translate

Thursday 15 September 2016

HOLIDAY DIARY 2016 BY FIONA CUMMINGS ALL PARTS)


We are back. Gosh, where to begin? I will have to write this in two parts at least.   I said goodbye to our darling dogs as they went on their holidays with two different people. I wish they could have stayed together, but never mind, when they get back home, in doggy language, they will have loads to tell each other, and apparently my Wagga has had a real busy week. More on her week and her adventures in a later blog. I said goodbye to stress as we locked up our house and headed to the airport in the Teenmobile.

 

 You know we have HIVE. A heating device that we control from our mobile phone, right? It’s great if you can’t see, well, now we have a light from the same company. You just pop the bulb into the ceiling, and you can tell it when to turn on and off. Even how bright you want the light to appear. We set it before we left but we could check it whilst we were away. It’s so easy and very accessible.

 

With the security of knowing our house would not be left in darkness and knowing our dogs were safe and happy, our journey could begin. Teen was to drive us to the airport. I had to pinch myself to think I’m sitting next to my baby. My Son who I only hoped would see enough to be able to do all what I couldn’t ever do. It was a feeling which will always fill me with gratitude. But aside the sight thing, the fact that he is driving, to me  he will always be my baby, now in charge of a machine that in reality is a killing machine. But he was great.  Though we did have to suffer his music. He did try to put on quotes, our music, but it wasn’t my music for sure. Oh my…

 

Teen set his Sat Nav and we headed for the almost two-hour drive to the airport. Well, the car park first. I booked it if you remember over the phone, with a combination of that and on line, I did worry if even the carpark would be there? You never know. Oh my goodness, a warning later about something you should never book on line before you go on holiday. I will tell you the story will make you gasp may be feel really sad but laugh your flip flops off.

(Flip flops are footwear you wear on the beach. Haha.)

 

We found the parking place. It recognised Teens registration and the barrier lifted. A good sign. We parked close to the bus stop. A private bus that picked you up and took you to the airport. It was all in with the price. Teen did so well. It was pouring with rain and he parked really close to the shelter. It was the correct one too. After ten minutes the bus came. I confirmed that it was the correct bus, it was and Teen put the cases on the shelf as we sat down.

 

There was a lady in front of me who wanted to know my shoe size. Obviously, she was in shock that two blind people were able to have a holiday? And she wasn’t the only one who was curious to how why and when. Again, more later.

 

Things were happening too smoothly. What on earth could go wrong? How easy we found everything. The weather was cold and wet. So much we needed some nice weather. A stress free week. But first we had to fly with Ryanair…

 

As we entered the airport, again team work by me asking the driver and doing loads of research first before we left the house for weeks, and Teens eyes, we got off at the correct place into the airport and to the desk. Checked in our cases, had the right paperwork, I must say that was stressful as with this company, we had to do everything and their website isn’t blind friendly. But all paperwork in place and off we went. Headed to the duty free shop where the prices were shocking but the free sprays we all had were rather lovely hahahehehe.

 

Now crunch time… We went to get on the aeroplane and we got wrong. A very serious lady told us that they had been waiting for us… I had to tell them when I booked it over the phone that Hub and I were blind. So long story short, after she told us off because we should have gone to confirm with them we were disabled so they could do what I’m not sure, as when they did catch up with us, all she did was tell me I was naughty, haha. And told us we couldn’t use the stairs but had to use the lift. As she pushed the button, she then told us again, they were waiting for us… The lift doors opened. The lady had stayed on the top floor and a man was standing there telling us off again. “Hi, we have been waiting for you…” Oh not again? Anyway, I said sorry, and he grumbled and walked away. So, now what? Assistance? I don’t think so… We headed for the flight and as we found our seats again thanks to Teen, not the staff who had been waiting for us, we sat down. The bit Voluptuous had been dreading. Will the belt buckle?

 

I was left to wonder if this is why the flights were so cheap with Ryanair? Obviously they use less material when making them. I tell you, never before have I felt sorry for a lump of cheese. I swear, the belt was cutting through me like a cheese string. Hub asked if I was OK? And in a much higher voice than normal, I answered yes.

 

A rather abrupt flight attendant told us all to be quiet. She said and that is everyone? Hahaha. No one would dare speak and around the aircraft you could hear echoes of parents hushing their babies. Apart from that and a rather scary moment on the way back again I will tell you about that later, Ryanair in fairness were fine. A safe landing both ways, and even though I did wonder if the aeroplane was going to split in half as it did make sounds I have never heard from an aircraft before, it was OK.

 

  So our holiday began months ago. Organising where when and so on. We picked the same place as last year because we knew what was there and the house I chose on paper seamed to be perfect for us two who are blind and our Son who we didn’t want to stress out too much if at all by guiding us places he didn’t know.

 

The area was or is, called  Grau d’Agde in the south of France. It is a fishing village where the canal meets with the sea along a beautiful white sandy beach. Along the canal and sea, there are wooden steps which lead to restaurants and bars. Mainly fish restaurants, though there are other places to eat for example Thai food, burgers and pizza’s. Everywhere sells salads with of course Provence herbs and oils. Cheeses and olives. There are a few bakers fruit shops and a local convenience shop along with gift shops which sell lovely items such as pottery, Jewry, and unusual things like Buddha’s and fine clothing, along with shells of course and wooden boats. Nothing is tacky though. There is a fair for the young at heart but the nice thing is, nothing leaves you filled with fear and dread.

 

Just under two hours, we had arrived. The heat of the south of France was amazing. It was a tiny airport which was seventeen minutes from our house. Teen bless his heart took the cases off the belt and on our way to get our pre booked taxi. Oh my. What was to come next really was an eye opener.

 

Part two

Teen looked across the carpark as we got our cases and said.

“Mum. There is a lady with a sign which reads Toni and our sir name. Are we sharing?””

I said no, that wasn’t the plan. As we went to the sign, a really rude French person with breasts, really I’m not totally sure if it was a he or a she, and after our journey, I still wasn’t sure. There was a girl speaking in a Liverpool accent and at this point I wish I could do a video and do her accent. It was really strong and I can’t put across in writing just how it was, but she was going crazy on the phone to the taxi company because she said she had paid for a taxi back home and she went with that company because they spoke English and she was not told she was sharing. I agreed with her, but her tone was not very nice. We stood there like fools. It was really embarrassing. She knew we were there too. She said.

“No way am I sharing with another family. You said it was a taxi with an English speaking person and this driver doesn’t speak a word of English. I have two small children and this isn’t on. I don’t know these people and no way I’m paying almost £50 to share.”” I agreed again, but because she knew we were there, it just was uncomfortable. I thought, it’s a mini bus love. Get in we will pay half each mind you she had already paid. Well, long and short of it, Hub and I understood enough to know that the English speaking driver, car had broken down and she sub contracted another driver from another company. We piled in the large vehicle that was a 12 seater. Leather seats with air conditioning. Lovely, and the entertainment on the way was really awkward. So, those who know the Liverpudlian accent, imagine this?

The little boy in the back called on loud speaker his father. His Dad sounded absolutely drunk as a skunk. Oh no, in a mini bus there was no escape from the conversation. I was waiting for the man to swear or say something to the Mother as it was obvious by then that they were not together. As the two children told their Father about their dreadful taxi situation, it got worse. The little girl Teen said she was so cute, she had no teeth at the front so I guess about six, and long blonde hair. She took the phone, still on loud speaker, and she said.

“Dad. They swabbed me teddy for drugs! What happened if he had drugs on him? They would have kept him?

 

Then they swabbed me to see if I was a real Liverpool fan?””

 

Obviously that is what the Mother would have told the little girl. Bless her. Then the Mother said to her little girl. “Well you got teddy back, but you know how people from Liverpool speak? I love it, everything has an odd sound at the end. She went on to say, he got his little passport stamped and all was fine.  Then the classic. The little girl told her Dad. “They even took me bat and ball off me saying it was a weapon?”” The little boy chipped in and said. “Yeah, in me Mum got through wir er perfume bottle, and she could have murdered someone wir that?”

 

The children were so funny, but it was the fact that the sweet little six year old knew all about drugs and the word swab? No way I would have known that at her age? Her Mum was singing to the music on the radio. Teen said she looked about 23. Well the eldest boy was about nine. He was so serious. As for the girl she will grow to be a really moody lass, as her face spoke more to the window rather than her Dad. You could tell they didn’t have time for the person on the other end. They kept cutting him off but the Dad phoned back. It was the way he spoke? Like he had been drugged himself. Then the Mum started again saying it was disgraceful that she had to share. Then she asked the kids if they wanted to go and live in Australia with her? Hahahaha. They both said no. I got the impression that the kids lived with their grandparents as they did have manners and just a little thing like the little girl passed me my seat belt, oh but that one had loads of spare strap haha. I just got a feeling that these children had old values, OK they knew the drug terminology, but they were old fashioned. We asked the lady where she was staying. She told us a campsite. She saw where we were going as we pulled into the avenue and she turned to the children and said next year she may book one of these houses. She said to us, if the driver got lost, she would come to our house for the night…. Hahahhahaa. We got out of the bus. The driver told us it was 33 Euros. We said no way, or I said no way. Hub had already handed over the money. I was furious. I said you only are taking the lady across there pointing in what direction? I didn’t know, hahahaha. But we went to the campsite last year by accident and it is five minutes across the canal and we were quoted to get to the house but first stop at the shop to stock up on food. We had not got to the shop with all of the hassle.

 

She didn’t even drop us off at the house, she pointed and told us to walk the rest of the way. She was so aggressive. She kept swearing in French and in English the only words she used. “Jesus Christ.”” Hub told me to leave it as the children had enough stress without me arguing in very poor French. I probably was telling the driver her Mother was a donkey or something. As she handed me my case, she pushed her rather ample chest against my elbow. Yep, they were that low. Hahahaha. But hu’uu’uu’ge. Rather resembled swinging cricket bats!

 

I asked Teen if it was a he or a she. He said he didn’t know, but the person was wearing a dress. Hahahaha. Her voice was deeper than Hubs and sounded as if she had swallowed sandpaper. Boy, she was rough.

 

Well, what happened to the poor family next, was a total nightmare and for that my heart hurts for them. More on that later.

 

So Should I phone our man who was to meet us at the house, or should we be adventurous and look ourselves for the house.  All of the back gardens had security gates and that is a laugh and a half, oh my wait for that story. Hahaha. Seriously, it is a hoot!!!

 

One intercom I was speaking in French asking if they were number 12? When I realised what I was saying, it translated as “What is it, number 12?”” oh well, she understood as she then started to tell us in French, just where number 12 was. Hahaha. Em. Help?

 

Long and short, we pushed a button and a familiar voice answered. Thank goodness, it was Andre and Joss in the background.

 

Electric gates opened and we were welcomed in the grounds by the family. And what a welcome. Oh my. Imagine. Never been to this house before and all I can hear is the sound of the gates closing, the sea in the background but that amazing tone of silence. Wow. No cars, busses tractors and so on. No pollution. The fragrances were spectacular. Like lily’s, there were lemon oils and other herbs. Palm trees swayed as we passed and crunched along the gravelled drive. Drive? Car park. Seriously, you could park nine cars. There were fragrances I had never smelled before. Oh gosh, wow. We just kept walking, I asked Teen was this their grounds, or were were sharing that too? Haha. He replied. Mum. This is their garden, wow, Mum Dad, this is stunning. I can’t breathe it’s so stunning.”” Then as we climbed loads of steps, Teen went quiet. So did I, but it wasn’t for the same reason that Teen was quiet. For me, every breath had left my body, the heat and exertion took everything I had. Thank God for the treadmill leading to our holiday? As for Teen, he was stunned. The doors opened. I can only say it was like walking into a movie scene. Teen turned to me and said. “Mum. I can’t believe this place.””

 

Andre and  Jos filled the fridge with cool drinks as well as red, rose and white wine. They bought us delicious ice cream and there was a cupboard full of flavoured teabags as well as ordinary bags and so many coffee pods for the machine there was also a juice machine. The kitchen was so modern an yet small but the dining room was huge as well as the sitting room. Teens room was on the ground floor along with his bathroom. As for ours? Heck, upstairs that was so dangerous. Gosh, this house was not blind friendly. And I was to learn more later about just how dangerous it really was.

 

Our bedroom had two balconies which had seating which looked over the sea and sands. We had an open plan bathroom in our room. It was massive, the whole room was the length of our downstairs back home in England.

 

Have you heard the children’s nursery rhyme, ten in the bed? Well you couldn’t get ten in our bed, but five for sure.

 

There were low beams on the ceiling and Teen had to bend down. I was a tiny bit off them and Hub just scraped by without touching them. As for the shower, we were to find out that washing our hair was a challenge. Haha. Teens bathroom had a sink in it like a double his and hers. It was the shape of a wave. In our room we had a huge sailing boat and it was all a nautical theme.

 

Andrei and family made us feel very welcome. They are lovely people and they even offered to take us to the shop to buy goods. Hub and Teen left with the family and I sat on the veranda next to the pool which looked over the sands and onto the sea. Oh the smells were simply brilliant. Refreshing and I wanted to bottle them up. I could feel all of my stress leaving my body. The heat was out for show but I was under a shady area on a comfortable sofa big enough for at least five people. Everything was huge, all of the furniture. Bought for me coming? Haha. No, even I sat on the dining chair and there was room at each side.

 

Ages later Teen and Hub arrived home and said they bought the ladies flowers that was so sweet. Hub is really a kind man. Then the fun began. Discovering the house and grounds.

 

The house was not square or oblong. It was like a zig zag. Gosh, trying to learn your way around when you can’t see a thing was really a challenge and by the end of the night, we were both exhausted. We got lost but we just shouted on each other. Haha. Silly Hub made the sounds of a vehicle reversing so I would find him. Good job the neighbours were far.

 

We decided to get changed for dinner and go and look for the village. We were out of it this visit and were not really sure which way to go.

 

It took a good six minutes to leave the house and grounds. Turned left and just walked. Teen did so well. He found the place where all the shops and restaurants are and we ate for the boys a lovely meal. As for me? Apart from the UK, I’m sure there are no other countries oh, apart from India as well, who do vegetarian food. So I had a green salad and chips where as Teen and the Hubster ate three courses. Fish soup with crusty bread and cheese to sprinkle on then fish for mains. Hub had his main and said it was in the top ten food for most delicious meal ever and he has travelled all over the world with his work. Teen had a fish lasagne. He loved it. Then they had desert and I had fresh fruit salad. The atmosphere was wonderful. All French speaking that is why I love that aria because there are mainly French people who holiday there.  I don’t like going abroad and listening to people speaking English it’s too close to home When in Rome do as the Romans do. Or in our case, French.  

 

The ducks swam in the canal beside us and fish jumped out of the water flopping back in again. A bit higher and one would be already on the plate. The awful thing was, especially as a vegetarian, there was also duck on the menu. I don’t get meat eaters… I couldn’t, not even when I ate meat could I eat something sat or swimming next to me… Hub was fine and Teen struggled a little but once he tasted the food, he was Okay too!!

 

The thought of the long walk home and now it was dark, would we find the house? All the houses along there are the same? I was a little anxious as of course we depended on Teen to remember the way back. In my mind I had a map so together we walked along passing the open bar with a singer on the microphone and happy holiday folk clapping in time with the beat. The air felt warm and welcoming as the locals passed us saying bonsoir! I was delighted that Teen really was getting into trying to speak the lingo. I was really good at languages as a child and wanted so badly for my Son to continue with that ability, but sadly he disliked languages at school, but on this holiday, he was brilliant.

 

Low hanging trees stroked our head as we passed under the moonlight. Teen said he could see the stars so clearly. The sea was rather excited as it passed by in a hurry. There were people playing grass games to the left and so many dog walkers. I thought of our dogs, but it would be so hot for them and they would not be able to work as they had not been taught the route.

 

Question was, had we remembered the route? Well by this point, gosh I was shattered. Teen doesn’t walk, he runs. He said he was walking slowly, really? I held his arm and Hub mine. The street narrowed and exquisite flowers and shrubs were close by.

 

Teen took a key and pressed the button. Wow, gates opened and we entered the grounds. He found our house and in the dark too. We looked around the back of the gardens. There was lights along the paths. A beautiful pond and a huge palm with a leather bed to lounge on in the sun. Around another corner and there was an outside kitchen with a table with a lovely cloth on it and four chairs. A proper sink cooker and cupboards. In the cupboards were all the crockery you wanted and there was a candle in the shape of an elephant, similar to what I have at home.

 

Then the sitting aria. It was under a slate roof with open sides. A really comfortable sofa. Gosh it was amazing, there were tall lamps to read under and really nice high back seats with coffee tables scattered some with lamps on. The garden went off all over to the sides. It was like a secret garden. It was ten at night and as still and warm as the warmest day imaginable. It was so peaceful and I took in the French lavender. Then a look at the out houses. There was another building with three further bedrooms in and a sitting room as well as two bathrooms and another part with a forth bedroom and the washing house with cupboards of supplies that Andrei told us to use if we ran out. There was a very scary cellar that went under the pool. I didn’t venture there….

 

As we entered the narrow staircase lights came on Teen said from the top balcony facing the back garden, the sight was stunning.

 

Into the house, sat out the front listening to the sea for a while and then to find our bedroom. Hahaha. Teen asked if we needed help, we said no it was fine, I locked up all the doors, as there were many and seriously trying to find them all was a challenge. Got to our room up the two flights of stairs without a rail to hold and a drop to the tiled downstairs was not a thought that I enjoyed. The bedroom was so lovely. Towels and bedding so posh and the place was immaculately clean, this is my main thing. I hate staying at dirty places and I have been very lucky that only twice in my life I have stayed in holiday places that were not clean. This was as if brand new. Oh I was so going to enjoy this week. It would be some kind of freedom for me. I found a marble dressing table in our room it was beautiful. There was a huge sailing ship made from wood there and angels and Buddha’s as well as elephants so home from home for me.

 

Now, were the lights on or off? Good question that I didn’t think about until I was totally in the suit that I was born in.

Happy campers…

 

Some people had tents on the beach, but they were so quiet and well behaved. So unlike England shamefully. I’m really not sure where our social behaviour has gone wrong, but there in France it was so perfect, I really do think it is that area too.

 

The next day Hub and Teen went to the bakers they found one fifteen minutes away. Came back with French bread and delicious pastries and cheese. We drank French coffee outside on the veranda and planned a gentle day of chilling. Pool time.

 

Oh my, the pool. Again, no rail to hold as I went down into the welcoming cool water and gosh, it was so deep? Good job we are all tall. I am five feet nine and had to stand doing an impression of a ballerina. Hahaha. No comments please Bloggets?

 

It was perfect loved it. As people played on the beach we enjoyed our very own pool.

 

Then after we dried out we took a walk on the beach, oh boy, oh my…. Em. Okay, what was separating us from the twenty foot drop onto the sand? A thin wire… Not wanting to spoil the view, Andre doesn’t want to put anything there. There was nothing to say where the drop was and open the gate not safe, there were fifteen steps or so onto the sand. One false move and you were off the steps as there was an open gap. I held onto the rope for my life. Hahaha. At the bottom of the steps was a basket full of kid’s toys, not sure I would take kids there, but you know what? No one took the toys. There was a boat too that you stand on and paddle. So whilst Hub and I walked along the edge of the sea, Teen went hunting for shells on a near by island. It was funny to see him try to ride his boat. Then Hub had a try. A beautiful afternoon and then time to eat again, but time for that awful long hot walk. Or in Teens case. Run.

 

We did the markets where I bought some lovely items. A suede handbag and a folding wooden bread basket as well as the gift shops where I bought some very unusual pottery. Teen bought Shamrock some earrings that are really pretty, made from shell. And on night three, oh my goodness. That is where I could start to write a very scary novel. It’s been a while since I was so afraid

 

Part three

We had a lovely day Hub and Teen went on the canoe. I took the opportunity to try to vacuum the floor as there was a lot of sand caused by us. Oh my that was fun. When you are not too sure of your surroundings, like where the furniture leaves the area and where it is clear to clean? At home I know where everything is like wires/cables floor standing plant pots and so on, but it was OK and I enjoyed it. Then I went to sit in the garden and took in the sounds sun and sweet smells. I took a cup of coffee out with me and just let the worlds worries wave over my head passing me as they flew along to another time zone. My body actually shivered with pain relief. This was what it was all about. I knew my boys were having a great time the boat was double their length and Teen would be doing most of the work this is what he likes, exercise. I text our dog sitters and all was well at home and my Wagga was having a ball by all accounts. LF was out on a walk every morning. He would love that. It was great to know our babies were well. I really could relax, until that evening then it was time to take a chill pill…

 

So, boys back safe with all of their news and after a dip in the pool, we got ready to go out for dinner. That dreaded walk of pain. Why pain? As most of you will know, I have had four bad falls outside during my adult life and each time I fell on my knees so this has caused damage. My last fall a few months ago on the road has left me with constant pain where at home I am OK I can deal with it, but when you are frog marched on a twenty-minute run with a fit teen, my joints were crunching you could actually hear them. The pain was really bad by this day, as if a huge rusty nail was being driven from the bottom of my leg right through my knee. Then like fireworks, pains would shoot right out from every angle!

 

We went down the almost thirty steps to the grounds and headed towards the front gate. Teen did the usual and pressed the key control. Nothing happened. I thought perhaps the fob needed a new battery?  Teen went to the house and got another key. Same nothing. Oh no… Thankfully we had the number of Andre so we could call him, but, time was running away with itself as the curtains of the cobalt sky were preparing to close!

 

I wondered if I had pressed a button in the house, because I tried to keep the lights off before bed, there were so many switches and a lot of them closed the outside shutters, but two switches acted as the intercom. Poor Teen went back up the stairs to see. I could hear him talking through the speaker so the electrics were working, but what if it was a fuse in the electric box? Where was that? Teen went to look in the spooky cellar. Hub knew that teen would be afraid so he went to find him to be with him. So there I was left at the gate. The odd rustle from the shrubs I hoped was the lizards which frequented the vast grounds. It was so quiet. The place was so big I couldn’t even hear the boy’s voices. Gosh, suddenly I felt a little spooked because of a couple of events that had gone on which I had kept to myself. More on that later.

 

Bare in mind this is an old fisherman’s cottage, right on the shoreline. There was a seven foot gate which lead onto a narrow lane. The bit I didn’t like about the house was how it was open to those who decided to climb up to us. For example, the front of the house where we looked over the beach, there was a gate which was kept closed at the top of the duney steps but it was a short gate not locked. Then you could come through that and go around the side of the house and after a lot of steps, you had access to the front garden, where I was, and once in there, no one could see you. I said a homeless person could live there without a problem. There was a bed, a comfortable sitting room and even a kitchen, if they continued going around the other side, there was an outside shower. We locked the outside bathroom but it was left open when we arrived. Even the door to the cellar was kept unlocked that lead under the swimming pool. You could quite easily be murdered here. Well, all of these thoughts going on in my head, suddenly the smells of the night went from sweet florals and lemons to earthy fragrances.

 

A Russel in the bushes made me jump. I knew the sky was now darker than before and whatever happened to the gate, also effected the garden lights so I was in total darkness.

 

I knew that the house was haunted. I knew it was an old man. Those who are not connected with spirits will now poo poo this but since a tiny child sadly I have felt spirit. If I were not so afraid, I would be quite easily able to talk to them and receive answers. This day I was at the kitchen sink cleaning it and it was whilst the boys were on the sea. I felt a presence. You know, well those who can’t see will know what I mean. When the air becomes heavier and your space seams closed in? I turned so fast my heart was pounding almost jumped out of my body as I naturally went into the attack position, something I was taught to do in self defence classes. Thankfully I kind of half remembered my instructions but as I turned, my memory of such lessons froze, a bit like time stopping still. As I did this, there was a dreadful sound which came from what I picked up on as a man in his eighties or a bit younger. He stood at five feet five roughly and he had a dreadful asthmatic sound to his breathing, possibly emphysema! He was about half an arm from me. If I had not have turned at that point, how much closer would he have got?

 

The same man came to me on night one. Then on day two, something that we were looking for a shower gel for teen, which by the way was a huge bottle, Hub said he had seen it earlier in the day, I looked I knew I packed it, I opened the case and went right through it, leaving the case open so I could put more clothes in the robe. I went to teen and asked him to come upstairs to see if Hub had left it on the dressing table or in our bathroom? You know if you can’t see, you can miss something by one inch. He looked and then looked through the case. He left the room. I continued putting things away. Then Teen came back up and asked for an adapter? I showed him Hubs rucksack where it was, Teen said. “Oh great Mum, you found my shower gel?”” I replied no. He said it’s there Mum, I asked where? He replied by taking my hand, and continuing to say on the suitcase lid. I asked him to show me? Well, I didn’t say anything as didn’t want to spook him, but the case lid was closed, zipped even, and the gel was on the top of the case.

 

I tell you, that case lid was open as I still was taking things out and who put that gel there? None of us that is for sure. I didn’t stay up there for long after that…

 

We sat out that same night and there was a huge crash in the house, we all jumped again we made light of it in front of teen, I just turned the pages of life and moved on as I had a week here and couldn’t let it be so I was so afraid. But at nights I slept with the light on. Spirits don’t like electric.

 

So I’m still at the gate. I don’t have hairs on the back of my neck but I think that night I grew them as my neck prickled. My mouth was dry and I just thought what if this is a conspiracy? Get the boys in the house then lock them in the cellar and murder me? Well just before flight, I heard and I swear this is true just as everything in this blog is, I heard heavy prominent footsteps crunch their way along the side of the house, coming towards me.

 

I shouted on the guys and with my trusty cane I ran as fast as a wounded Fi could run and just wanted to let the whatever know I wasn’t alone, but what if my theory was true and they had been locked in the cellar? Oh gosh!

 

Part four

The warm air suddenly became cold and decided to chase me, a breeze which blew me to the house, thankfully directly there as there were so many side paths and obstacles in the way like metal or cast iron planter’s statues and so on as well as lamps which if you may remember were now off. My cane found the two steps up along more gravel and up another three steps I was already high up and felt the air more so than before, the grounds opened and yet I felt as if I was being closed in, swallowed up by fear. As the sea air caught my breath and blew my hair I was exposed. As if on a cliff top.

 

Then the chilling voice of my Son. Thank God, but he wasn’t happy. It wasn’t his normal voice of contempt. But it really was him. I stopped, almost freezing once again. He asked if I were Okay, of course I replied.

 

I asked where was Dad? He answered he was coming, heck, where was he? Then I heard Hub say it wasn’t the fuse and we were going to have to call out Andre. I didn’t want to do this as he lives half an hour at least from the property. We went in the house and I had a cup of tea. The house was lovely, I felt safe but we were all in one room. All together. Andre was lovely and through our dreadful French we were able to make ourselves understood. Forty minutes later, he came out and told us that he needed to get an engineer out. But it would be in the morning when they would get to us. Meanwhile, he showed us how to get to the back lane through the beach entrance. So down the roped stairs and onto the sands, not good when you are dressed to go out to a restaurant. The sky was black though it was only quarter to nine. No street lights of course. Along the beach and up a side alley to more steps. At about twenty past nine or just after we arrived at the restaurant. A jug of water and bottle of apple juice was required. The boys ate well and I took in the wonderful atmosphere of our fishing village. It was so warm. The ducks on the canal were still swimming. There were no lights in the restaurant but teen said the street lights provided enough light to see.

 

Thank goodness teen see’s well in the dark. There was a time when I thought he didn’t. When he first started to drive, he told me he struggled seeing in the dark and those who have Retinitis Pigmentosa will know the first sign of our disease is not being able to see in the dark.

 

This night we went to a new restaurant and it was really nice. Classy and believe it or not, the waitress was or is, a vegetarian so was able to talk with the chef and give me a slightly different meal to chips. Just slightly. She was a lovely lady. Teen said she really looked like an old fashioned French lady, possibly from a hundred years ago. Amish? I asked? I imagined her to live with a huge group of people, wearing long dresses and a hat. I described her to teen and sometimes I think he thinks I really can see? Haha I wish. I said she was short, very thin, painfully so, she had her hair long dark and in a bun. Long dark eye lashes and a pointy face. He was really surprised and said every detail was spot on. But she was lovely, so sweet. The people sitting in the restaurant were really warm. Speaking so quietly and refined. How people would just come in with their tiny dogs too. The only thing I don’t like about France is they smoke in bars and restaurants. It’s disgusting. I pray we will never go back there in England? It’s not allowed in public places like shops, restaurants and so on over here.

 

Then the long walk back to the house bare in mind we had to walk right down the steps onto the pitch black beach and passing two lovers who I hope were dressed, haha. They were quiet though, Teen said along the beach were tents, just two or three scattered. He saw with the moonlight and not quite so romantic his IPhone torch.

 

So up the stairs with the rope to help us up and along our veranda and into the side garden, more steps and along the massive drive and paths which lead to the steps to the house. Old wooden door locked and home sweet home. This house was so interesting. The sofa provided such comfort. I drank a gallon of water as I was dehydrated by the earlier events in the evening.

 

The next day Teen and Hub went on a jet ski. I sat in the garden at the back listening to the sea singing sweet songs. In the afternoons, the sea gets rough, it’s song changes to a roar a swoosh. Left right, left right, the waves dance, as if to do dosey doe

 

The boys came home, they had a hoot. Teen said he went seventy miles per hour and at one point, the two of them fell off. Not for going too fast, quite the opposite, too slow, Hub said they turned a corner and it was going so slow that they simply both fell in. Oh no? They laughed and said it was great. Oh my, to get back on I would have died. Hub loved it but mainly did it for teen. Teen was so lovely he said he didn’t want to do it because no way he wanted us to spend that money on him. So Hub said he wanted to go on the jet ski, of course he wasn’t bothered, but he knew that teen would go on for him. We then went to the village again and sat at an ice cream bar, well on the jetty. It was my favourite place last year and again this year. Same sofa’s so comfortable. Hub knew my leg was killing so we booked a taxi to go back to the house. Well it is about six minutes in the car and twenty to walk. But cost the equivalent of £10 for such a short journey, but to me it was necessary as by this day, I could hardly walk. Each time I put my foot on the ground, I felt as though my knee was going to splinter. The pain was dreadful. We had gone to the chemist and bought pills. I was living on pain killers. I was so cross with myself.

 

We had bought food from the market and bakers and had a feast in our house that night. Sitting out looking over the sea and sands. Smelling the sea air and loving the whipping sounds of the palms and teens descriptions of the lovely lizards in the shrubbery’s. The table was huge and solid wood. The food was delicious. Breads, cheeses, olives, tomatoes and province herbs the boys ate ham and chicken. We had pastries and little cakes with cups of tea and some stunning sweet grapes to finish with.

 

Teen took a bike that was also provided by Andrei and Joss and in the evening went to the lighthouse. Hub put some music on it was classical musical and he sipped on red wine whilst I smiled, feeling so happy. Our tiny family the two most loved boys

 Were happy this made me, happy.

 

Hub and I talked about what we had seen on this holiday, a tiny dog in a pram because according to its owner, he had hurt his foot on the beach. He looked so cute like a baby. Even the pram had a pillow.

 

The sounds of the grass games that were being played as we walked by and just being together. Hub said he had all he wanted and I was so content to see him so happy. Teen returned and we went to bed and dreamt of the next day’s events.

 

Part four

The rest of the week was lovely, my knee sadly got so much worse almost unbearable to walk, it got warmer and we had a lot of fun. Teen said he loved his holiday so that made my day. But soon time to pack to go home, or should I leave that up to our ghost? Haha.

 

Andre offered to take us back to the airport, this was so lovely especially after the last time we had transport what had gone on there. We laughed and wondered if the lady and kids would be there from Liverpool? Bless her, I wondered how she got on and more on that in a mo jo.

 

Hub and I are used to taking care of ourselves as regards packing, after all, we had to do it at our awful boarding schools. We just make sure that we don’t scatter things around the room, whether it be hotel or house. In a house it’s a bit more difficult. As there are things upstairs and down. But with regards clothes, apart from swimming trunks and costume, which hung outside. Even things like shoes, we leave at the door. So for those who are without sight or have very little, here are some tips.

1.       Leave keys at the door either in the door or right next to it.

2.        Leave white cane next to door at all times when entering property/hotel room

3.        Leave shoes at door either outer door or bedroom door

4.        Find shelf in robe for dirty clothes

5.        Keep clothes in robe or back of a chair never scatter

6.        Keep toiletries in soap bag get a large bag if necessary

7.        Try to use only one international plug transformer so you don’t forget which socket you have put it in also the least items you have to find at the end of your holiday the better.

8.       Keep your money safe if you have to leave a bag in your house or room as you won’t want to carry all your holiday money each day, put it under your pillow if you are not expecting cleaners, if you are, hang bag in robe under clothing.

9.       If you are staying in a house, downstairs try to locate one place in the kitchen where you keep things like sun glasses pills and things you will use as a family like a camera or sun cream

10.    Before you leave write phone numbers in your format like large print or Braille, if Braille also print off version for sighted person example taxi driver for address put all your flight information and emergency numbers there. If you are booking a hotel and you are taking your guide dog, make sure before you go you ask about area’s to spend your dog. (Toilet) you can get foldable dog dishes so easy for transportation. If you are going abroad with your dog, remember the water situation? If it’s not good enough for you to drink it won’t be good enough for your dog.

  

So Hub and I packed. We had asked Teen to? Haha. Em. Teen to do anything on time? Nope, the last night at eight in the evening, his first load of washing went in the machine. We just said we would do ours at home. By ten the washing was still dry. Something went wrong. What did that mean? Daddy stayed up late and made sure it was sorted all dry and so on for him. So I tried to wake him up, teen that is! At eight, we had to be out by ten for the cleaners. The night before I cleaned as best as I could to help them out. I wanted to strip the beds but ran out of time. Teen got up at nine. He knew that his washing was still in the washing machine… Well as he got from his slumber, Hub presented him with a basket. He was grateful. But if it was still wet?

 

He said. “Calm down Mum. What is there to do?”” I could have throttled him smile. I said there is a dish washer, shall we empty that? Fridge too empty, tell you what, we will do that too? As for your sun glasses and trunks, do you know where they are? Oh, then bins to empty. Well he got the picture, emptied the bins and just got packed in time.

 

Oh I was sad to leave, but was grateful for the week we had. One week per year isn’t enough though. It was thirteen months since I had been for a walk or just breathed in fresh air. Mind you the state of my knee I was almost crippled. The pains were horrific. It would be pointless seeing a doctor, I can only hope when I get home, and wrest it, it will be OK. Still hurt I have that for life but not agonising I hoped?

 

Andre came with Joss. They were so lovely, Joss brought us some biscuits in a tin. We sat on the outside sofa in the front garden taking in our last bit of fresh air. The trees made it pure and light.  Joss asked teen so many questions about us, we are used to such questions in countries that are not so exposed to blind people, but in France? She said to him his life must be very difficult. I was so cross. Teen didn’t go into too much detail as I know it annoys him too, but she also took it upon herself that of course we had never worked? Hahaha.

  Gosh if only she knew about Hub and his past jobs, what he did where he went? It would blow her mind. It still blows my, mind. As for my past? Gosh, that is a few volumes in itself. I could write for years and years and never get to the bottom of my life story. But we smiled and thanked her so much for a wonderful holiday and we took a taxi into the village so that we could give them a chance to clean we would be out of their hair.

 

 They were so hospitable though even wanting to make us a drink. They reminded me of the good old days in Russia, before New Russians spoiled themselves. My dear friend much missed and loved Taisa, old Russians who were the salt of the earth. Now the new ones wouldn’t even offer you salt if you needed to cook a meal. I do believe that Russia was better pre Perestroika.

 

Andre picked us up and took us to the airport. There was a bag of things that they thought teen had left, yep, the sighted one. Thankfully we hadn’t left anything. Teen answered. Oh it’s OK they are for the bin… So, Joss will put your stuff in the bin love…?

 

Our lad was a star though and the holiday would be impossible without him. We ask as little as possible from him and try so hard to not let our disability affect him. Some who know us say we cope better than they do who are sighted, it’s just organisation. Oh and stress. We as blind people can never get a last minute holiday. We have to plan and make sure all is in order. And there is so much paperwork now days’ paperwork to me is just bits of waist that should have been left to the trees. Blank papers.

 

Now then, the airport. Beziers airport is just moments from the village under twenty minutes this is another reason this place is perfect. Guess who came up to us as soon as we arrived? The little boy from the taxi saga.  Then his Mum now this story will really shock you it did me. I felt so very sorry for the Mum and kids.

 

So she paid for a taxi in the UK. Never do this Bloggets. She paid almost one hundred pounds now we were to pay £33 each way, she £48 each way, her campsite was five minutes’ drive from where we were. No way it should have been that much. So her taxi was paid for. She was furious that she had to share with us as were we but hey ho.  She asked for an English speaking driver, we got the he she monster with the floppy boobies.

 

Well after us, guess what the thing did to the poor lady? Guess what? Drove her all the way back to the airport. She was five minutes from the place she needed to be and the driver drove all the way back. Then it got worse. Guess what she did next? Told all of the other drivers at the airport not to take the lady. Oh my God. The poor Mum. Two children who were obviously effected by the earlier events not only of the row that her Mum was having on the phone with the person who owns the taxi company, but the fact the poor little girl was swabbed along with her teddy. Bless. Also had their bat and ball removed from them.

 

It took her two and a half hours. The Mum said she was crying. Didn’t speak   a word of French and thought she was stranded. It was pitch black and a driver came and felt sorry for the lady and drove her to where she needed to be but by the time he did that, the shop on site was closed. She has not been to the site we went last year by mistake and there is nothing at all on there no other shop but from the one tiny one that was closed. So the kids had nothing to eat drink? So these companies who offer you pre-paid things, say no. Pay when you get there. It’s fine to book a taxi before you go but pay when you get there.

 

Well we didn’t want to be told off again so we went to the assistance desk. Why? Not really sure. Special assistance told us off in the UK for not telling them we had arrived, they pushed a lift button for us, and when we came home, they told us we would have to wait until last to get on the plane and wait till last to get off. Stuff that for a game of soldiers, we just said thanks but no thanks. Ryanair? They were OK, not as bad as I thought, just don’t fly with them if you are like me, a full figured Fifi. Seriously, they were built for little leprechauns!

 

We had a smooth arrival and headed up loads more stairs for the cases. Gosh we waited ages and were beginning to wonder if ours had been left in France or someone had taken the cases? Teens’ car keys were in his coat in France and I asked him where he was going to put his coat, he said in his case. I told him to give me his keys. He asked why? I said if our case for whatever reason doesn’t get to us, how will we drive home?

 

Thankfully he did but having said that our cases did turn up. If I didn’t have his keys, I would have been past myself.

 

Bless teen again he was amazing. No way we could do the case thing. Well now to find a bus, the right bus. Now these are the numbers we had to remember Bloggets.

So our car was parked at number 6842. Our bus stop was 111. But the bus number was number 9. Our terminal is number 3. Did we win the lottery? Haha.

 

Again with our memory and teens sight, we found the right place to stand. Got on the bus and smiled as two groups of people totally different people had caught the wrong bus. Again sighted people… Bring on teem blindies. Hahahah.

 

Next thing, was our lovely car there? Yep, it was and home James, don’t spare the horses. Mind you, Teen drove fast Shamrock was waiting. Oh and what happened on our return? You will really think I have lost the plot.

 

Part five

On our return home, Teen didn’t even come in the house. He said he would bring the cases in later and he headed off to see Shamrock. We stepped over all of the mail. It was sad not coming home to Dean, our canary, he was Irish you know? First holiday in seven years we have not returned home to either a canary, fish or a terrapin. Don’t really miss the tanked things but our bird I do, though not worrying about him on his own was nice. Before we used to go away, we left him with a full fresh bath and two containers of water as well as fresh food, and never left him for more than a week. We also left the neighbour with a key for emergency.

 

The house smelled lovely. It felt like home. Hang on, it was, home. Haha. But you know what I mean? I cleaned everywhere before I left so there was nothing to do but unpack.

 

Ten minutes after we arrived, our shopping turned up. Heck, that was close? I thought in fact I was sure I ordered it between ten and eleven in the evening giving us loads of time to get settled? Obviously not.

 

Well we had fresh milk for our cupper that was good. Put the shopping away, twenty minutes later, another knock at the door. Hub said who on earth could that be? Teen and Shamrock had returned earlier so not them, mind you neither of them would knock anyway, just walk in, so who was it?

 

A man stood at the door. Hub answered it and I was behind him. You know when you have been away and at five past ten at night a knock at the door? Kind of spooked us. Well, the man announced in a chirpy voice.

“Shopping!”

Em. No? I said in a kind of hesitant response. Shopping? In what name may I ask? Well it was our name so our, shopping from a totally different company. Did I order two loads of groceries? Oh no. Where was my head that week? Moreover, where were we to put all of the food?

 

And now it’s been almost one week since our return. I wish we were back, but our dogs are home safely and one out of two of them is fine and well, but the other not too good, more on that in another blog, but the ladies who took care of our dogs were great, Wagga has been very very close to me since she has come home, but she had a ball of a week. Did something different almost every day and just wait until I tell you about something she did that made my stomach hurt with laughter? In my next blog. Our Little Fella had a free run every single day. His coat feels stunning the lady groomed him too every day bless her and his response to his return has been interesting. So this has been my holiday blog for 2016. From losing my sight where I didn’t want to go anywhere in the world ever again, I wish I was back in wonderful France.

 

To be continued. In 2017? Smile.

© Fiona Cummings

No comments: