translate

Tuesday 24 October 2017

DIARY OF THE FLU VACCINE BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Good afternoon Bloggets. Well I’m pleased to say I feel a bit better today, yesterday I had no energy at all. My throat was killing and I could hardly breathe. I have been reading up on the flu jab and people with asthma are recommended to get the flu vaccine. I never do apart from the stress and pain of the injection, I hate having something put into my body I don’t understand. When my Husband used to go abroad to all kinds of countries, he was always getting injections giving him dreadful whatever to stop him being ill when he went away, I just felt like it couldn’t do you any good long term. But I’m no Doctor and all Doctors say they are essential.

 

What is in the flu vaccination?

The nasal flu vaccine used for children contains gelatine from pork.

The flu vaccination injection contains hen eggs. If you don’t want your child getting the nasal gelatine then you will have to have the injection for your child. If you are allergic to hen eggs there is an egg free alternative. Not sure why the egg free and meat free can’t be a permanent option, unless it’s much more expensive to make. Religious leaders say it’s OK to have the pork gelatine as it’s been processed many times. I do wonder why we need to use a bit of pork and a bit of egg to make us stronger against flu?

 

Another part of the flu virous the main ingredient is of the vaccine is the disease causing virous bacteria or toxin, but other components make up the ingredients to make the final vaccine safe and effective.

 

Talking with my friend this morning she was telling me that when she went for her flu jab, she was told, she had to take another injection this time for shingles. Shingles? I don’t know if this is new, but my friend is over seventy so I think this is why I have not heard of it before as it’s only available for those over seventy. She was told not to go near anyone who is receiving chemotherapy. Well if you are on a bus, or in a queue, how on earth do you know if the person standing or sitting next to you isn’t receiving such treatment?

 

All I can say is my Mum received the flu jab every year, but, the year she refused it, not sure why, is the year she died of Pneumonia.

 

I’m still not getting it. So, if I get the flu and it turns into something life threatening, then it’s my fault. So, will I expect our NHS to save me free of charge? Yep, am I selfish doing that? I don’t think so. Well for twenty years now I have saved the NHS by not getting the flu jab.  I guess I will do it when I am over 60, but I have many years to worry about that beforehand.

 

The vaccination is free,  if you are pregnant, a diabetic or have asthma or, over the age of 65,if you ar very much overweight, work in social care or, live in a residential home.

 

 But you can’t get it free if you don’t fall under any of the above categories, then you can pay for your jab. Believe it or not, you can get your flu jab when you are buying your food groceries if you live in the UK.

Asda are the cheapest at only £5 but Boots the chemist is one of the most expensive at almost £13. Tesco also does the flu jab as do other supermarkets too. The price varies. But good old Asda is the cheapest.

 

Australia have reported 98 thousand cases of flu in 2017.

More than double the rate recorded last year.

 

Every year the strain changes to cope with whatever necessary that particular year. So, no year is the same ingredients.

 

This year pork and egg, next beef stroganoff!!!

 

 

  

 

No comments: