translate

Friday 13 September 2019

THE MOUNTAIN (LONGEST POEM I HAVE EVER WRITTEN)#PoetryByFionaCummings


THE MOUNTAIN

BY FIONA CUMMINGS

I’m down at the bottom of the mountain

Next to a beautiful fountain

Wild flowers of orange, white, purple and yellow

Smell so good kind of make me feel mellow

I’m down at the bottom of the mountain

Looking up at you

Under the canape of the sky so blue

Pines planted along the path

Begging me to pass

I need to get to you soon

Before the marshmallow sky kisses its moon

Rocks before me seem daunting

It’s a summers morning

I find the strength to start my climb

To be hand in hand with what is mine

The silver birch does shine

The ivy with me climbs

My breath gets more laboured

Can I keep going so high?

Looking at you there in the sky

 I can just about see a smile

I can feel your love right through me

As I’m being pulled up by a strong tree

Its kind branches seem to encourage me

Giving me energy

I stop still on a huge stone

For a second I feel so alone

I can’t see you now

Hand to my brow

Looking, searching

But not even a shadow

I hang onto a willow

Feeling dizzy

Looking around and on its own is a daisy

Daisy and I have company

After a wrest on a grassy shelf

No time to be lazy

I hope you will wait for me

It’s you I am coming to see

Your name inside I call

As I pass the ancient waterfall

No longer at the bottom of the mountain

Said goodbye to the fountain

Half way up now

But still, where are you?

I turn to look back down

Wow what a view

What a surprise

I couldn’t believe my eyes

I see you standing there

Your beautiful silver hair

Your soul warming smile

You really do care

But you said you would wait

I have walked up over a mile

Nothing else I can see

Only you

And you seem to be holding your arms out for me

Begging me

So, I start to climb down

No longer the birds do sing

There isn’t a person in sight

But hovering above me is a dove

With a huge white feathered wing

It’s guiding me to the bottom of the mountain

Passing the fountain

 I look around, where are you

This cannot be true

At last a golden seat you beckon me towards you

Your hand in mine

I sip your red wine

I take your bread

I ask what you wanted

I couldn’t believe your answer

Telling me I was a dancer

Not ready to be a climber

But when it’s my turn

I will get to the top of the mountain

I said I have been too ill to dance

You said I had one more chance

You watched me come towards you then realised

You said I tried

But it wasn’t my time

I had to fight

But you would give me the belief

As the day turned into night

You filled my heart with relief

Kissing my forehead

These are the words you said

“You drank my wine

Child of mine

You have shown you have the strength to clime

To believe in me

So, in return

This is my plea

As the candles burn

We all need to learn

We have time in this world

We don’t need gold

As that won’t get you to me

We need a kind heart

A warm hug

A gentle kiss

 To get another turn

A second chance

So, my child

Respect the wild

And you will again dance

Love thy neighbour

 Fruits you must savour

Don’t give up

Take spring water from my cup

You are now healthy

Time to leave me””

And from the sky came a carriage

And you headed towards the evening sun,

 so, orange

I felt reborn

And with a yawn

I awoke

Someone spoke

Shouting she’s awake

And from my hospital bed

I looked to the ceiling

Oh, what a feeling

 

© Fiona Cummings

 

 

1 comment:

Hear God's Heart said...

Fiona, you amaze me. Your vision with words is absolutely delicious. Thank you for sharing this. <3