translate

Wednesday 3 July 2019

LEARNING EVERY DAY BY FIONA CUMMINGS


I was reading that a group of biologists are trying to bury the idea that plants are conscious. Though  plants are known to curl when touched and grow faster when they are near competitors I also believe they can make a sound especially if you tear a leaf from it, so called experts are trying to say it’s all a load of rubbish an yet they do not show any evidence to prove otherwise. If they think we are going to believe them just because they say plants don’t have feelings etc, well not all of us are going to trust that. Everything that lives has feelings as far as I am concerned. And yes, I’m a vegetarian, so, picking veg to eat is a bad thing, well, I can’t be perfect and if it is a case of killing a cow or a cabbage, then sadly it’s the heart of the cabbage that gets it.

 

Well try telling this to our Prince Charles, who talks to his plants, especially his geraniums haha, so far, they haven’t answered him back, well, not that he is admitting to.

    

I remember I think it was last year I wrote about scientists who have mixed the DNA of rabbits with plants to reduce air pollution.

 

I just wonder how that conversation went in the boardroom? “Hey, as I fed my Roger a carrot last night, I got thinking….””

I mean, what makes house plants mixed with rabbits good to clear pollution? And I would hate it every time a new leaf came on it or I went to replant it, what if blooming a rabbit ear pops out from the soil?

 

Do you believe that plants have feelings? I have read that they talk to each other through their roots. I believe they do.

 

Now, recycling, did you know you can’t recycle black plastic? Well great for us who can’t see what colour it is. I’m so annoyed with recycling as so much now is mixed, for example one bottle can be plastic, metal and glass, what are we to do with that? Certainly, we can’t recycle that as we have bins for glass, one for plastic, one for metal/tin and one for paper. Talking of tins/cans, I’m really bad Hub goes mad with me as I don’t recycle them because first you have to peal off the paper, then wash it out, well that is wasting water isn’t it? But from the perspective of global heating, aluminium and other metals, are among the first important to recycle. It takes almost 20 times as much energy to make a new aluminium can as it does to make one from recycled aluminium. Wow, I have learned something today. So, I think I am going to recycle more cans!

 

 And, as long as you wash out your bathroom bottles but, remove any pumps as they so far can’t be recycled. But again, using all that water? Maybe we should start to recycle water too, a water butt for the rain perhaps, well at least you can water your garden with that. If you put nappies in your recycling, mind you, not sure why you would, but apparently it has been done, well that will make   that full recycling truck, have to go straight to landfill.

 

You know those envelopes with plastic windows? Well that is okay as they have machines that will remove the windows in the factory, same as sticky tape on wrapping paper. But they say if you can remove that, all the better. 30% of our plastic milk bottles are recycled. A cotton bag for life needs to be used wait for this one, 131 times to be worth it. Hahaha. Start counting Bloggets.

 

Tinfoil for your sandwiches can be recycled if you are careful and wash it, but clingfilm can’t be recycled. And if your phone still works, wipe the data and pass it on. Same for electrical items.

 

You know I used to say we need to care for our world for our Grandchildren. But I have seen so much damage over the past few years, I really think we may see devastating changes in our lifetime. So not only for our future children but for ourselves and the beautiful animals who haven’t deserved their world to burn out.

 

No comments: