translate

Thursday 16 January 2020

FEELING THE MARTIAN BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Well as promised. I shall tell you about the totally embarrassing thing that happened to me the other night, but how I felt about it was interesting. Some years ago, I would have hidden in a dark corner for a month afterwards, now it’s like whatever. Perhaps that is because I have done much worse in my life or I am of that age where I just don’t care…. But I don’t want to be one of those ladies who doesn’t mind if she wears a purple dress and a red hat…. I’m not there yet. Not yet.

 

So, it was a cold dark damp January night. Hub was on a long journey home from work. Oh, and for those who have been writing to me asking how his new job is going, thank you he is really enjoying it I am so pleased to say. Anyway, I digress… I’m waiting for my groceries to arrive. They would be delivered by 9 pm.

 

I have a doorbell, but the knocker chose to knock on the door as if police needing to get in. seriously, I was waiting for the shoulder charge.

 

Hurriedly I rushed to the door. Well, you know we have those silly little boxes we are to put our recycle things in? our bin men didn’t come this week. I thought I heard the man say. “here are your trays!””

Ok they are boxes, not trays. So, any normal person would realise that the man wasn’t offering to hand me my boxes. Me, I’m far from normal, that would be too boring.

 

Also, one’s brain should have kicked in and thought why at that time of night, would a total stranger hand me dirty recycling boxes at my door? But as I said, that would be you or any person with a logical brain.

 

As I put out my hands to receive these boxes/trays…. I felt something so very soft and fluffy.

Thank God I didn’t scream.

But I also didn’t immediately retract my hand, oh, no, not me…. I continued to investigate what the fluffy thing was? A cute dog? In his arms or a kitten?

I mean, again, who brings a dog or kitten to your door in the dark at night?

 

Well rather than take away my hand, I continued to feel this thing before me.

Oh heck. It was only a man’s head, no he wasn’t a lofty challenge person, he was only bending down to put my trays of groceries on my porch mat. Hahahaha Hahahahaha.

Oh, what would he think of me patting and stroking his head? Well, not for long Bloggets, it was only for about four seconds but those seconds to that poor man may have felt like a lifetime.

 

I reached for my bags and he kindly filled them for me as I held them open for him.

He packed them rather quickly.

I can’t imagine why?

 

Funny thing is though, his hair was really incredibly soft and fluffy. It could have been worse; I could have asked him what kind of shampoo he used?

Dam, a lost opportunity.

 

When Hub came home, I told him. I was laughing so hard.

Hub wasn’t.

He was like. “Oh my God Darling.””

Sometimes I think my love had his humour removed at birth.

 

On the same day hours earlier, I emailed someone I have to meet with to tell them they had made a mistake with dates. Telling her she had missed out a full week. Telling her that she said she would see me on the 22nd of January. I was to see her a week after that day I did the follicle discovery. I said to her next week would be the 15th, not the 22nd.

Oh

She wrote back telling me.

“no. today is the 15th, next week is the 22.””

Really? It wasn’t the eighth?

Oh.

Em, well it was the way in which she wrote back.

“No dear, it’s the fifteenth today, add seven days on and that gets us to the 22nd.””

Like I’m some kind of senile elderly lady?

As if!

Well at least I was still in January.

Could have been worse, I could have had us in July.

Thank goodness it was 4 °C

 

Oh, and this was so funny. So, Hub handed me a glass jar, well, what other kind of jars can you get?

and said you have put the pickle jar back empty love, here, deal with the jar please?

So, I unscrewed the lid to pour out the vinegar, saying I’m sure there are a few left?

That sound as the jar is emptying of its liquid.

Oh. Why didn’t I listen to my own voice? I was sure there were some onions in the jar I told Hub this. I could feel them wobbling around the vast jar. And what did I do? Just removed the lid and poured.

Out fell in the sink two pickled onions. I mean, why didn’t I just grab a fork and have a bit poke? Oh no, see if there are any onions in by tipping them out.

 

But last night Hub said that jar of cherries is empty. So, this morning I went to wash the jar out.

Unscrewing the lid, I just freely poured.

Dam

Seven blooming delicious cocktail cherries in the sink.

What is wrong with us? Especially Hub, he is the kind of blind person who can tell the difference between any pickle or jar of sauce and mayonnaise just by the sound if he taps the bottom.

He is a professional blind person. An yet he made these mistakes. Yeah, I was the guilty pourer, but he was the messenger. And I’m such a good wife I do as I’m told…

I do!

And then I do what I want.

 

 And as I said yesterday, this is just month one!

 

Checking through my emails today I didn’t get over excited about at least three of them. One was asking me if I was interested in fungus eliminator, another wished to put 23,000 Euros in my bank and the final one was asking me if my prostrate was the size of a lemon.

 

What is it with these weirdo’s? my Husband and Son talk about them not even being from real people. So, who are they from,

 Martians?

 

 

 

No comments: