translate

Thursday 23 April 2020

DIARY OF WHATEVER DAY BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Good day Bloggets. Here we are I don’t have a clue of the lockdown day or even the date. I do know it’s April and it’s a Thursday because it’s clap for care tonight, our weekly excitement of going to our front door to hear the hands of our neighbours, bless them all. I shall be clapping not only for every single person who cares for people, that includes you, if you are helping someone in life no matter how small, no matter what you do as long as you are giving up some of your time for someone else, whether it be family or friends, or even if you are helping a stranger even if you are out for your Daly walk and you say hello to someone as you socially distance yourself passing them…

 

 I shall be clapping for all those of you who are working delivering food right now, you are so important and for all of you who are working right now. All work and no play, let’s hope you are all dreaming about the days when you, we are all free again to interact. I miss that as a person who is blind, I really thrive on interaction.  I’m missing my Sons hugs and missing the hugs from my friends when we meet and greet. If you can’t see, you miss out on all those silent smiles or nod of heads, a lift of a hand to wave or a funny or cute view. We exist on voices and contact.

 

We learn a lot through a hand shake, or a kind hand on our shoulder. I personally can tell a lot about someone by their touch.

 

Today I had a day with a difference. I actually broke free from my home. Oh, my goodness, five whole weeks since I was last out properly.

 

I was able to go to the shop for the first time in soooooooooo long. And it was the most eery experience ever.

 

A very kind lady, offered to walk with me to the shop about a mile away. I have never walked there before as there are loads of roads with no beeping crossings and roundabouts to negotiate. It’s not worth risking mine and my Waggatails life for.

 

As we approached the shop, I was told that there was a queue of about fifty people and we would have to stand on the side road as that was the back of the queue.

 

Thankfully the cars avoided us. Few!!! Everyone was so good, like perfect programmed robots, they stood two meters apart and no one said a word. If I had not been told there were people in the queue, I would have never known. I couldn’t hear footsteps even. No shuffling nothing. There was a lovely man meeting and greeting at the door and all the double doors were open.

They must have known I was coming. Hahaha.

 

We were twenty minutes in the shop, for oranges and coffee. Vital shopping, my Husband needs his coffee to keep him alert working all day at home and we need vitamin C.

 

Every isle, we had to stand until it was clear of a person. Oh my… then when we got to the till, a lovely gentleman politely asked us if we would like to go in front as his basket was full. Oh, he was so posh and rather gorgeous sounding, a little like Hugh Grant… He probably had a face like the back of a bus, I didn’t ask the person I was with, I didn’t want to spoil my headspace. Haha.

 

Oh, my goodness. OK so, for you guys who have escaped over the weeks, you will know about the plastic Perspex that have been put in place at the tills? Well, I thought there would be a little window? Oh, no, a bank robber wouldn’t be able to get through this huuu’uuuu’uuuuge wall of plastic.

 

Well it was more like piggin double glazing… could I hear the person on the other side? Nope, unless they didn’t speak. Haha. I swear a jet could have landed at the other side and I wouldn’t have heard it. Well I waved my card and on our way back home and de-corona’d myself, my keys got it as did my phone and the outer bag went in the bin, even though it was taken from my home from the basket holding pre corona bags are stored… changed my clothes and continued my day.

 

I sat in the garden with my dogs and my sister in law called, bless her we had a lovely chat. She has been so good calling me every week. We laughed and spoke about my Mum and life. If my parents were still alive, I would have had to move them in with us, no way I could not see them for so long.

 

I wished I could have got Boy Wonder and Shamrock to live here but they just got their lovely new house I hope they are enjoying that. Shams Dad has been so sweet and we have been keeping in contact by texts. And tonight, as I said, our bigger family as in our neighbours will all join in with the applause at eight o clock. It’s strange all of this for our street as normally by now we would have had at least one BBQ by now, we are a very sociable avenue of all sorts.

 

Well like what I have seen on old news reels and movies from the war, I shall gather around our radio now and listen to our Governments daily news report and hope that the awful journalists who ask the same questions every single day, may have thought of a new question to ask today.

 

Rather than an old gramophone, I shall ask my Alexa device to play the radio and our gathering will be me and the Hubster. If, he has finished work by then.

 

Stay safe everyone. Xxx

 

 

No comments: