translate

Monday 5 March 2018

BOY WONDERS BIRTHDAY BASH BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Leading up to my Sons 21st birthday, big in the UK. We had real difficulties in our country. Apart from our bin men not coming in some, not mine, but some areas, the mail wasn’t coming either. And, as you know, we shop on line for almost everything and parcels were not being delivered on time either.

So, 21st birthday balloons and 21st wrapping paper was in the mail waiting to get to us when the weather came with big brash blustery boots, so deliveries couldn’t be made.

 

Thankfully the balloons arrived the day before his birthday but not the wrapping paper. It’s not as if I can use that again, is it? It says 21.

 

I bought him a gift from the dogs, he loves cuddly bears etc, My Son has a loving side that is really soft. So, a dog was bought with tan fluffy ears and wearing a white T-shirt saying on it. (Adopted by Boy Wonder) Smile. I got him a tin of sweets with happy birthday BW on and a few other things he needed. His main gift was at the jewellers.

Again, another long story, nothing runs easily. He had to learn he was getting a ring as I needed to know what size he was. Gosh his fingers have grown bigger. He was the same as me until half a year ago now he is two sizes bigger than me. In such a short time.

So, I paid for the ring and we came home. We had to call back there to collect it as they didn’t have one in store, and the cheeky things were going to charge me for delivering the ring from another shop in a different area, to their shop? Me, I don’t think so…

 

All last week I was stressing about getting him a birthday cake. Phone so many shops. I only wanted a small cake because of many reasons. One, he’s not a fan of cake. Two, he’s going on holiday, so wouldn’t really eat it. And three, the proper cakes were almost £40 and they were just a sponge cake and four, after my delicious birthday cake, I don’t think I could eat any other kind now. smile.

 

Well it’s a good job we couldn’t order one, at short notice. I thought cakes would just be there to buy, like they are in supermarkets, but no all had to be made. But with the weather, Hubs been working from home all week, so the places I was going to get one made, were near Hubs work. Miles and miles away from our home.

 Two days ago, Shamrock told us of her new plans, she wanted to host a party for BW in her Mum and Dads house… Heck… But wanted Hub and myself there. So, kind of her to offer that. She even offered to drive us around there. As it is still really dangerous walking on the icy paths. But firstly, his day was spent having breakfast with a couple of people and one he really dislikes as does Shamrock. I must say, she really does sound a weirdo. Not a very smart woman and quite a malicious person too. Not someone anyone would want to spend time with, but sadly for our Son, it had to be done. Bless Shamrock, she couldn’t stand being around her for long either so she had the excuse that she had to leave and sort stuff out for BW, he must have wondered what was to be done, as she had given him her gifts.  But he put himself through that trauma and it was over, now time to enjoy his day, but I could tell, he was so anxious as he smelled a rat as we say, he was suspicious of Shamrocks plans.

 

I hate telling my Son things that are not true. But he kept asking, mum, promise there isn’t going to be a surprise? Well, he is like his Mum and Dad. Hub and I hate surprises. What could I say? It was out of my hands the preparation. Apart from a monetary contribution, and some bottles and a couple of boxes of cakes, it was Shamrocks baby. And bless her she was shattered by the end of the surprise party. As I am sure was her older brother. As he did the cooking and was chief balloon blower.

 

So, BW opened his gifts from us and his cards from our friends, Yvonne and Vivi. Bless them they put checks in for BW and he was so touched. I’m always so proud of him when he receives money of some sort as he is so gracious and almost apologetic. He feels guilty they have spent money on him. My dearest friends were so kind to him, they are our family. My friend Julie also sent a lovely card and thankfully our card from Amazon arrived yesterday too. Even though it was ordered seven days before. And I was told it would be here by five days ago, but again, the weather has stopped everything. I attempted to write it again. I learned the blooming pen ran out half way and started up again. Honestly… But the good news was, he can still read my hand writing.

 My Brother in law took time to send a lovely card and some beer. Again, bless him for doing that. It’s times like this, I wish my parents were here, I do wonder what his Grandparents would have thought of him on his birthdays. Twenty of them now he hasn’t had Grandparents in his life. It hurts.

 

We took a taxi to our town, went to the jewellers to pick up his ring, this would be the first time he saw it. Thankfully he loved it. It’s gold with a black Onyx and a small diamond on one corner.  

 

We went to the restaurant. It was or is, a tapas restaurant. It was quite a walk but Shamrocks navigation skills were spot on. She’s amazing at finding places and this place was so far out of the way tucked away in our town.

 

Up the steep stairs in a very old building a solid wood banister carved from antique wood and a rustic Spanish restaurant waited for us.

 

Well, Tapas I thought was small dishes… So, we were all starving. We ordered four small starters and four small mains each.

Em. They weren’t small.

Large square plates were presented to us. 32 dishes and plates were put onto our tiny table for four. Hahaha. At the end of the meal, we were all so full, we had organised over the phone for a cake to be brought to our Son with a candle. What we didn’t expect was for the whole restaurant to sing happy birthday. They clapped and cheered. Oh, bless. As we sang his name to the happy birthday, at the end of the clapping and cheering people shouted over using our Sons name, Happy birthday. It was so special.

 

The restaurant was small I think it hosts about 46 people.

 

Taxi home and nerves kicked in for me and for Shamrock. My Son knew there was something going on but just didn’t know what. He was also really anxious. I had asked my lovely friend Pauline to text me pretending she was going to meet me and Hub at Debbie’s house for drinks because we didn’t go to the pub quiz this week. Just in case my Son had any last-minute doubts he would hear my text talking as of course our iPhones talk. And right on queue in the middle of our meal, she did the kind deed that was requested of her. She’s a true friend. God bless her.

 

I was to meet with my Sons friends and Shams brothers. Her parents had gone out of town for the night, very brave of them… leaving their house to a load of young people. No way I would do that…

 

Well, we all sat in the sitting room and waited for the text from Sham who was bringing BW to the house, telling him to come in and wait for the taxi to take him to the town where he was to meet with friends. Of course, he wasn’t, his friends were all there.

 

The door opened, BW walked in and everyone cheered. My boy was so overwhelmed he apparently was on the verge of crying. Bless him. One of his friends had come miles away from his University to see him for his big day.

 

Well, we left as party games were about to happen and I received a text from Sham at quarter past eleven to say they were all going into town…

Oh, my goodness.

 

Here’s me thinking he was nice and safe at Shams house. When in fact, he was about to go out into the snow and ice when he would for sure be really drunk as he’s like me, it doesn’t take much to get him that way, as we just don’t drink alcohol really. And after a sleepless night almost four this morning, I received a text from Shamrock again to say they were back at hers. Seriously thank goodness for her, as communication sometimes to my Son is like trying to get through to the queen!

 

I got up through the night and made a cup of tea. It was as strange day. But I’m grateful to Shamrock for including us in her plans as she didn’t have to. This morning, almost the new start to the noon, I spoke to Boy Wonder. He didn’t sound as fragile as I expected and said he was coming home at some point today… It’s 2 pm still not here, but the day isn’t done yet. And he has his packing to do possibly including washing and drying, ironing his clothes to take on holiday tomorrow.

 

Then the five long days start without him home. Hoping to God he will be OK. He’s off abroad. A place where sadly drinking boos is very cheap. Sham loves her drink, but so far BW doesn’t, I just hope to goodness he will not fall down that trap and become reliant on it. It’s a dreadful journey sadly so many people go on in the UK. A culture I really don’t like. Just how it is so addictive. So many of my friends can’t live without it, that is worrying, I guess just as I can’t live without bread… smile.

 

So, I will learn how my boy’s day went yesterday, how he actually felt, but Hub and myself, Shamrock and some lovely people like our friends and his, made his day as special as possible.

 

One more Biggy to go this year. Hubs birthday but that’s not until October and that will have been a year of three so called special/big birthdays in our family!

 

Thanks to my caring Hub, we treat our Son to a birthday to I hope remember. Thanks to Sham for doing her best working hard to provide a party to her parents for giving a house and older brother of Shams for helping so much with party. My friends Vivi, Pauline, Yvonne and Louise, for either cards, gifts kind words and offer of help. Thanks to our Brother and sister in law Rob and Leigh, To Bw’s friends, Mattie, Tom 1 and Tom2, Dom, Jack, Dan, Alex, Zack, Adam, Craig, Gerry and the girls for coming to the party.

 

 

 

  

 

  

 

No comments: