translate

Tuesday 13 September 2016

HOLIDAY DIARY 2016 BY FIONA CUMMINGS (PART THREE)


Part three

We had a lovely day Hub and Teen went on the canoe. I took the opportunity to try to vacuum the floor as there was a lot of sand caused by us. Oh my that was fun. When you are not too sure of your surroundings, like where the furniture leaves the area and where it is clear to clean? At home I know where everything is like wires/cables floor standing plant pots and so on, but it was OK and I enjoyed it. Then I went to sit in the garden and took in the sounds sun and sweet smells. I took a cup of coffee out with me and just let the worlds worries wave over my head passing me as they flew along to another time zone. My body actually shivered with pain relief. This was what it was all about. I knew my boys were having a great time the boat was double their length and Teen would be doing most of the work this is what he likes, exercise. I text our dog sitters and all was well at home and my Wagga was having a ball by all accounts. LF was out on a walk every morning. He would love that. It was great to know our babies were well. I really could relax, until that evening then it was time to take a chill pill…

 

So, boys back safe with all of their news and after a dip in the pool, we got ready to go out for dinner. That dreaded walk of pain. Why pain? As most of you will know, I have had four bad falls outside during my adult life and each time I fell on my knees so this has caused damage. My last fall a few months ago on the road has left me with constant pain where at home I am OK I can deal with it, but when you are frog marched on a twenty-minute run with a fit teen, my joints were crunching you could actually hear them. The pain was really bad by this day, as if a huge rusty nail was being driven from the bottom of my leg right through my knee. Then like fireworks, pains would shoot right out from every angle!

 

We went down the almost thirty steps to the grounds and headed towards the front gate. Teen did the usual and pressed the key control. Nothing happened. I thought perhaps the fob needed a new battery?  Teen went to the house and got another key. Same nothing. Oh no… Thankfully we had the number of Andre so we could call him, but, time was running away with itself as the curtains of the cobalt sky were preparing to close!

 

I wondered if I had pressed a button in the house, because I tried to keep the lights off before bed, there were so many switches and a lot of them closed the outside shutters, but two switches acted as the intercom. Poor Teen went back up the stairs to see. I could hear him talking through the speaker so the electrics were working, but what if it was a fuse in the electric box? Where was that? Teen went to look in the spooky cellar. Hub knew that teen would be afraid so he went to find him to be with him. So there I was left at the gate. The odd rustle from the shrubs I hoped was the lizards which frequented the vast grounds. It was so quiet. The place was so big I couldn’t even hear the boy’s voices. Gosh, suddenly I felt a little spooked because of a couple of events that had gone on which I had kept to myself. More on that later.

 

Bare in mind this is an old fisherman’s cottage, right on the shoreline. There was a seven foot gate which lead onto a narrow lane. The bit I didn’t like about the house was how it was open to those who decided to climb up to us. For example, the front of the house where we looked over the beach, there was a gate which was kept closed at the top of the duney steps but it was a short gate not locked. Then you could come through that and go around the side of the house and after a lot of steps, you had access to the front garden, where I was, and once in there, no one could see you. I said a homeless person could live there without a problem. There was a bed, a comfortable sitting room and even a kitchen, if they continued going around the other side, there was an outside shower. We locked the outside bathroom but it was left open when we arrived. Even the door to the cellar was kept unlocked that lead under the swimming pool. You could quite easily be murdered here. Well, all of these thoughts going on in my head, suddenly the smells of the night went from sweet florals and lemons to earthy fragrances.

 

A Russel in the bushes made me jump. I knew the sky was now darker than before and whatever happened to the gate, also effected the garden lights so I was in total darkness.

 

I knew that the house was haunted. I knew it was an old man. Those who are not connected with spirits will now poo poo this but since a tiny child sadly I have felt spirit. If I were not so afraid, I would be quite easily able to talk to them and receive answers. This day I was at the kitchen sink cleaning it and it was whilst the boys were on the sea. I felt a presence. You know, well those who can’t see will know what I mean. When the air becomes heavier and your space seams closed in? I turned so fast my heart was pounding almost jumped out of my body as I naturally went into the attack position, something I was taught to do in self defence classes. Thankfully I kind of half remembered my instructions but as I turned, my memory of such lessons froze, a bit like time stopping still. As I did this, there was a dreadful sound which came from what I picked up on as a man in his eighties or a bit younger. He stood at five feet five roughly and he had a dreadful asthmatic sound to his breathing, possibly emphysema! He was about half an arm from me. If I had not have turned at that point, how much closer would he have got?

 

The same man came to me on night one. Then on day two, something that we were looking for a shower gel for teen, which by the way was a huge bottle, Hub said he had seen it earlier in the day, I looked I knew I packed it, I opened the case and went right through it, leaving the case open so I could put more clothes in the robe. I went to teen and asked him to come upstairs to see if Hub had left it on the dressing table or in our bathroom? You know if you can’t see, you can miss something by one inch. He looked and then looked through the case. He left the room. I continued putting things away. Then Teen came back up and asked for an adapter? I showed him Hubs rucksack where it was, Teen said. “Oh great Mum, you found my shower gel?”” I replied no. He said it’s there Mum, I asked where? He replied by taking my hand, and continuing to say on the suitcase lid. I asked him to show me? Well, I didn’t say anything as didn’t want to spook him, but the case lid was closed, zipped even, and the gel was on the top of the case.

 

I tell you, that case lid was open as I still was taking things out and who put that gel there? None of us that is for sure. I didn’t stay up there for long after that…

 

We sat out that same night and there was a huge crash in the house, we all jumped again we made light of it in front of teen, I just turned the pages of life and moved on as I had a week here and couldn’t let it be so I was so afraid. But at nights I slept with the light on. Spirits don’t like electric.

 

So I’m still at the gate. I don’t have hairs on the back of my neck but I think that night I grew them as my neck prickled. My mouth was dry and I just thought what if this is a conspiracy? Get the boys in the house then lock them in the cellar and murder me? Well just before flight, I heard and I swear this is true just as everything in this blog is, I heard heavy prominent footsteps crunch their way along the side of the house, coming towards me.

 

I shouted on the guys and with my trusty cane I ran as fast as a wounded Fi could run and just wanted to let the whatever know I wasn’t alone, but what if my theory was true and they had been locked in the cellar? Oh gosh!

 

To be continued.

No comments: