translate

Thursday 27 December 2018

THE MYSTERY OF CHRISTMAS BY FIONA CUMMINGS


 Dearest Bloggets, how are you all? Christmas is over for another year. For some that may be a relief other people may be feeling really so sad that now all the family are away, back to their lives and they are on their own.

 

For others, you may be relieved that you have peace in your lives again, have you witnessed that old Christmas family fight? A big row? I hope your Christmas was peaceful and set you right to face the New Year in with positivity.

 

Almost every single person our Son knows has been to the pub every single day since before Christmas. I hate that.  Sadly, our minds are being wired to have no imagination or ability to have individual thoughts. It’s getting drunk or nothing. My Son was asking me what did I think why people his friends for example, spent so much time drinking? I just said drink is a drug. They sadly are hooked. It used to be people who didn’t work but now it seems it’s everyone. Is it just in England?

 

So, if you have no money, what else is there to do? Well, how much does it cost now to go out drinking? Well if you are BW’s friends, anything from 60, to over a hundred pounds. For one night. How much does it cost to go to the theatre? Unless you get the best seats in London, not that much or the cinema, again, may be £20 for two of you?  Bowling? How boring may be? Well if there are a few of you, it’s fun… wrap up well go for a walk, nothing to stop you from stopping in at a country pub for a drink… but when you have five six or seven drinks and don’t include anything else in your day/night, and you do that three four or more times a week, it’s to me an addiction. And if you do that every week for a month, just for one person you are talking about on average, £240 per month. So, I doubt it’s for people who are poor, as they just couldn’t afford it. Where is the culture in the world? We are losing it. I know I am one out of a thousand who feels like this, I just find it so sad that we are becoming a country of heavy drinkers. A close friend of mine drinks five times per week. About five bottles of wine per week. 240 bottles of wine per year, for one person… and that is excluding whatever else she may drink on a works night out.

 

OK, rant over now, I’m just curious if you have this problem if you think it’s even a problem, in your country?

 

It’s just after seven in the evening. It’s the 27th day in December, so heading towards the end of the year. But still we have a few days left of 2018. What are your plans for New Year? Do you have any resolutions?

 

I shall tell you mine in a few months. As I haven’t had any for years because I can’t stick to them for more than three and a quarter hours…

But believe me, if I stick to it, you will learn for sure what it was!!!

 

My Husband is eating for Britain. I don’t know where he puts it all. I could be sick knowing what he is eating, but it’s a good job as we have so much food.

 

He is now on the hunt for a basket of nuts I bought him. They are shelled nuts with cinnamon dust on them… Talking of being on the hunt. Oh, my, wait until I tell you this story!

 

OK, a month or even five weeks ago, I bought Hub some items from a craft fair. He likes these kind of things… They were or are, hand made chrome dining items. I got him a very unusual tiny dish with a beautiful spoon and a larger dish again, a shape I have never seen it’s like before. With matching spoon. Then I got him some salad servers.  I know unusual for a man, but he loves fine things for the dining room…

 

So, these spoons were so pretty they were shiny chrome with stunning twisted multi coloured handles. I wrapped them placed them in a large box with the other two smaller boxes of dishes also wrapped. The box I sealed and put in my robe until Christmas eve. Since then, we have changed the bed three times… believe me, this is relevant.

 

Christmas came, Hub opened his boxes with the two dishes in. loved them. I told him to look at the bottom of the big box as that is where I put the serving utensils. He looked. Nothing. I said there has to be.

 No. they weren’t there. Where were they?

 

I looked everywhere. Our son did too. Boxing day, we looked again and today, my friend came, Hub went to put his gifts away as they were in a pile in our bedroom. He came downstairs and handed me a box. It was the spoons. No way, where were they? How did he know what they were if they were wrapped as I still have gifts to hand out to our friends, how didn’t he know they were our friends’ gifts? He said, firstly because they were on our bed. Not where our friends’ gifts are and secondly, they weren’t wrapped….

 

O

K

Well firstly I wrapped the box I remember doing so. Secondly, I know I put them in the bottom of my large box with the other two boxes on top and sealed the big box. And thirdly, on our bed? I wrapped the gift weeks ago. Since then the bed has been changed so many times. We have slept in the bed for goodness sake. The box would have fell off, it would have dropped off. We would have felt it as we changed the bed and re made it again so many times.  So, where about was it on our bed?    

Only on my pillow!

Well I am still in shock. Explain that one? It can only be a poltergeist. Or some kind of spirit trying to tell us something. Letting us know they are there. But who and why?

 

OK, going to watch TV now with our Son. We would normally go to the pub quiz tonight, but the pub owners are off on another holiday.

 

So, a lovely day with my friend a catch up and exchange of gifts. Great TV with the little family of ours and a beautiful memory of the mystery of Christmas. Especially secret gifts… all I can say is explain that one?

 

    

 

3 comments:

Christine O said...

Oh Fi, how extraordinary?!?! Oh no, for RPers that might be possible. Tricky little utensils sneaking here then there, just out of sight... and feel and everyone else’ too . So glad they reappeared.
Yes, the pub thing is real here in Australia too. Not sure how bad but some are quite addicted and the pub is second home.
A drink can be ok but drunk? Not fun!! Some of us went to Bondi Beach yesterday. Some went to the movies... with the grandkids (a wreck it Ralph movie ?) then home for yummy fruit platter, crackers, cheese and wine with visiting sister and niece. A lovely day. 💕 😃


Fiona Cummings said...

Christine, it was a huge box so I couldn’t of missed it smile even I couldn’t of done that LOL have a lovely New Year and I’m so pleased you had a great Christmas lots of love

Christine O said...

Hahaa. Imagining that huge box just threw the utensils out. Too crazy. Smiling... Thanks Fi. Happy new year to you and yours as well. Love Christine in Oz.