translate

Friday 27 October 2017

DIARY OF FRIDAY FEELINGS BY FIONA CUMMINGS


It’s Friday again. Where are the weeks going? My blog today, bear with!!! My head today is all over the place, so subject has turned into subjects. If I don’t have you dizzy after this one, I shall eat my hat, if I had one… Why not start as I mean to carry on?

 

 In England Fracking is a big issue. Well, no matter what the protesters do, sadly, it still will go ahead. I hate it. We are robbing from the earth, we have damaged the sky, the rocks are falling the air is dead. It’s difficult to take in fresh air now days. Now, we are breaking our earth and digging it will unsteady us and before we know it we will have earthquakes in England. Sadly, the police are acting on behalf of the frackers. As they are stopping the protesters I thought they were there to make sure there is no trouble, if it’s peaceful, then why interfere? So, the frackers can continue with their work? Then the Police agree with that? Or, are they not allowed an opinion, so, if that is the case, why are they on the side of the frackers? When we have robbed the ground, then where, what is left? Oh, yes, Mars. But only if you are rich. If you are not wealthy, then you will rot on this earth with the dead trees.

Just saying.

 

My Husband on a train or two today he has a manager meeting but will be home normal time. My Son, he is having a great time. He did safari loved it, fed some iguanas, visited a coffee plantation and drank rum and hot chocolate. Not sure in what order. He has been to a waterpark and tonight going to a nightclub where there are entertaining dancers and other performers. Last night’s supper was spent on the beach eating fish and listening to live music.

 

I’m still missing him dreadfully. But happy he is having a lovely time. I just hope tonight he doesn’t drink too much. He hasn’t really been out for a drink in over a year at home, he is too health conscious, but on holiday? And Shamrock is Irish, need I say much more? Smile. She likes her alcohol.

 

My friend came to chat when I answered the door to him, I couldn’t believe how sunny and hot it was. When I was out earlier with my Waggatail, it was cool, but it was early.

 

I’m waiting in for a Christmas present I ordered for my friend. I can’t believe I am ordering gifts for Christmas in October. I gave my Dad in law his last week when we saw him and my brother in law to take back to Australia. I have bought my brother and sister in law a very posh couple of gifts and another three friends are bought for. I hate the stress of on line shopping. I wish I could get out to shop like normal people. But on line it is, so far, this year the gifts have been really lovely. Sometimes when I order things, I am so disappointed and I just end up either keeping the gifts for myself or giving to charity. But this year no one will be benefiting from the gifts no one that they weren’t bought for. So far. There are still more people to buy for. I know what I am getting Sham. And my Son we have bought most of his things, just another couple to get him. Then there is Hub, oh, boy, he’s so difficult. And finally, our lovely friends who always really spoil us so, I have to organise something for them and they are not really that easy either. The thought of Christmas this year for some reason is daunting me. Normally putting up our tree and doing all the decorations I love to do, but this year for whatever reason, I’m feeling anxious. I hope by the time it gets to that point, I will have confidents. I was saying yesterday to people when writing now, in my sighted mind, I am forgetting what some things look like, and basic things by the way. This really scares me. It’s like going blind twice. Did I ever tell you when I think of a face from my past, going back almost twenty years now, I see it as I did when I had sight, as I was partially sighted what I saw was very clear just I only saw bits of whatever at a time. Like a part of a face and that is what I see now. Only more parts are missing. I try to train my mind every day, I say a word like car. Then paint it almost in my mind until I have seen the full car. Or, a clown, again doing the same and a clown because it’s so very easy to forget colours. Red yellow, green and blue are still easy to me peach and pink too, brown I struggle with and orange is in and out. Purple was looking too blue to me and I must say there is something about that colour I just am not getting. So, please try to do this too if you have been blind for a while or just blind, don’t lose this gift the only thing we can cling onto from our past.

 

I have heard this expression before people who have my eye disease RP, you, tell me it’s like having cancer. Well, we are told we have RP, we are told we will go blind. Well, when I was diagnosed many moons ago this was the case. I was four, and I feared the dark I was so scared of going blind. It to me was like the thought of dying. But when, when would it happen? No one could tell me and old Bloggets will know that in my mind blindness wasn’t an option, because of my life my past my parents. Russia made me believe that I would never be blind. I told the masses of press I would never go blind. When it happened, it was the most terrifying time of my life. I physically shook inside. My mouth was dry and I had no words that anyone wanted to hear. What was my future? Hell, that’s what. And it was.

 

No longer I could see the television, I couldn’t read a book. Read the letters in the morning or the headlines in a newspaper. What colours was I putting in the washing machine or, on my baby? How could I join in with my child’s play time or how could I teach him to read and write in the future? Immediate things like changing nappies/diapers or putting up his bottles of milk that had to go to a certain measure. What if I stood on him whilst he was playing? How could I watch him see where he was going? How would I deal with his needs like taking him to nursery? School? Find him when he was older and playing out? Oh, the list could go on for chapters.

 

I have written before how I suffered with the Charles Bonnet Syndrome. Oh, that was the absolute worst thing ever. My brain still could see but only evil. So, men would be in my house behind doors. And they were as real as when I could see. Carrying my baby to the kitchen to feed him in his highchair only to open the door and see a man in black standing there was the worst experience.

 

The night I went to bed sighted, with the fear one day I would be blind, was a nightmare. But the morning I actually woke up blind after having really good sight the night before, almost finished me off. I had used my eyes much more than I should have. I tell people with RP now to try and spend a few hours doing things around the house blind folded. Prepare yourselves. Don’t be in shock like I was.

 

I have gone through the deepest of depressions so bad that I am scarred now but I survived them. I beat many walls down fought until I was so exhausted in life to try to fight my case and your cases. Faced the worst teachers with my Son. Had to listen to their disgraceful appalling condescending attitude and hug my child as he too faced bullying and abuse because of my stupid blindness. But I learned that it’s not me who is stupid or my eyes, it’s other people. Only it took me too many years to realise that.

 

I do laugh a lot, something I honestly never thought I would do ever again. I have fun I have been abroad to many countries and in a few days my Husband who also is blind as many of you will know, are going away for a couple of nights with our friends who are also blind. We are not super blindies, we do ask for help like assistance at the train station and the hotel we are going we will ask to be shown where our table in the restaurant is, but at the end of the day, we will take a train and go to where we need to be. We will stay in a cottage in the grounds of the hotel. We will make cups of tea, we would be quite easily being able to make food if we were not eating in the restaurant as both my friend and I cook at home. We will negotiate the cottage and learn where everything is. And we will leave it as clean as it was when we arrived.  The four of us will have a lovely time. I hope to relax and for my loving Husband to have some chill time as he hasn’t had a break from work since we went with our friends last February for two nights. He had a week off work a few weeks ago but we both did all the jobs around the house and garden that require both of us. So, I hope this coming few days will be a break for us, a mental break too without stress. Knowing me, I will cause some kind of drama, sometimes I wonder when I open my mouth and rubbish falls out, why didn’t I just keep it closed?

 

Honestly, yesterday when I went out for lunch with my friend, the waiter was so lovely, really very kind. Well at the end he went beyond polite. I mean where we went was like a McDonalds it was far from posh, an yet his service was 5*! So, I should have just said. “I would like to thank you for your excellent service!””

Easy, right? Simple, clean, straight to the point.

But no, me, half way through the conversation suddenly thought, heck, can we even say waiters now? How dare I presume he is there to wait on me? Is it politically correct to say waiter? I know now actresses are becoming actors. Bar men is now a bar person and for a long time now a fire man is a fire fighter.  So, I started, and didn’t know how to finish.

“Thank you by the way, for being such a wonderful wait, em, well, serve, oh, em, well you have been a brilliant em, person.””

 

Oh, what a pleb I am, I tell you cool is not my middle name. I was red. Can’t say waiter can’t say server? What a tool I am. He did chuckle. Or was he in fear of the lunatic that was before him. My friend was as helpful as a chocolate teapot. She just laughed her socks off.

 

Well, I hope your plans for your weekend are as you intend them to be and I shall keep in touch be good, if you can’t be good, be very naughty but don’t forget to tell me all about it. Xx

 

  

 

 

 

No comments: