translate

Monday 24 December 2018

DIARY OF CHRISTMAS EVE BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Good day Bloggets. A very happy Christmas Eve to you all. Sitting here at last. Hub got up this morning after a rather stressful night evening which lasted most of the night.  So, Hub began to prepare the dinner as I did some adjusting to our grocery shopping for next weekend. Then the door bell went. Hub shouted, Quick it’s Pip and Thomas come to see us. So, I ran down stairs to be greeted by my friend and her Son. What a lovely lad he is. He goes on forever. So tall. I tell you, next time I need my ceiling painted, he’s my boy.

 

So, two stuffing one for us and one for Boy Wonder. Hub peeled enough potatoes to feed an army, two turnips/sweeeds and he made something my Son will be horrified about, pigs in blankets… Small sausages wrapped in bacon. He has also made a meatloaf. He’s cooking the turkey later. I did the carrots and parsnips as well as the white cabbage. Tomorrow I shall do mushy peas and attempt BW’s vegan Yorkshire puddings. Making them without eggs is going to be a task but let’s see how they turn out? Oh, and then we have prepared the sprouts, gross, but the boys love them. I have part cooked the potatoes and put them in a tray for the oven. I have poured oil on them a nice one and added a sprinkle of salt, pepper and a potato rub. I’m having a Quorn roast rather than poor turkey. BW is having a vegan version. I shall do the sauces tomorrow. Oh, and then there is the Christmas pudding and brandy sauce. I have bought BW a vegan pudding and vegan custard. Later I am going to set the table with the Christmas cloth and napkins crackers that we pull before we eat our meal so we can wear our silly hats, BW will read the awful jokes we get in them, we will receive a dreadful bit of plastic, they call a gift,  that will end up in the bin, and I will put a  candle in the middle.

 

Yesterday BW asked me if he could have a full big breakfast on Christmas morning? Em, not sure where he will cook. As every disk on the top of our stove and there are five, will be full. The oven will be full too, though we have a smaller oven, he will have to use that. I have bought some Christmas shaped crumpets. He can have some of those.

      

My friend brought me a beautiful gift. Gosh, she has totally spoiled me. A stunning jumper. Oh, I love it so much. It’s long, warm and the softest wool in a baby blue colour. She also got me a candle that is so pretty.

 

She also went to the shop for us, to buy some streaky bacon for Hub to cook or put on top of his turkey or wrap around his sausages or something… I don’t have anything to do with that, but he was panicking as no way we would want to cross that awful road and tackle the last-minute Christmas shoppers…

 

We have carols on the TV from Kings Quire. The house smells so Christmassy. I’m writing to you in a time space I have to sit and chill before round two comes along. Round two is cleaning seriously, my friend will think Hub and I had gone out at the weekend and BW had a rave whilst we were out…

 

My Brother and Sister in law came on Saturday so no work got done. We had a lovely day with them. We get on so well. BW loves him too. And on Sunday, we just chilled so again no housework. So today, my house was a mess… Shamrock is coming around later and BW won’t be back until midnight. He’s visiting someone in my old home town. I told him to be back before Santa flies over, otherwise if he doesn’t see he’s in bed, he won’t stop to deliver the gifts. Hahaha. My poor Son, sometimes he pacifies me.

 

So, last night, we went to our local church. I saw my dear Geordie and her family. I adore her. Her Son is so sweet, her Hub and mine get on really well. It was a great night, we saw briefly our friend Julie who plays the piano, sang carols by candle light and drank some mulled wine. Waggatail did really well getting there and back. Though she let me down afterwards whilst we had refreshments as she decided she liked the smell of a sweet mince pie held by a lady… oh, my, she didn’t eat it, but had a good sniff. Not sure the lady will have wanted to eat that after it had been Waggared…

 

Then home to our Son who was still working on his iPhone. As well as my, lap top… and his lap top. I won’t bore you, but he has cleared his phone, no pass words or phone numbers of anyone and no history. After talking with Apple tech team, he was lost. Well Hub and him stayed up and worked on this where as I just listened getting more and more anxious for him as I knew he had to be up early for work and then three hours of driving today as well. He will be so tired when he returns home, but at least he will be home and we are so happy to have our Son for Christmas for another year. I hope we will forever.

 

We have all the presents to bring down stairs. Just the ones we have bought, not of course all the ones Santa is bringing… I thought I had bought Sham a lot of gifts, then Hub told me last night he has bought her another one. I am surprised by what he has bought her, as it is a very girly gift. Expensive too. So tomorrow she will open gifts with us. She’s coming to us in the afternoon.

 

As Hub sits near me with his glass of Sherry, I would like to wish you all whatever you are dreaming of now. wherever you are whoever you are, whatever you are doing tomorrow, I send love and when you wake up in the morning, know that I shall be thinking of you all and we shall chat again soon. With love.

 

    

No comments: