translate

Tuesday 7 February 2017

FIRES IN THE SKY BY FIONA CUMMINGS

FIRES IN THE SKY
BY FIONA CUMMINGS
They came on that day
And everything went away
Filling up the sky
All I could do is ask why?
Bright lights
The sun came crashing down
Scorching the ground
Devastation all around
Like colourful kites
Flames burned eating the daylight
Clouds no longer white
I couldn’t believe my eyes
I could hear muffled cries
Giant stars
Flattening cars
Trees being pulled to reveal roots
Limbs, bags and boots
Was I the only one alive?
What would happen if I did survive?
Where there were, fields full of crops
Now were acres of soil and holes where vessels dropped
The backlash of flames
Melted the window frames
Doors unlocked
By the aliens that were landing
Giant moths expanding
Eating our wonderful earth
A new start
Who had given birth?
My family were gone
I was alone
Just dust, dirt
My insides were hurt
Like acid burning through me
Looking down, I started to bleed
Hungry monsters full of greed
Swallowing up our land
Grabbing with their hand
Regurgitating our souls
Cutting with a kind of scalpel
Pouring oil from a metaphorical bottle
Trashing all what was ours
In minutes
Not in hours
The pale blue sky turned to grey
Then the sun went away
And we were left with the navy night
Turning into black
Then as silver shapes fell from the blanket where they came from
The earth was one huge crack
The moon turned blue
And I promise this is true
A jet landed in front of me
I couldn’t believe what I could see

© Fiona Cummings 2017


No comments: