translate

Thursday 26 October 2017

MEMORIES OF TIME BY FIONA CUMMINGS


MEMORIES OF TIME

BY FIONA CUMMINGS

As I turn the hands of my grand old clock

I wish for time just to stop

Too many goodbyes

My door has seen

My past has been

As I wait for tomorrow

Hoping without sorrow

 The spring I will see

And then summers will return

The sun will burn

 As the silver rain will keep me cool

I look around my house

Remembering how I made that stool

My Grandfather had such patience

For sure he wasn’t a fool

Such memories I have of him

 And those who stood with him back then

Granny I would bake gingerbread men

And collect the eggs from the hen

My uncle had a farm

It would be there where I would ride a horse

Playing in the hay and grass so coarse

Run and jump on the back of his tractor

The fields would be full of laughter

On that land now

Are holiday cottages

And on the hill the brow

Is still foliage

The only green left

Reaching to the crest

I would roll down there as a child

It was rough and wild

Now there are pathways

And no secret corners

The wildlife are the only things that plays

But still I have my house

Frequented by the dormouse

With his huge black eyes and gold bushy tail

Each winter he, or one like him

 Without fail

Comes to me to find shelter

I still smell the wood on the floor

That has seen so many shoes

And the old barn door

Where coats are hung in winter

That old slate hearth

And coal fire keeps me warm

From all kinds of weather

No matter

Of the storm

In my window I shall have a candle a glow

To welcome any passer by

If I know someone is coming

From my oven will have a baked apple pie

Fruit from the orchard

A stew on the hob

Veg from my allotment

Will fill the pot

If I know they are coming I will bake some bread

My guests will be welcome

For sure they will be fed

I may not have a fortune

Transport or jewels

But a warm cosy house and welcome

And only a few rules

To be honest and trustworthy

And agree to relax and eat food so hearty

I hope to create for you

A lovely memory

To sit in the rocking chair

And enjoy the view

Who will have this house after me?

And what will they do?

I hope they won’t change it

I try to keep the memories a flow

And each time I light my candle

I say a big hello

To those from my past

In my heart they will always be here

There words will always last

They lived in moons gone by

Changes in the sky

But their wisdom was for a lifetime

And all the stars gone by

This world is a changing

All of the time

But the roots will never die

Not in my, mind

And when it’s my turn

To leave this land

I hope it’s them, I will find

They I know will hold my hand

And once again

We will be as one family

Yes, memories all coming back to me

 

© Fiona Cummings

 

No comments: