translate

Saturday 31 August 2019

WHERE HAS TIME GONE? BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Good day Bloggets. Today Hub and I made cheese scones. Wow, they were delicious. Baking isn’t my thing, but they were light and scrumptious.

 

I’m waiting for my Son to come home from work. Poor lad is working 12 days in a row.

 

Our dogs have been on their weekly walk with our lovely Jean. She is a kind lady and they love her. Every week she comes and gives them a free run on the field for an hour. unfortunately, they have discovered crab apples from the tree next door so in our back garden, they fall and our dogs collect and in our front garden, our apple tree has dropped some and Waggatail has found those too, so, munched her way through those this morning. It was so funny the other night, the Little Fella came in from the back garden. He knows he is being naughty but still he comes to tell me he has something in his mouth. I felt his face. It was normal but for his mouth was tightly closed. As he is always laughing, mouth open, I was aware that he was hiding something. Like a prisoner trying to smuggle something into the jail. I told him to leave it drop it…. After a little protest, he dropped his goodies into my hand. It was three, perfectly formed tiny crab apples. Not even a tooth mark in any of them. Stalks included. He knows I will take them off him, an yet still he has to show me what he has managed to hunt.

 

I got some bad news yesterday. A really close friend who I regard as family has been taken to hospital. She couldn’t breathe. She has Pneumonia. That word I hate as that is what my Mum died of. But my Mum smoked so her lungs were damaged. Oh, I really hope she will be OK?

 

Have you heard of the saying caught between the devil and the deep blue sea? Have you ever wondered what it meant? Or it’s origin?

It means someone has had to find themselves stuck between two similar situations and they have to pick one of them. Most times both situations are equally as unpleasant.

 

In nautical circles, the devil is a seam in the planking on a ship or below the waterline.

 

When sailors fell from a footrope, they would either land on deck which was known as the devil’s plank or of course the deep blue sea. So, I guess if sailors fell, and they did so on the devil’s plank, they would have been seriously hurt if not dead but if they fell in the water, that would have been very deep and would they have survived?  Well, from limited research that is what I have learned today.  The phrase has been used since the early 16 hundreds.

 

In our home city a quadruple rainbow was briefly seen then became a triple then double bow. It’s a once in ten year phenomenon

 

It’s dark at 8 pm now. I hate that. Though I can’t see I feel the blackness and it’s too early to be without blue skies. Normally we get till the start of October before it’s dark by 8. And we are still in August. Just.

 

Can you believe it’s September tomorrow? Oh, wow where has this year gone? Is time speeding up or is it just me? Why is it when we get older, we slow down but time speeds up.

 

Wasn’t it Einstein who calculated that the faster we go, the slower time goes, and conversely the slower we go, the faster time goes?

 

When we are young, we do things for the first time and it seems like a big milestone like waiting for Christmas takes ages but now it comes around so fast. There must be a good reason for this? I also read today about a test that was done with a 20 year old and a 70-year-old. They both had no way to tell the time but were both asked to say when they thought a minute was up. The young person guessed almost correctly. The person who was 70 suggested a minute was up after just forty seconds.

I’m not really sure why both people just didn’t count to 60 in their head? Maybe they were asked not to, how difficult must that have been not to count in your head?

 

Well on that note, soon time to count sheep. Haha. We say that in England, to help to get to sleep, we are to count sheep. But before I go,

It’s my baby nieces 10th birthday today. She is my great Niece. If it’s your birthday, I hope you have a good one. Or if you are celebrating anything, enjoy and congratulations.

 

 

No comments: