translate

Friday 21 February 2020

DIARY OF BIRTHDAY BLIND CARPET BY FIONA CUMMINGS


Hello Bloggets. Sorry it’s been a while but been busy here in the Fifi household. It was my birthday last week, thank you all for the lovely messages, emails cards etc. from my Husband I received some amazing earphones that if I start to think of how they work, I would possibly freak out. No wires or plugs. Haha. My Son bought the most thoughtful gifts. He is fabulous at knowing what to buy. They just kept coming. He bought me too much and then Shamrock came with more gifts. Gosh a lucky wife and Mum.

 

My birthdays have always been a bit of a sore point in my life, though I have had the most rememberable ones the kind that don’t happen to the norm, but hey, I’m far from norm. haha. But still it was the day I was born and for that I have always had deep thoughts. My Husband is the same but in a different way, but because of what happened in both of our lives eleven years ago and for me last year too, I have a future, the only trouble is now, my future is getting shorter… it’s running away with my mind and thoughts, so, I hope I can pack in a  life time of dreams over the next however many years, birthdays, candles I have to blow out, I have left on planet earth.

 

Hub and I have been shopping with our Son and Sham. They are getting their lovely house ready to be a home. It’s too cute for words. Hub and I are so happy and to be a house owner at such young ages is amazing.

 

Well let me try to tell you about my day and part of my life. oh, this is so funny off paper, not too sure how it will come about in writing.

My old Bloggets may remember a cream carpet I ordered for our Sons bedroom. It came when he was on holiday. It was down a week. I even gave a telephone survey saying I would give the carpet, and company as well as fitters, 10 out of ten, but our boy looked in shock when he returned to England, telling me my cream carpet, well, wasn’t cream…. They had delivered and fitted the wrong carpet and cream became purple…. Dark beetroot…

 

Well the company came and sorted but I think now, the blind carpet story is famous in our local carpet shop.

 

So, for our stair carpet, I bought a beige carpet. Well the van pulled up to lay it. I opened the door. He shouted to me; I have the wrong address…. He then laughed. What a joker…. Obviously, he remembered the purple carpet and was taking the Michael….

 

I laughed.

He laughed.

I told him not to bring a purple one in.

He laughed again saying no, this is not purple. I asked if it was beige? Yes, he replied. I will show you.

I laughed again. Silly man knows I’m blind…. But he says he will show me.

Well he came in, he insisted on showing me the carpet. I said you are funny. He laughed again, such a cheerful guy… I then asked him where his partner was? He replied. No partner love, I work on my own. I replied. No, last time you were with someone. He answered. No, never, always on my own. Then he said. I have never been here. Oh, I didn’t stop there. I replied. You came last year to lay the bedroom carpet. No. he didn’t.

Oops

Wrong guy.

What a dope I am.

I mean why would a large company use only two fitters? Of course, they have a selection of them. But it got better.

 

Trying to hang on to Waggatail the wonderful guide dog, as she wanted to show the guy how friendly she was by doing an impression of a scarf, around his neck…. I put my hand on the money I had to pay him, just in case it got knocked off the coffee table as he was pulling and carrying the carpet and underlay through. The man was out of sight.

If I had any.

And feeling for the money with on hand, the other on the wagging one’s collar, I knocked over my small vase of daffodils.

Oh, no, water everywhere.

I picked it up, went into the kitchen to get some kitchen towelling. Got down on the floor to wipe up all the water. Just then I heard the guy coming down the stairs. Oh no, I couldn’t let him see I had spilled something. So, I quickly dried up the floor and grabbed my tiny energetic beasty girl. I then pretended I was playing with her, stuffing the kitchen roll behind the chair… acting like everything was normal and I hadn’t had a blindie moment.

He said.

“Oh love, have you spilled some water?”

Well I was speechless, I mean, how did he know? I then in a red fluster replied.

“oh, yes a little water, but it’s OK, I will clean it up….””

 

As he left the front door to get tools, I suddenly thought, Fifi, he wasn’t volunteering to clean it up for you honey….

 

Well when he left, I gave him his money. Then went around the landing and our landing is so big, and I picked up all the bits of carpet. The last guys cleaned it up so well. This man didn’t even ask for a bag or vacuum… I emptied the vacuum six times and filled a bag half full of larger pieces of carpet and underlay. Obviously, he saw my floor cleaning skills and thought I will leave it to her she can cope. Haha.

 

I then came to wipe up all the coffee table making sure it was bone dry. Where does that expression come from? Bone dry?

 

Oh, no. There it was, winking at me.

£10       

I only underpaid him….

I text him telling him. He said he would come back the next morning at 8

Eight?

Well there I was the next day, bright and early, well, not so bright, but definitely early.

Where was he?

Not here for sure. I text him again, he said sorry love I forgot. well his money is here for when he can be bothered to turn up.

 

The last guys who did my carpet one of them was so upset because his dog had just died.

This man, he was going to wait another 24 hours and get his dog put to sleep as it was so ill bless her.

I guess the moral of this story is, if you ar a dog owner and a carpet fitter, don’t come near me.

 

Today our Son went out with his Dad to play with tech. Hub was meant to do his jump today his parachute jump but it was cancelled because of storms. So instead the boys went to play and our boy was so happy when he came back as his Dad treat him to an early birthday gift. My baby has a very kind Daddy but our boy was so very grateful. He is such a lovely lad.

 

Hub and I are out to the theatre and a meal with our dear friends Geordie my footballer’s wife and, well the footballer, her Hub. Haha. I can’t wait. The four of us get on so well.

 

Before I go, I would like to say get well soon DaveKwiecinski, and if you, have been in hospital of late I hope for you a speedy recovery too!

 

Have a safe weekend. X

No comments: