translate

Tuesday 4 February 2020

A TOWN CALLED JOY BY FIONA CUMMINGS


This is semi deep I hope thought provoking!

Well when I write my blogs, I like to write what is on my mind, so, for todays subject it’s just that what is on my mind and yours.

 

I was just thinking about perspectives. When you feel like you are having a bad day, try to think about how your life could be worse? Is that a half cup empty or a cup half full? I think the latter is healthier, but sometimes my cup has a crack in it! Let’s chat about feelings.

 

Have you had one of those moments in your life where you have a special piece of jewellery, say a ring, you feel empty, naked somehow, you look or in my case feel the ring finger? It’s that, emptiness. The mark is there from the ring, but the ring is missing.

 

Your heart drops and your stomach lifts so hard and fast it almost regurgitates from your now open mouth. Open in shock and disbelief.

 

You are hot but shiver with fear and realisation that your most treasured item apart from your loved ones has gone. Where is it? Who has picked it up? It’s a mini grief, I think. If you have never had that experience you are lucky. To some they have nothing at all sentimental. I often think this is the best way to be.

 

Dusting the other day, I picked up a beautiful ornament that my dear friend Kingsie bought me some years ago. I got anxious in case I dropped it. I place it back with care feeling so sad that now she has gone an yet I have not only a memory of her but this item that I will treasure forever, but what if one day that breaks? Again, how sad will I feel?

 

In my sadness of missing my friend, I felt a warmth that she still lives on in my house not only my heart as in my heart, no one can remove her or break her. And at the end of the day, that is the most important thing, what is in your heart. Her fingerprint touched my heart eighteen years ago and will remain there until we meet again, perhaps in another world that will be much kinder to us both. But will I know her in the next land? I have a belief that when we think we have met our soul mate, it’s because they were in our lives in another world. That is how my Husband and I feel.

 

Remember how you felt on your first day at school? For me it was awful. My first school was so difficult as back then it was before Russia and before learning how to be partially sighted. When I say that, at first when you are tiny and you can’t se as well as the other children around you, you are totally oblivious. Your friends run, as do you. Only sometimes you fall as when running with my eye condition, I couldn’t focus. I would not see the steps, or the wall or the person in my way.

 

I didn’t know when I was little, as in four, that I would be the one who would get told off for not writing as fast as my friends because they could see well enough to copy the blackboard. I was the one who would open my reading book like my friends, but it was me who’s eyes absolutely stung when trying to see back then without glasses. As a tiny child I thought it was normal to hurt like that, so never said anything. It was only when I got older that I learned I needed glasses. That made the pain less but I still got so tired when reading as could only see a part of one letter on the whole page at a time.  All my friends had read their book, and were already writing what was necessary to complete work for class that day. Me, I had to suffer detention, but as I got older, I learned to read the synopsis on the back cover and use my active imagination to fill in the gaps. I smile with pride now as I got so many awards and points, a badge almost every week on the board for good work. But what if I hadn’t had had a good imagination or the ability to read the back of the book and fill in the gaps.

 

I was the one who couldn’t see to get to the local disco and I was the one who had to go to hellish boarding school at the age of six and couldn’t learn to drive like my sighted friends.  But I learned as I got older, I learned to slow down when running, to be cunning during lessons. To satisfy myself not going to the places other people went to at my age and to catch a bus if I needed to get places.

 

And then at seventeen I became that prisoner, trapped in a marriage of contempt of being led and taken places. Chained by what life had in for me and what I was prepared to except.

 Eleven years after I lost all of my vision, I learned how to be blind. Though this lesson is difficult, and can be so painful, mainly due to others thoughts of people who are blind, but I’m still learning and teaching and now I’m ready to face the next stage in my life of lessons and that is how sighted people live. Surely it must be so easy?

 

For those who are sighted, those who are having a bad day. I would love to try your life especially if you don’t really have anything too bad going on in your world.

 

I’m ready to live your life for you if you are not happy with what is going on. Please give me a chance to see. And let me teach people how lucky they are.

 

I thank God every day for my Husband and my Son. And for the thought that one day I can be united with those I want in my life and for my lovely house and to some standards my lifestyle. But there are dark days and those days I have to push on walk tall and climb up out of the ditch and walk along those undulating paths to a town called Joy!

 

© Fiona Cummings

 

No comments: