translate

Thursday 20 December 2018

A DOGGY CHRISTMAS DIARY BY FIONA CUMMINGS


As I sit in my sitting room where my house is just starting to get toasty warm from the morning frost, my Christmas tree is on my right and my beautiful guide dog Waggatail by my feet. She is adorable, she has her bed and she can lay on the rug, an yet she chooses to lay on the hard wood floor as close as she can get to me!

 

At this moment in time I am blessed that our two dogs are well and happy. So many of you I have heard from of late are going through such pain right now because your dog is ill or has just gone to the rainbow bridge. I have been through that pain and every time one of our beautiful dogs dies, a chunk of my heart leaves my body to be replaced with a memory of what is eternal pain. And then we have another dog or two who do their best to fill that damage with new memories. But we will never forget our old dogs and other pets. Some call our dogs working dogs, and they do work, but we don’t call ourselves working humans. At the end of the day, our dogs do something for us that we can never give them back, but as long as we do our best, that will be enough.

 

Yesterday was so funny. So, I can give my Waggatail a Kong toy with treats inside of it. She will devour the treats within fifteen minutes max. Where as The Little Fella, oh my, that’s another story. So yesterday two toys filled wit small treats for them. I gave Wagga’s hers in the sitting room closing the door behind me, leaving me and LF in the hall. I gave him his. Well, he can take almost one hour normally, but yesterday wasn’t a normal day!

 

I knew Waggs was finished hers in her normal time, because she was sitting at the door where there is a window all down the side of the door so she can see LF, and he can keep an eye on her. I heard her little squeak as if to say, let me help you out there LF?

 

I wiped the work tops, sink and cooker. Then vacuumed the floor in the kitchen and conservatory. Then I mopped up and went into the conservatory and did the same. Back into the kitchen where I sorted out what I was going to make for dinner that night. One hour and ten minutes had passed. LF still fighting with his toy to release the prisoners he knows are edibles.

 

Then I thought I would put a clean table cloth on the table, well always a good idea to put one there, I guess? Beats putting it on the gas hob? Haha, Seriously, sometimes I do say the silliest things.

 

Watered my plants, straightened cushions on the sofa and put the bin out. So, more minutes passed.

Still LF was bashing this thing on the floor to try to release his two treats. I thought it’s been forever, you have had your chance mate, so I opened the door for Waggs to take it off him. She ran away with one out of two I realised sweets still in the toy as I could hear them. LF was on her tail end. All I heard was the deepest cry from LF. Now he has such a baby face, he is the most innocent dog. If he were a child, he would be the one who would be being bullied at school every day. Next thing I know he comes to tell me he has it back. I praised Waggs. She sits there, her head getting higher and higher. She looks so proud of herself as she is getting praised for something, I don’t have a clue about until moments later.

 

My Son says that he has seen Waggs put a toy in LF’s mouth. He takes it gently. And has never come close to hurting anyone. The dogs are so gentle with each other.

 

So, I imagined that Waggatail handed her little brother his toy… how kind… LF wasn’t any of the wiser just how naughty Waggs really is…. Yeah, she did give him it back as he cried, she understands where he’s coming from…. Turned out, she only got his biscuit out within a second and handed him an empty toy…… little monkey.

 

The funny thing is, he still continued trying to get the treat out… for about half an hour then only stopped because my friend came to visit.

 

Then he spent the first hour on her lap. Back legs on the floor and full huge body across my friend Arty. Of course, she loved it. Bless her she isn’t bothered about coming away from our house looking as if she has been in a snowstorm. She said LF had his paws around her neck and head on her shoulder. Hahahahaha. I did think when we were talking, she sounded as if she had put weight on. Something Arty never does… he does cuddle for ages but never normally friends. Especially most times when Arty comes, LF is normally at work with his Daddy. But yesterday I was on doggy day care as Hub had a busy day going to a few buildings that LF didn’t know so would be not really guiding him. He went with a colleague also thought LF had a hard week in transit. Today he’s off to my home of Newcastle. And tomorrow Hub is on holiday for a long time. He needs the rest. He’s shattered. I’m so proud of him this past few months. He has four teams to look after now and has worked so hard to get everything working. This time last year, he was in charge of one team. Now four. Sadly, he hasn’t been to one Christmas office party. He said he didn’t want one team to think he was favouriting over another. As they all had their parties on the same day.

 

There’s a lot of talk about people not feeling Christmassy this year, so in my next blog that I shall write in a moment, we will try to get our own little warm cosy feeling going on… Until then, merry Christmas from me and my family of Hub and Boy Wonder, Waggatail full belly and LF. ()()

  

 

 

No comments: