translate

Monday 23 October 2017

BRING BACK MY SUMMERS PLEASE BY FIONA CUMMINGS #PoetryByFionaCummings


BRING BACK MY SUMMERS PLEASE

BY FIONA CUMMINGS  

 

My mind is as alert as the day I can remember

But my bones feel so cold even in September

I see the stairs

I’m at the top

But in reality

I want to drop

No one cares

They say I’m getting old

I can only see print if it’s bold

I can only hear if I get told

No good whispering in my ear

Speak up please

As for my knees

They hurt so much

My fingers tremble as I touch

I can’t stand this new body of mine

I lose things that once I could always find

In my mind, I laugh with pure white teeth a sparkling smile

But I look in the mirror and take a deep breath for a while

Who is that staring back at me?

Who did that to me?

I’m so confused

My arms all bruised

But how did I get like this?

My youth I so miss

It was stolen from me

Whoever has my body

Give it back please?

I no longer can reach the apples on the trees

And my suiters I can’t tease

I shiver I freeze

Bring back my summers please?

 

© Fiona Cummings

 

No comments: