. I’m off to read your emails. I hope to see one from L to  make my weekend perfect. I will still write over the weekend, but won’t be at home. Take care.