translate

Friday 22 November 2019

BACK TO BEFORE BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Isn’t it funny if you are blind, it is presumed that you can read Braille? What if you can’t, what if you have just lost your sight and have not had chance or desire to learn such a difficult challenge like Braille, to sighted people, those dots may look easy, well when I had sight, I used to read Braille with my eyes. And I only read it on the quiet as I was not allowed to learn Braille at school. Now my aging fingers struggle to differentiate the dots especially now that most of it is written in what I call short hand. They call it contracted Braille.  Loads of dots clumped together to make one word. Rather than individual dots.

 

I just wish my Husband had the patients to teach me.

 

I really love board games but can not find anything that Hub and I could play. There are a few games if you know Braille will be possible or if you can see large print, but nothing if you are totally blind and don’t read Braille, well not that I can find. If you Bloggets know of any games that are possible apart from tactile domino’s, then please can you let me know? Either by my blog page or email me at


 

Yesterday, was a day of huge disappointments but today is another day. As for last night? Oh, my goodness. Let me tell you

I have only got two experiences with Air BnB. My friend took her children to London all very young, all three of them. When they arrived, there was no house. They were stuck in London with three small children at night as they spent all afternoon trying to find a property that didn’t exist. My Son booked with that awful company two months ago and he has paid for the flights, carparking, transfers and passes into attractions. There are ten of them going. They booked a perfect apartment right in the centre. He was due to fly today at 7 am.

 

Last night at half five in the evening, the person who owns the apartment cancelled on the kids. Well my Son spent over three hours on the phone and Air BnB were absolutely shocking. So unhelpful. Also, the   money the friends all paid my Son to pay for the holiday will be transferred but they won’t see it in his bank until up to fifteen days.

 

Air BnB sent my Son a list of other properties, he called eight of them. All eight said no they wouldn’t take a group of ten young people. So that left two properties. One was lovely, but it was more than double what the first property was so not only did the kids have to find double the money, but they had to find all of the money as they refund wouldn’t be in the bank in time for them to rebook somewhere else. Then the second property was forty minutes out of the city. It also looked like in my Sons words, a crack house. There are ten of them so taxis would have to be taken and it looked like they were in the middle of nowhere. So, would there even be taxi’s? they would have to take three cars how much money would that be? Not to say anything about the time waisted in transit.

 

Well in the future I would tell everyone to give Air BnB a wide birth though I do have a friend who uses them all the time but two I have known now have had bad experiences.

 

Well after being up all night they booked a hotel. Thankfully all in the same place. But this means more money.

 

Not long been in with Waggatail. I fear she is really aging. She has a year and a half before she is due to retire from being a guide dog but the past couple of weeks, I have noticed a change in the way she works. Maybe it’s the cold, as it’s freezing, but let’s see, as tomorrow Hub and I are hoping to go to the park and she loves it there so see how old she is walking there?

 

There are so many different kinds of textures on our paths and roads at the moment. A combination between soggy leaves, soil that has turned into mud with the rain, stones that have been swept from gardens and the rough ground caused by bad weather. This is all new for this season. We as people who are blind have to feel with our feet as we walk a skill I am still learning. Our feet become our hands. Concrete turns to tarmac turns to pavestone’s that then finds gravel, grass and so on. Different textures give us clues where we are and where we are to go.

 

We listen and try to take in different smells to learn where we are. Passing perfume shops, food stores, our local grocery shop always smells of soap powder. Restaurants, coffee shops and so on. Different sounds we listen for. hairdressers with their hair dryers, vets with hopefully a barking dog as we pass the window and shopping trolleys as we walk towards our grocery store. Sounds like extractor fans and even around here there is an electric power box that makes a sound like a small generator. I hear the geese on our lake in the park and if we are really close, ducks landing on the water.

 

I have even learned the sounds of my neighbour’s cars. Different cars, different engines.

 

Now I just need to learn Braille. Gosh I wish I could get my brain there. So many people say there is no need for Braille these days, normally those people are with some sight. I can tell you Braille is so important.

1, a Braille watch is less intrusive. Sometimes in that boring lecture, meeting or visit with a friend/relative, you want to check out the time without having to let the whole room know what you are doing. If your watch isn’t voice active, then it helps.

 

2, to be able to read to your child at bedtime is a gift I never had sadly.

 

3, to be able to receive your bills in a format you can understand!

 

4, to know who your Christmas/birthday card is from if your friends/family send you one in Braille

 

5, at the workplace it’s good to be able to check notes during say, a conference/meeting, again not wanting to have a voice speaking to the rest of your colleagues!

 

6, to mark medication.

 

7, to be able to keep your paperwork in order in a labelled file. And of course, where we started earlier, to be able to play board games with the rest of your family.

 

  Can you imagine if people who ar blind say to sighted people? No need to be able to learn to read or write, as you can talk into your phones and even use voice activation on your lap tops? It wouldn’t happen, so, why should people who can’t see be told they shouldn’t read or write? And again, back to where I started, how people just presume that we automatically can read Braille, it amuses me as if when our sight goes, that old myth our hearing improves, so, our vision goes so we develop the skill of overnight knowing Braille?

 

If people who are with sight knew the hard work that is put into us using our cane, the training, the confidence building that goes on before we head out on our own in that big bad world, again, it’s not an overnight thing. This is something that is thought about sometimes for years. For me personally it took two years.  But my decision to get a guide dog took only a year. Both decisions were for someone else as if it was just for me, then I would be that person still sitting in my house waiting for someone to take me out. That is such a very sad situation where I still find myself in to some degree although we may have a white cane, at the end of the day, it’s a stick. It’s not a magical broom that will whisk you away to wherever you want to go. It won’t guide you; you have to guide the cane.

 

We may have a guide dog, again, 18 months of training for your new dog and five weeks training for us with the dog. Then a year of getting that partnership built up with you and your guide dog.

 

Back to before, if you know of any board games that can be played by someone who is blind with another blind person and one can’t read Braille, then please let me know?

 

Have a lovely weekend. X

 

 

 

 

No comments: