translate

Wednesday 26 December 2018

DIARY OF CHRISTMAS DAY BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Good evening Bloggets. Well we have had Christmas day for another year. BW got back home last night late I think it was just after eleven. He had been awake for about 24 hours. So now in the house safe, especially after he drove home in the thick fog for an hour and a half, pitch black too. Our family all together safe under the same roof. For me there is no better feeling. I could relax and after the night before, it was so good to close my eyes and sleep.

 

Once we checked Santa had been, I put some Christmas shaped crumpets in the toaster for Boy Wonder. I let him sleep in for a while, but just after 10 a.m. his Dad shouted on him. BW showered and came down stairs by this point we made sure all of the dinner was finished and ready just to cook for a final half hour.

 

Then the huge tradition of us all opening our gifts in front of the fire with the tree lights twinkling, Hahah, OK, we have an electric fire and who knows if the lights were twinkling, but in my imagination, they were. Our dogs were kept in their little prison but they could see through the full-length glass window in between their bed and our sitting room. We had a huge box in the middle of the room to put all of the wrapping paper in. we take turns in opening our gifts. I love it that way, we can appreciate what we have and know who from.

 

I opened my gift from Hub. A beautiful bottle of perfume by Laura Ashley that I have never tried before, it is stunning. BW received his big bottle of aftershave that I love him wearing and Hub got a bottle of a different kind too.

 

Then I opened my gingerbread bath bomb. It smells so amazing, one almost wants to eat it. BW received a fantastic gift from his Uncle and Aunt. Hubs Brother and sister in law.  It was a hamper full of vegan goodies, he loves it and he has been saying he would like to take snacks into his office. As he sits and drinks his coffee in his amazing new coffee press or whatever it’s called. It’s rose gold and holds hot coffee.  It was a gift from his friend. Now he has snacks to eat too.

 

From BW, Hub got the most beautiful designer shirt and for casual wearing, a pair of designer joggers. He also received from him some chocolate covered coffee beans. From my baby I got a beautiful Christmas candle gift set and one of those lovely saucers with a lamp like lid to go on the top of those candles. I also received from him a hairbrush that smells of strawberries and a box of smellies from a famous soap shop.

 

BW got a vegan friendly wallet, though he will keep his old one as he has had that since he was fourteen our friends from America bought him it and he treasures it but it’s real leather and our Son doesn’t want to use anything from animals now. Even my new shampoo he won’t use as it is made with honey.

 

He got a bottle opener with a chicken on saying my friends are vegans and a vegan china mug with every kind of creature on and a vegan slogan. He also got a mug with alpacas on wearing earphones dancing. Haha. I didn’t know that, I just thought it was with alpacas in a field may be?

 

Hub got loads of silver wear from me but really oddly, one thing I bought him, my favourite, isn’t there. And it was in a big box, so not sure where that is, but I’m sure it will turn up, though I have looked for it all day.

 

I got the boys all kinds of lovely toiletries. Hub received a dressing gown and they both got slippers.

 

I got a big basket full of gorgeous bottles of bath oils and body lotions as well as body butters soaps shampoos and more. My big gift is a wonderful scratching cat made from stone. It’s so real. Full size too. The detail is wonderful so intricate. It’s for the garden. We got BW some lovely new bedding too. The kind he hinted for. it’s lovely and warm and features penguins…

 

Our Son got some happy socks too. They are every colour under the sun… oh, this one will make you laugh… remember Hub and I are blind.

Well from him to me, I received a lightbulb…. Not just any kind of light bulb, oh, no, this one flashes all different colours and you work it from Alexa.

 

Why would someone blind want one of those?

Because I am blind, doesn’t mean the world is blind and I like my house to look just like yours with a twist…

 

I received so many chocolates and I told Hub not to buy me them but he didn’t answer so I think they must have come from Santa himself…

 

BW received some lovely warm Pyjamas but they are really stylish. He got his favourite soft drink and we opened our stockings, his was full of cosmetics and vegan treats like seeds. Nuts and so on.

 

He got a men’s manicure set too. And his final gift was for him and Hub. Because BW had one when he was a little boy, a horrid brat of a child bit into it and it had to be thrown out. So, 17 years later, I renewed it… Hub hasn’t seen one ever, well, what is it?

A stretch Armstrong.

He’s a little guy and you pull his arms the other person pulls his legs and he stretch’s about ten times longer than his normal state.

 

He wears a funny expression upon his face, as if he is grimacing as he’s lifting weights… he and Hub had a great time with Mr. Armstrong.

 

I bought Hub a huge carved leaf. Sitting on the leaf, are a family of squirrels eating nuts. I got him a chrome squirrel nut cracker too. You lift his tail up and pop the nut in his mouth and bingo, he’s cracked your nut…

 

BW received a mould that makes drink shots. You pour the water in and freeze it and you have six perfectly shaped shot glasses made from ice… he also got a lamp and more, I got loads more too as did Hub.

 

We received vouchers smellies candles and more from others too. And of course, my beautiful jumper I told you my friend bought me… oh, seriously, I absolutely love that. I can’t wait to wear it but it’s for posh outings… and the candle I told you about too, same friend bought me that, I lit it last night as she got me to open her gifts the other day, it smells so good. So pretty. I love it. It’s in the most beautiful pot with a lid.

 

My friend Arty bought me a box of exquisite body butters. Oh, the smell is so good. She also got me a candle and Hub received a lovely cheese board full of delicious cheeses from our friend Pip. I got Hub tickets to see two classical singers at the end of next year. We are going with our two friends Geordie and David. Oh, remind me, I have a funny story to tell you about that family and how I totally embarrassed myself…

Again….

 

We received chutneys and crackers as well as a big round cheese you melt in the oven. A dish to go with it too.

 

I got my slippers from my friend Kingsie and from our other friend Yvonne, we got a gorgeous gift of I’m not sure if they are glass or porcelain, but they are heavy round and have piano keys on them. They are tea coasters. They are class.

 

Everyone was kind and we appreciate everybody. Sham came late morning and we all exchanged gifts. Once again, our Son totally spoiled her. She got some really beautiful gifts. Our boy spent far too much, on everyone to be honest. Sham gave me a salt and pepper set, you may remember I collect them, but really, I’m going to have to stop. I think I have thirty sets at least now. well these are lovely, they are budgies. I also received a candle called Wood Wick where there is wood in the centre to light rather than a wick. It crackles like a coal fire. The smell from them is beautiful. And they come in really nice dishes.

 

We had lunch the three of us as Sham met with her family in the local pub. By the time she had her dinner, I’m not too sure she would remember what she had the next day… Her sister kindly cooked it as her Mum went to work.

 

We had a lovely day, so much food. Hub and I re a team. We work so well together in the kitchen. I said we need a platter rather than a plate… so with Hubs turkey meatloaf and pigs in blankets, my family turkey vegetarian roast and our Sons Vegan roast, remembering to mash the turnip and mash potatoes without butter and once on the plate, I added the butter our butter on ours and our Sons on his.

 

I made our Son a different stuffing to ours too. And I couldn’t add sherry to our gravy like I normally do as feared it may not be vegan friendly. But it was still delicious. We had our traditional northern mushy peas and cabbage, roast potatoes, mash, as I said, turnip and loads of other things.

We were so full, but we sat around our table with the candle glowing and we laughed and chatted. Our hearts were full of love for each other. I had a thought for my dear friends who have lost their loved ones this year. I ached for them as they are good people, we had Christmas songs playing in the background and after our Christmas pudding, BW had his vegan one with vegan custard and Hub and I had one we bought from Aldi’s it was absolutely by far, the best Christmas pudding I have ever had. Orange slices right through, huge cherries and loads of nuts. I had brandy sauce and Hub had brandy cream with his.

 

Coffee and mints and sat with the TV on and just reflected.

 

We three had a lovely day.  We even did the tradition of listening to the Queens speech… our dogs opened their gifts and they had so much fun with all their new toys. Dogs are so grateful, mind you so is our Son, bless him, he thanked us ten times and more. And I thanked him just for being with us and I hope he will always be.

 

I hope your Christmas was peaceful and you felt love. Until later, Merry Christmas.

 

 

 

No comments: