translate

Friday 11 October 2019

PLAY BY FIONA CUMMINGS


My Sons bedroom has just been decorated and what a brilliant decorator. You know if you are an old reader, as in been with me for some time rather than age, I have no luck when it comes to workmen, but this guy has done some work for us before and he is the best.

 

In my head I love the colours I have chosen for his room. A little bling going on but hey, it’s my boy….

 

It’s beige with glitter in the paint. The carpet will be a light beige and the ceiling lampshade is like a silk material of different shades of creams and beiges. Curtains I have not thought of yet.

 

We had an amazing joiner doing some work in there and what a great job too, so happy something good has happened.

 

A couple of nights ago, Hub and I went out to a concert that has been booked since Christmas last year. We met with our really great friends Geordie and David. Went for a delicious meal at an Italians and then onto the concert. Such great company and of course the first song were a hymn that reminded me of my lovely dear friend Kinzie. Oh, the words were just so perfect for her. Hub and I had tears. It was really odd. The very first hymn the guys sang. My darling Kinzie would have loved that concert.

 

 Oh, I had tears for her today not a good thing when I have a workman in my house, but I was able to disguise them quite well with years of experience from my past. “The soul would have no rainbow, if the eyes had no tears!”” We are meant to allow our tears to water the seeds of future happiness, heck, I should have an abundance of blooms in that case and my life should be full of only joy.

 

Last night Hub and I went out with our other friend to a play, so thankfully we really have been kept busy this week. Oh, it was a good play and as always, our friend was great company. Her lovely Husband rescued us as we were going to get a bus home but the rain was dirty and constant. We walked about three streets to the bus stop but then he called my friend and said he would come for us. Bless him, as he had been up for so many hours and worked all day. It’s a twenty-minute drive into our town. His car was so warm and comfortable. I was wet right through. I wore a summer pink trouser suit with a cream lace top, but I was caught in a blizzard of water.

 

Hub and my Son are going over our boy’s CV tonight as he has to apply for his own job. Everyone is going to be made redundant so those who are saved will be lucky. I hope my boy will be OK but he is the last one in, normally that is the first out, but his bosses really like him and our boy does so much work for them that is way beyond his job title. Listening in to what he is writing, oh, wow, his English vocabulary is tremendous. I am so proud of my Son and what he has achieved so far in life with regards jobs. Hub and I have done OK with him and there are people in our world who say things like how can blind people be good parents? Well I have friends whose kids have done really well in life we are just like parents who are sighted, only our lives are more challenging, but we can achieve and give our kids the ability to do as well or better than we have been able to. And just like parents who are sighted, we can fail our kids, but in general I think we push them more to achieve more because we want the best for them better than what we had.  But boy, getting to this stage hasn’t been at all easy. I still remember the early days when I tried to teach my Son how to write. Obviously, I was totally blind at that stage too and I had to try to describe the shape of letters to teach my Son. I also bought those plastic magnetic letters the kind you stick on a board, they are great as if you know what printed letters feel like, then you can feel the shape of those. If you read Braille, then you could get someone who can see to help you to stick Braille letters on the plastic letters if you are not sure about print. And I’m sure there are so many things you can now buy to help you if you are blind and your child can see. Way back then I didn’t know anything about what there was out there. My dream was to read to him at bedtime but sadly that wasn’t to be. If only I had learned Braille as there are some brilliant children’s books you can get. But again, I am a Braille failure. So, I used to put on puppet shows with all his cuddlee’s. each toy had a different voice I just had to remember which toy had what kind of voice. I remember one night I was rather tired and I held my Sons huge gold dog. In my head, he had always been a Scottish dog. He was very naughty and my Son loved him the most. I forgot to put his accent on, but I did do his deep voice… My three-year-old said. “Mummy, that is not Rodger!””

I stopped thinking what did he mean, it was his gold dog, it was the Scottish one, I replied what do you mean darling, it’s Rodger, look? He replied no mummy he doesn’t say that like that. He says it like this, and then he went on to pronounce a word in a really funny way that was my Sons impression of a Scottish accent.  So how a child can really get into something. I used to feel as if I had put on a play for him every night and just wished that I could pick up a book and read it to him. I wish I had someone who could have done that for me sometimes but moreover I wish I had learned Braille but I guess there wasn’t much time to do that in the space of me going blind when he was one to the time I half accepted I should have learned Braille to the time before he wouldn’t just lay there and listen to his Mum reading to him.

 

But who knows, may be that is why my Son has such a caring personality, because his teddy Sarah was the one with morels and Rodger used to be the one who did things wrong. My stories always used to make my boy laugh and always had a happy ending with a lesson. I’m not too sure all story books do that…

    

Nothing planned for the weekend, how about you? My Sons girlfriend Shamrock got her nails done during the week and my friend is getting hers done today. She is talking about getting a dark maroon with the ring finger a silver sparkle. Doesn’t that sound beautiful? Sham was telling me the trend for the summer among young people was bright yellow or green. Gosh, not sure about those colours, are you? Though in my younger days I may have liked the yellow as that was my favourite colour to wear.  But now I think I would stick to the maroon and sparkle.

 

OK here is a bad story gone well. A 91-year-old man who was a fire fighter and Policeman had £15,000 conned from him by phone hackers has had pay back from the public. Kind of a thank you for all the amazing work he did as a firefighter and Policeman and in 24 hours, some members of the British public raised money to replace all of the gent’s money that was taken from him. People who never even knew this man. Total strangers. This shows the kindness of people still in a world that seems to be coming less caring.

 

Well as the night now closes and the sky tells me it’s too cold to be outside, I thank goodness I have a warm house and I’m grateful for my loving family and dear friends, I’m so pleased we have our Blogget family too!

 

Forget your troubles and let this blissful night lull you into a peaceful sleep.

Tomorrow starts with a blank page. Put pleasant thoughts in your mind so you can start to write beautiful chapters tomorrow!

© Fiona Cummings

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: