translate

Thursday 19 October 2017

ENGLISH CLASS 1 BY FIONA CUMMINGS


So, I have received quite a few emails of late asking me to write about the English language. My dear Bloggets who are studying English, you come to me for help? Well, all I can say is good luck. But, here we go.

 

 What words should we think about before we use them in a sentence or verbally use them?

Actually. Sometimes actually is used to give us more time to think about what we want to say. It can come across as being a know it all. We use actually as a table to rest on whilst better words come to mind.

 

Literally, should be used to describe an action. Literally is one of the most famously used words in English.   It’s another what they call crutch words, something to lean on whilst thinking of another word to use or, using literally could be used to search for a word as you don’t really know what is really, true.

 

Basically. This word is used in my opinion to make things less harsh, for example, “Basically Julie, people are telling me things that are basically concerning me.””

Basically, isn’t getting used for what it should be as the word it was meant to mean, basic. Basically, should signify something fundamental.

 

The word that really winds me up, is when people say like. In between every blooming couple of words. So, for example.

“She was like, no way, like, I’m not doing that. So, I said just do it, like, what is the worst that can happen to you? And she was like.””

And so on and so forth.

 

Now, multiple meanings.

That crane was a bird. The crane had to lift it up and she had to crane her neck to see the stage

His favourite fruit is a date. Tom took Louise out on a date.

Congratulations. I heard you got engaged. Or, the audience were very engaged in the performance.

They love to play in the leaves. The children don’t like it when their Father leaves for work.

What was your net gain this year? If you want to go fishing, bring a net.

The pencil has a sharp point. It’s not polite to point at people.

You are right. Turn right after the hotel.

My favourite flower is a rose. She rose from her seat.

I can type over 140 words per minute. That rests is not her type.

 

And then there are words that sound the same. They are pronounced the same but have a different spelling.

So, we shall look at those tomorrow and some really fun stuff to come too.

No comments: