translate

Saturday 22 September 2012

How life comes and could have gone just like that?


Oh such a shock I had last night. I went up to see my Husband he had gone up to bed early as he had a migraine and had it all week. That is normal for him. He was sitting on the floor talking rubbish to be honest. I got him to bed and thought he had taken pain killers for his eyes. He used to get such dreadful eye pain and was on morphine for two years but thank God, he only gets mild eye pains now. Like it’s not bad enough having any sight, but he is given excruciating pains too? He used to pass out with the pain it was so cruel. I did not know what to do about it. I guessed just wait till the morning and see if he would be ok and the pills would have worn off and he would be ok. I was surprised that he had taken the pills as he had not had eye pain for some time now. Well through the night he began talking nonsense again and said he could not feel the side of his face or his arm, well that was hearing between the mumbo jumbo about digging a trench for the army and more rubbish. I called NHS direct and after telling them he was not making much sense, they asked to speak to him. I passed the phone and listened in, prompting him for correct answers. Well after speaking to two people, he came off the phone fifteen minutes later. I asked what they said, as I heard no diagnoses. He said they did not know. I told him I was going to call a taxi and take him to the hospital but he told me in slightly clearer words that he thinks he had suffered from

Hemiplegic migraine. I thought, that is a very bad head ache, which would not make your face numb or speech poor? Then I read up on migraines and he told me he had this many years ago and they thought then he had a stroke, thank God for the internet and my findings on migraines. I wanted to share this with you.

Hemiplegic migraine.

 

 is referred to as a “migraine variant”. The word hemiplegic simply means paralysis on one side of the body. A person with hemiplegic migraine will experience a temporary weakness on one side of their body as part of their migraine attack. This can involve the face, arm or leg and be accompanied by numbness, or pins and needles. If the right side is affected the person may experience speech difficulties, vision problems or confusion. This can be a frightening experience for the individual as these symptoms are similar to those of a stroke. This weakness may last from one hour to several days, but usually it goes within 24 hours. The head pain associated with migraine typically follows the weakness, but the headache may precede it or be absent.

What causes the symptoms of hemiplegic migraine?


To understand this, it is important to look at the mechanism of hemiplegic migraine. The brain and nervous system depend on a combination of electrical and chemical signals to function. When a nerve impulse (electrical) of sufficient strength passes down from one nerve cell towards another, it opens a so-called ‘channel’ which acts like a ‘gate’. This process releases neurotransmitters (or chemical messengers) which contact the neighbouring cells and tell them how to respond. If a channel in the brain is not working properly, neurotransmitters, such as serotonin, may be released in an abnormal way. In the case of hemiplegic migraine, the way the channel dysfunctions is known to have a role in the condition.

Types of hemiplegic migraine


There are two types of hemiplegic migraine – familial hemiplegic migraine (FHM) and sporadic hemiplegic migraine (SHM).

Familial Hemiplegic Migraine


Familial hemiplegic migraine (FHM) is defined as migraine attacks occurring in two or more people in the same family who experience weakness on one side of the body as a symptom with their migraines. On average 50% of children who have a parent with hemiplegic migraine will develop this disorder.

At least three different genes have been implicated in FHM. In half of the families where FHM occurs, a gene with a defect on chromosome 19 has been identified. This causes the related calcium channel to work incorrectly from time to time, and when it does a series of biochemical changes result in a migraine attack. For other families chromosome 1 is implicated which alters the behaviour of a channel involved in cell energy and in still others a sodium channel gene on chromosome 2 is altered. Even these do not account for all cases so more genetic causes will be found during future research.

Sporadic Hemiplegic Migraine


If someone experiences all the physical symptoms of FHM but doesn’t have a known familial connection they are diagnosed as having sporadic hemiplegic migraine (SHM). The cause of SHM is unknown; some are due to new or so called ‘sporadic’ gene mutations.

Research has shown that people with SHM usually experience all four of the typical aura symptoms – visual, sensory, aphasic and motor symptoms – during their attacks. It was reported in the people who were studied that the motor weaknesses were always one sided and more often experienced in the upper limbs. For two thirds of people the symptoms lasted around an hour; whilst only 8% experienced this weakness for more than a day. None experienced the one sided weakness in their body without experiencing other symptoms as well, and the most common of these accompanying symptoms was visual disturbance. All experienced the headache of the migraine.


He is sleeping now. God bless him, earlier in the week, my cousins daughter gave birth to a little girl called Brook Ellis. Last night I was scared stiff that I could have my love of my life taken from me just like that and it got me thinking. “There are people right now around the world, who said goodbye to their spouce this morning and are going to bed alone, with the knowledge that the other side of the bed would remain cold. God bless all those people and God bless little baby Brook! Thank God for my darling, my Teen, my dogs and even my canary… God bless  my Yam and DD and my closest and dearest friends, from  the U.k, America Russia Miranda and my only living relative Aunt G and my brother in law Night lovely people I shall await now for my Teen coming home from his party, knowing the sky is dark and it’s a wild world out there. xx

No comments: