translate

Tuesday 20 August 2019

TRUST THE SIGHTED ONES BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Today I have been getting the house ready to decorate. My painter is due on Friday. This house is never ending. But for now, letting you into my life, my crazy mind.

A funny story. So, I’m waiting, I’m always waiting. For a delivery. For two deliveries. One of them is two very large boxes of dog food. So heavy I can’t really lift them without making very odd noises. In fact, such odd sounds that the neighbours wouldn’t be blamed if they thought the dinosaurs had made a comeback to the UK!

 

My door bell rang. I of course was in the kitchen. Not cooking for once, but eating. Eating what? don’t even go there. OK, they are called crisps in England and I guess potato chips in some other countries. Not healthy, but hey, they were Thai flavour, so, may be herbs somewhere in there?

No?

Oh!

I digress. As I jumped over the dog bed that found itself in the middle of the hall between the kitchen and sitting room, I landed on a dog toy,

It was solid

Not sure it is now.

Saying a few words that were not clever. Telling my dog to stay. She’s like, em, Mum, I’m not going anywhere. Still, I say stay. Why? So, the person at the door doesn’t run away hahaha if they hear a voice, they may realise I am in and not to do a runner. But thinking about it now, they may think I am telling, rather demanding them, to stay, rather than my dog, oh, well, never mind it worked as he was still there when I opened the front door.

 

As I took my garage key motioning to him as you do when you are blind, just like a sighted person, as if I know what I am pointing at? Oh, that reminds me of something else but later for that one.

 

I ask the person who I think is at the top of my drive as by this point, there are no voices, no van sounds, I tell the man to kindly put the delivery in my garage for me? That’s fine isn’t it? Well it would have been if it was the right man? Em no. it was the man delivering my second delivery. Well I can’t just be cool and say please put it in my garage? Oh no, I have to tell him he is so much stronger than what I am. Now still this person is mute. Could be a five feet four pencil thin lady?

 Few, thank goodness, it was a man. But not delivering my extremely heavy dog food.

Oh

Heck.

It was my two lace doyley’s that I sent for.

Bloggets they are tiny lace cloths I mean tiny. Like they can fit on your hand and are the weight of a feather.

 

So, the guy has this miniscule envelope in his hand. And there’s me saying.  “Oh, please put that in my garage? They are heavy, you are so much stronger than me?””

Heck, I am such a pleb!

 

So, a few weeks ago, a man stood in my upstairs bathroom. As it happens that doesn’t happen often Bloggets. He was a workman. I pointed to my bathroom cupboard under the sink to tell him that was where the item was, he needed to look at. He is like where? I’m saying pointing there. He’s where? Fussing about. I’m there. What is wrong with this man? Who is the blind one? I’m explaining just under the sink there. Well this went on for a while then he got a little close and personal. He started to come towards me. I didn’t move. I have to tell you, by this point he didn’t know I was blind hahaha he was probably thinking the lights are on but there’s no one at home.

 

Well it was a to me to you situation then as he headed towards our Sons bedroom, I realised I was in fact stood in the middle of the landing, not just outside of my bathroom, so when I was pointing to the right, thinking I was next to the bathroom where this cupboard was, in fact I was pointing towards my Sons bedroom door. But come on, if I was to say to you the cupboard under the sink, surely you would look under the sink? I guess rather than listen to my words, he was looking at my actions. They say actions speak louder than words…

 

It’s like when I insisted to my brother that he was going the wrong way the other day as we walked to our restaurant, my brother said no it’s this way I said no you need to turn left he replied no it’s to the right, I’m thinking, bro, I live here I know where I’m going?

Oops

Well, we hadn’t crossed the road yet so he was right I was so wrong. In future trust the sighted ones.

 

 

 

No comments: