translate

Thursday 4 July 2019

THE OTHER SIDE OF THE SEA #PoetryByFionaCummings


THE OTHER SIDE OF THE SEA

BY FIONA CUMMINGS

The winds that whirl around me

The salted spray from the sea

The rocks beneath my feet

Driftwood I used for a seat

Just looking out to a forever land

Beyond the shells, stones and sand

Was someone looking back my way

Where they are would it be night or day?

The wind it blew so fierce

The coolness froze my tears

My eyes were red, but I blamed the elements

Who had I become?

I was once so elegant

I wore clothes with such style

But I guess that is all relevant

As now I’m out in the wild

Where nature calls

When water falls

I chase a rainbow

In winters white with snow

I enjoy the stars as they glow

In the cobalt sky

Kissing the ground where I would lie

Wondering where I would go

Would I even see the night through?

But then the sky would turn powder blue

And once again I would walk along

Listening to the birdsong

I’m sure they spoke to me you know?

If I were a giant and could see the other side of the ocean

And make a magic potion

That would carry me over

White cliffs of Dover

Fields so green

The most beautiful sights I have ever seen

I would meet the person on the other side

They may have been waiting for me

And I, them

Sitting there someone, somewhere

Is sharing a view

Of this sea so blue

I’m sure this is true

Do they look like me?

Do they talk the same?

Do they think like me

Do they feel my pain?

Are they  my far away shadow

Do they walk through the meadow

The same time as me

Do we have doubles

On the other side of the sea

 

© Fiona Cummings

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: