translate

Tuesday 20 March 2018

TIT FOR TAT BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Today has been a good one so far. I went to a local clothing shop, for some shoes. I went with my Son. I came out with two pairs of shoes, and three tops, as we were walking out, I said to my Boy Wonder, is that our alarm beeping? We stopped he looked around and said no, well, got home, there’s an enormous tag on one of my tops… So, it has to go back to the shop. I could write a blog on its own about my shopping today but won’t…. May be another blog.

 

I met with Shamrocks Dad too. He’s really sweet. I warmed to him straight away. So, that’s her two brothers and Dad now. Just the Mum and Sister and her FiancĂ© to go.

 

In the news, in the UK, a car was stolen with a two-year-old little girl in it. The car was driven or crashed into the river and sadly, today that little girl who was pulled out, died.

What happened to the driver?

 

The 23 Russian Diplomats were sent home. Bad really, as they have done nothing, mind you, neither have the 23 that Russia have sent to England. So, we have a saying. Tit for tat… Don’t ask… But I know some of you will be wondering where that saying comes from, so I shall try to find out at the end of this.

 

This is great news. In England/London, Doctors have taken a major step towards treating the most common form of blindness in the UK. Macular degeneration:  

Pioneering stem cell treatment was given to two people and one person’s eye was totally blind now they can read from that eye. Wonderful. Bring on stem cell please… Cells from a human embryo were grown into a patch that was placed into the back of the eye. Eight more patients will take part in this clinical trial. I pray to God it works out and no one gets cancer if they do I would imagine that the trial will stop which is a shame as, even without the treatment that person probably would have developed cancer anyway. But they will wonder if it could be the stem cells. This is what we need or those of us who have Retinitis Pigmentosa.

 

A baby boy has been left in a hospital waiting room in the UK. Still with his umbilical cord attached. Poor baby, if only the Mum knew how he would feel when he grew up. I hope she is OK though. Better leaving her baby there than like a story I read yesterday where a baby was found aged one many years ago with her hands tied in front of her under shrubs in the middle of the countryside. She was a year old and passers by heard her cries. She was cut and scratched by the brambles but other than that, she was fine. She the baby, is now eighty. She has traced her Father to Ireland via America and of course he isn’t alive now, but his family are and have welcomed her. As for her Mother, eventually she also was traced and again obviously noting the ladies age now, the Mother isn’t alive either but it was an interesting story how the elderly lady traced using DNA.

 

Almost thirty years ago in my hometown of Newcastle there were two girls raped within a few years in between. Fast forward now, the man who did it has been arrested. How did they catch him? Well obviously, he’s still an undesirable creep as his neighbours took him to court as he Peed into the garden into a plant pot of his neighbour and the DNA was taken for evidence and guess what? It matched the rape cases in the 80’s… The moral of that story, no matter how long ago you committed your crime, never feel safe….

 

Now (Tit for tat) meaning?

To punish other people because they have done something to you.

So, we sent the Russians back because other Russians have brought poisons chemicals into our country, so, Russia retaliate by doing the same only we haven’t put the Russian people in danger… But anyway, tit for tat?

“An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.”

“Don’t get mad, get even””

Well, Putin is mad but I doubt we will get even.

I am amazed the good old Russians put up with him. Mind you, it will be the new Russians now who will like him. In the good old days, he would have had too much vodka to drink and be done with.

But now money power talks.

In Portuguese, Represalia.

Well, you never know when you are next in Portugal on holiday, this phrase could come in handy. Hahaha. I hope not.

 

The origin is from a book from 1466 by the poet Charles Duke. In cockney rhyming slang it meant hat. And that is as much as I can find…

 

Now I have to be creative in my kitchen, or, shall I have a day off, well, semi off and open my freezer door?

 

 

No comments: