translate

Sunday 11 September 2016

HOLIDAY DIARY 2016 BY FIONA CUMMINGS (PART 1)


We are back. Gosh, where to begin? I will have to write this in two parts at least.   I said goodbye to our darling dogs as they went on their holidays with two different people. I wish they could have stayed together, but never mind, when they get back home, in doggy language, they will have loads to tell each other, and apparently my Wagga has had a real busy week. More on her week and her adventures in a later blog. I said goodbye to stress as we locked up our house and headed to the airport in the Teenmobile.

 

 You know we have HIVE. A heating device that we control from our mobile phone, right? It’s great if you can’t see, well, now we have a light from the same company. You just pop the bulb into the ceiling, and you can tell it when to turn on and off. Even how bright you want the light to appear. We set it before we left but we could check it whilst we were away. It’s so easy and very accessible.

 

With the security of knowing our house would not be left in darkness and knowing our dogs were safe and happy, our journey could begin. Teen was to drive us to the airport. I had to pinch myself to think I’m sitting next to my baby. My Son who I only hoped would see enough to be able to do all what I couldn’t ever do. It was a feeling which will always fill me with gratitude. But aside the sight thing, the fact that he is driving, to me  he will always be my baby, now in charge of a machine that in reality is a killing machine. But he was great.  Though we did have to suffer his music. He did try to put on quotes, our music, but it wasn’t my music for sure. Oh my…

 

Teen set his Sat Nav and we headed for the almost two hour drive to the airport. Well, the car park first. I booked it if you remember over the phone, with a combination of that and on line, I did worry if even the carpark would be there? You never know. Oh my goodness, a warning later about something you should never book on line before you go on holiday. I will tell you the story will make you gasp may be feel really sad but laugh your flip flops off.

(Flip flops are footwear you wear on the beach. Haha.)

 

We found the parking place. It recognised Teens registration and the barrier lifted. A good sign. We parked close to the bus stop. A private bus that picked you up and took you to the airport. It was all in with the price. Teen did so well. It was pouring with rain and he parked really close to the shelter. It was the correct one too. After ten minutes the bus came. I confirmed that it was the correct bus, it was and Teen put the cases on the shelf as we sat down.

 

There was a lady in front of me who wanted to know my shoe size. Obviously, she was in shock that two blind people were able to have a holiday? And she wasn’t the only one who was curious to how why and when. Again, more later.

 

Things were happening too smoothly. What on earth could go wrong? How easy we found everything. The weather was cold and wet. So much we needed some nice weather. A stress free week. But first we had to fly with Ryanair…

 

As we entered the airport, again team work by me asking the driver and doing loads of research first before we left the house for weeks, and Teens eyes, we got off at the correct place into the airport and to the desk. Checked in our cases, had the right paperwork, I must say that was stressful as with this company, we had to do everything and their website isn’t blind friendly. But all paperwork in place and off we went. Headed to the duty free shop where the prices were shocking but the free sprays we all had were rather lovely hahahehehe.

 

Now crunch time… We went to get on the aeroplane and we got wrong. A very serious lady told us that they had been waiting for us… I had to tell them when I booked it over the phone that Hub and I were blind. So long story short, after she told us off because we should have gone to confirm with them we were disabled so they could do what I’m not sure, as when they did catch up with us, all she did was tell me I was naughty, haha. And told us we couldn’t use the stairs but had to use the lift. As she pushed the button, she then told us again, they were waiting for us… The lift doors opened. The lady had stayed on the top floor and a man was standing there telling us off again. “Hi, we have been waiting for you…” Oh not again? Anyway, I said sorry, and he grumbled and walked away. So, now what? Assistance? I don’t think so… We headed for the flight and as we found our seats again thanks to Teen, not the staff who had been waiting for us, we sat down. The bit Voluptuous had been dreading. Will the belt buckle?

 

I was left to wonder if this is why the flights were so cheap with Ryanair? Obviously they use less material when making them. I tell you, never before have I felt sorry for a lump of cheese. I swear, the belt was cutting through me like a cheese string. Hub asked if I was OK? And in a much higher voice than normal, I answered yes.

 

A rather abrupt flight attendant told us all to be quiet. She said and that is everyone? Hahaha. No one would dare speak and around the aircraft you could hear echoes of parents hushing their babies. Apart from that and a rather scary moment on the way back again I will tell you about that later, Ryanair in fairness were fine. A safe landing both ways, and even though I did wonder if the aeroplane was going to split in half as it did make sounds I have never heard from an aircraft before, it was OK.

 

  So our holiday began months ago. Organising where when and so on. We picked the same place as last year because we knew what was there and the house I chose on paper seamed to be perfect for us two who are blind and our Son who we didn’t want to stress out too much if at all by guiding us places he didn’t know.

 

The area was or is, called  Grau d’Agde in the south of France. It is a fishing village where the canal meets with the sea along a beautiful white sandy beach. Along the canal and sea, there are wooden steps which lead to restaurants and bars. Mainly fish restaurants, though there are other places to eat for example Thai food, burgers and pizza’s. Everywhere sells salads with of course Provence herbs and oils. Cheeses and olives. There are a few bakers fruit shops and a local convenience shop along with gift shops which sell lovely items such as pottery, Jewry, and unusual things like Buddha’s and fine clothing, along with shells of course and wooden boats. Nothing is tacky though. There is a fair for the young at heart but the nice thing is, nothing leaves you filled with fear and dread.

 

Just under two hours, we had arrived. The heat of the south of France was amazing. It was a tiny airport which was seventeen minutes from our house. Teen bless his heart took the cases off the belt and on our way to get our pre booked taxi. Oh my. What was to come next really was an eye opener.

 

To be continued.

No comments: