translate

Wednesday 10 July 2019

DIARY OF THE QUESTIONS BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Good day Bloggets. Oh my. It’s boiling hot but raining. I have just come off the phone trying to make an appointment to see any Doctor but the earliest time possible. You are not going to believe when I have an appointment? 27 days. I said I would see anyone. 27 days. That is absolutely ridiculous. You may remember I have written about the most amazing Doctor we watch on TV. It’s a program showing a real surgery an hour from here. They have the most wonderful Doctor who I would love as my Dearest friend even my brother. He has a heart of gold he is a land/earth angel, he’s Dr Amir Khan and he’s from a brilliant program called behind closed doors. Well not only do they have the best Doctor the world has ever seen, the most kindness and caring as well as so intelligent but they seem to have an amazing process of getting people treated, when they are ill… our doctors are shocking. Years ago, it was two weeks before you could see a Doctor around here. Not a month. It’s so wrong. The receptionist didn’t ask what was wrong with me and I am glad as I don’t think it has anything to do with them, but no wonder people go to A&E now days rather than their local GP.

 Why though can’t we have the same system as they do at Dr Khan’s practice? Whatever they are doing, we need to learn from them.

 

Well Bloggets, let me tell you about last night. You know we used to go to a local friendly pub quiz. Not because I like to drink as I don’t drink, I sit with a lime and lemon all night, but because it’s nice to get with friends to break the week up. And the quiz we used to go to was fun. But the pub closed down. Our friends suggested a pub in our city. Though I enjoy country pubs better, I don’t like the environments of city pubs, but for the quiz because it’s been months since we did one, let’s try it.

 

Oh gosh, I think my poor Husband will be cringing over it for the next few years to come. We walked in. the place was packed. We found a table thanks to our sighted friends. As soon as we went in the long narrow so called dining area, we were approached by the quiz master. He announced that the quiz will be put on hold, until we managed to get a seat. Haha, that’s fine, very nice of him. Then he came to us, as he noticed we were being shown our seats rather than going right up to them ourselves. He said in a really loud voice. “Now then, how can I be of assistance?” We were like, em, kind of pour us a nice cool drink? Haha, well we didn’t say that. We just smiled and said we were fine thank you…. He then said. Because we are the way we are……. We must be able to hear better?

No, we replied that’s a myth. He then said. Oh, well, can I sneak up on you both and you won’t be able to know I’m here.

Oh, ha, ha, very ha ha… not…. So we did the expected laugh, I thought by this point, Okay, you are actually annoying now. but it got better. Just as I thought as he stood behind me and Hub, he’s trying. Very trying, to be nice and helpful, making sure we can hear him, though he did think we heard like 1984 bugs from the former USSR. He then brought over two sheets of paper. In front of the full pub, he read some of the questions out. Forms just for us…. Oh, he replied, no, I won’t give you those, they are far too difficult.

We were like, em, why is he offering us extra questions?

Our friend said in a quiet voice obviously cringing too, he’s trying to be helpful.

My other friend said which made me laugh, as if I don’t have enough to do writing the answers in the right places, without giving us more questions?

 

Then he brought another couple of sheets over questions that would have been better placed in a Kindergarten. I mean, when we are used to questions from our other pub like

What name is given to the traditional Alpine women’s costumes notable for its close/fitting bodice? And

Which Caribbean British Author wrote the novels Voyage in the dark and wide Sargasso Sea?

Last night, we were asked extra questions, name ten famous bears…. Oh, my, and then he brought another sheet over. Name ten famous streets from songs. And then the last round was questions puns. From Christmas crackers. Those who don’t know, at Christmas, it’s tradition in the UK to have paper pulling crackers that make a bang when pulled. You pull the cracker with the person next to you. Wear the silly hat inside and get a tacky gift that you will look at and say, either, oh isn’t that cute or what the heckers is that? Then, put it in the bin, but no matter what, you get a dreadful so-called joke inside the cracker. They are known as the worst jokes in the world. Well he read the questions and we had to answer the blooming jokes. I was under the table by this point. Well in my head I was. Then he singled us out and took our papers away. We were behind everyone we are simply rubbish and got about 81 out of 120, but he announced to the full pub, that wait for this one.

(There is a team in the corner but because two of the people there are PARCIALLY SIGHTED, there really are only two people in that team, so they get extra points and guess what? they have won.)

Well he didn’t have a clue what other teams got I can tell you, most of them were more than us. And everyone in the pub applauded. Oh gosh. Hub and I were purple. A, we didn’t win, B, why did he tell everyone we got extra points because we were a team of two when there were four of us? C, we are not partially sighted we are blooming blind and D, we thought those days were gone with the eighties. Oh no, they still live on in our city. I mean, my Husband probably had more Degrees than half the teams put together. And last night, I answered most of the questions. One of our sighted friends didn’t answer one the other answered about 12 Hub answered loads and me the rest. I can tell you; we will never ever go back there. I was so ashamed. I just like to be normal. Blend in. gosh awful.

 

The man kept asking us what he could do…. We kept saying, nothing. He told us we were welcome back anytime. Em, nope.

 

Anyway, another day. And last night our Son was telling us over dinner, another one of his really close friends from work has been sacked. Oh, this lad I felt so sad for. Our boy was really affected as he likes him and the lad has a new born baby, a wife and toddler. He is the only earner. The reason for sacking was pathetic. They are looking for excuses. Our Son really is the last one standing now. 12 they have got rid of since Christmas. I fear it will be his turn in the next couple of months.  I hope not as he is so brilliant at what he does and his boss really likes him. He’s being chosen for all the tasks at work and his journey out of the office where he had to travel last week went so well. But the way they are dropping the people is awful. I think they are trying to save money.

 

Well going out now, hope you all have a lovely day. I’m really proud of Sheila and she knows why. Proud of you too by the way…  Laters. My guide dog awaits….

 

   

No comments: